“Satisfying” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of John Ash & Co Restaurant

John Ash & Co Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
John Ash & Co Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 523 Restaurants in Santa Rosa
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene, Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly, View
Dining options: Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: River Rd. and Hwy 101
Santa Rosa, California, United States
“Satisfying”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I went with three fiends and we all had a great time, a good meal and a pleasant experience in a wonderful dining room. Our meals were very good but not great. All were very good, but none had that breakout exceptional title. Well prepared, tasty and good quality. I would go back again. Overall we had a good time, a good meal in a very beautiful environment.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Allen H

Ennis, Montana
“Hesitant to post negative material”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

I really hate to post negative material but I was asked by trip advisor to complete my post. We went on May 10 for a birthday. I was satisfied with my salmon and was definitely looking forward to the first wild king of the season. My husband ordered calamari appetiser and he said it was so greasy he took acid reducers when we got home. Our daughter had crab cakes and all of tried a bit and agreed they were tasting off and very fishy. Jim, her boyfriend (his birthday) had the chicken and he said it was 'fine' meaning so so...we have eaten there many times and are disappointed May or my not go back. I took a cooking class from John Ash in Bend Oregon. I'm thinking this fellow would be unhappy with these meals also.

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Judee M
Florida
“Very good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

The food was fab, even a simple burger was super. We loved it so much we came more than once . Drinks can be a little on the expensive side.

Visited April 2014
Tahoe, California
“Good but not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

This is a mixed place to me. Some wild differences in the different aspects of this establishment. I'll break it out.
Staff - Excellent can't say enough good about the waiters and waitresses and sommelier. They were fun, comfortable, helpful and just great.
Speed - Horrible waited to the point of suffering for course changes and would not see food for way too long. The evening lasted from 7 to 10 for us and that was on a Sunday night. I fear how slow this place might be in a worse time. Albeit it was a full house when we were there.
Wine List - Extensive and appears great and my selection was exceptional and new to me.
Appetizers and Salads - Not great. Some bad. Two salads were bland and non-inspiring. Calamari was undercooked and a bit of uncooked dough to me. At $15 a crack I expect these to be excellent.
Main courses - Great. Halibut and Beef Fillet over the top and the side veggies were fantastic.
Dessert - Fair. Coffee was not great either.
Ambience - Fantastic, wonderfully decorated and comfortable. The bar is a place to surly see, it has a real nice vibe and is comfortable. The dining room on the patio is amazing with glass panels and heaters when it cools off. Lighting in and out is great.

I would go back if staying at the adjoining Vintners Inn for the convenience, however, would not likely drive to this location just for the dining. It is very nice and comfortable and beautiful but the food and overall dining priced at a high level that does not match the dining experience in my opinion. They need to do the following to move this up the scale:
1. Improve the quality of the appetizers and salads, and lower the prices from $15 to about $10
2. Improve the quality of the deserts.
3. Increase the selections, they are very limited, perhaps only 6 to 10 items in the appetizer and the same number of main courses and fewer desserts.
4. Be more prompt with the service, keep the flow going from course to course, I don't want dinner to last 3 hours.

I'm critical because of the price at $30-40 for main courses and $15 for appetizers and desserts, the prices are high IMHO and the delivery doesn't match that pricing to me.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Flyboy22
San Jose CA
“Not as good as it used to be....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

which is a real shame.

I was doing a 65+ mile bike ride the next day so I did a little carb loading indulgence. Gnocchi, anyone? Mine tasted great initially, but after the first bite or so the only thing I could taste was the butter it was drenched in. My main dish is forgettable--literally, I have forgotten what I ordered. That really is not good. Unfortunately, after years of looking forward to dining here, I am afraid that I won't be coming back. Since this was a destination restaurant for me, and on the high end, and in an area with a plethora of really good restaurants, it is time for me to branch out and try some other places to eat.

I've given 3 stars overall, but 5 for romance, atmosphere and special occasions. The garden/patio area is delightful and very elegantly impressive. They just need to figure out the food again.....

• Visited May 2014