“Great Location, Helpful Staff”

Hyatt Regency Sonoma Wine Country
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I booked this hotel using points so I did not have to pay anything. I thought the rooms were average in size and quality. I did like our room on the 3rd floor overlooking the fire pit. That was nice. We enjoyed sittign at the fire pit at night as many people crowded around.
The hotel is in a great spot. There are a few blocks of "old town" type shops just across the street dn down a few blocks is a small mall and a wide variety fo good restaraunts. We walked to one for dinner and another for breakfast.
We only stayed one night and were heading out to visit some wineries and one of the staff asked if I needed help. When I told him we planned to drink some wine, he got us some water bottles from the frig and told us to see the concierge. The concierge then mapped out some good wineries for us to visit and gave us some free tasting passes! I really liked this perk and thought the staff went the extra mile to make my stay better.

Room Tip: We had a room on the river side and overlooking the fire pit which was excellent.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,108)

Reviewed 8 August 2013

All in all our stay at the Hyatt Vineyard Creek was satisfactory, but there was nothing exceptional about the hotel. Standard cookie cutter large hotel chain style rooms.

We stayed over a weekend and took advantage of a friend's wedding rate, which was around $220 a night without taxes. Its not great value, but its not bad either. The rate came down to $130 (non refundable, advance purchase) for a Sunday night on the hotel website, which I think is very reasonable for the property, and would boost my rating up to four stars had we took advantage of this for our entire stay. Free wifi and parking for the stay was a plus. But beware that the parking (at least in the summer) gets full quite quickly.

Check in was smooth, even though we had to wait around 10 minutes. I appreciated the strawberry water that they have in the lobby as a refreshment. One complaint about check in was that our request to change our king size to a double bed room was denied. We also asked about adding a rollaway bed in our king sized bed room, but this was denied. There is ample space in a the king size bed room for an extra rollaway, but I assume that it is a fire code violation or some other reasoning as the hotel was not willing to add an extra bed in the room. Staff, however, are friendly and smile and greet guests whenever they see you.

We stayed in a courtyard facing room, which was fine, nothing particularly exciting. We could have used a larger window in the room, as the existing one is quite small. The blackout curtains are a nice touch as it does get quite bright in the mornings and afternoons. I did not like the flourescent lighting in the room. Whether it was a ceiling light, bedside or desk lamp, they are include unflattering flourescent lighting. Thank goodness this was not a romantic getaway otherwise we would not have looked attractive at night. They should change the light bulbs for sure. It did not create a pleasant atmosphere in the room.

The bathroom is also quite standard, and includes a one cup coffee maker. Towels are dingy. I would say the best part about the hotel is perhaps the location. It is a short walk away from the main strip where all of the restaurants and shops are, and a ten minute walk away from a grocery store called Dave's. One of the highlights of our trip was trying the NitroKarma ice cream at Dave's, food at Russian River Beer and a Vietnamnese restaurant. Otherwise, I didn't really like Santa Rosa that much and while the hotel was fine, I probably will not go back to this area again. I'll probably stay in Healdsburg if I go back to the Sonoma area.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Just spent five days at this Hyatt and quite frankly would not stay there again. First, while the room was an average size, once I turned on the lights I felt I was in a cheaper hotel. That's because everywhere I turned I saw signs of cutting costs. Cheap towels, few TV channels, and mold in my bathroom, a first in staying at a hotel which charged over $200 a night. The restaurant is adjacent to the hotel and you have to walk outside to get to it. I ordered room service for three days so not to go out in drizzly weather. The breakfast room service was excellent. There is a bar in the main lobby but only saw it open one night. Two large planters outside the front door were dripping white fungus. They need to get there act together. Doesn't deserve Hyatt reputation.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jennifer K
Reviewed 5 August 2013

In the old Railroad Square area of Santa Rosa, the Hyatt Vineyard Creek is a great option for being your home-away-from home while touring Napa, Sonoma or the coast. First and foremost, the service at the hotel is flat-out wonderful. Everyone seems geared to enhance every aspect of your stay. The property is convenient to the 101 Freeway so getting anyplace is a breeze. The rooms are nicely sized, furnished appropriately and comfortable. Ground floor rooms around the courtyard and pool have patios which is a nice touch. Relative to the hotels in Napa, Sonoma, Rutherford, etc - this Hyatt is a superior value as one would pay 2x more for the same level of service. Perfect for a weekend away from the daily grind!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool or interior courtyard have pleasant views as opposed to the parking lots...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I called the hotel and asked if they had availiblily. Front deck said yes they had rooms, and they were slow..We were driving from Sonoma so we didnt reserve instead just walked in. When we got there the man working front deck gave us a very negitive look and quickly said they were sold out! NOT THE CASE! I felt very sure he look at me and decided he didn't want to sell a room based on the color of my skin..Maybe my clothing. ( short sleave button up with lite color trousers).. I called the 800 number and the reservation line said they had availiblily. I felt so humiliated!! I told her about what happened! Then the front desk called me and apologies insincerely, offering discounts. I don't need to be treated this way. How dare the front desk staff discriminate against me like this! I've stay in W hotels, westin, Hilton's, crown plazas, and never seen anything like this. Hyatt has lost my business forever. I'd stay at a rodeway hotel before a Hyatt now. (Never have before) DONT GO HERE! Racist & pretentious ! Courtyard by Marriott, right across the road was cheaper and incredibly nice staff. Stayed there next night.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Skycitynem
Martijn S, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Sonoma Wine Country, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Dear Skycitynem,

First and foremost I would like to apologize for the service shortcomings you experienced. The Hyatt as a company and the hyatt Vineyard Creek as a hotel do not allow differentiation in treatments of our guests and I can assure you that I am investigating the issues mentioned in your feedback. I would like to be able to discuss this matter with you at your convenience. Please contact me directly at 707-636-8150

Martijn Sax

Reviewed 4 August 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the hotel. We used this as a base to see the area, so we visited Bodega Bay, Sonoma, and Napa. The front desk staff was courteous, and provided a corkscrew and chilling for wines that we purchased. We liked the area, and walked to dinner--the restaurants in the area were great. I had read reviews which talked about homeless people, but I didn't see any. There was a mission in the area, but we felt safe on evening walks in the area. We had treatments at the spa and enjoyed the service there. The pool area was nice.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2013

The hotel in general is decent, but their room description on the website is misleading, I stayed in the 2 queen beds executive suite, which suppose to have the jetted spa tub per their website room description, but disappointed to find no jetted spa in the room. Front desk told me they only have partial suites have jetted spa, be careful so you will not be disappointed if you expect to enjoy the spa in room.

Room Tip: Avoid the 2 queen beds suite they do not have jetted spa.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Best Western Plus Garden Inn
#5 of 24 in Santa Rosa
Hilton Garden Inn Sonoma County Airport
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sonoma Wine Country

Been to Hyatt Regency Sonoma Wine Country? Share your experiences!