“Enjoyable evening!”
Review of La Gare

La Gare
Reserve with OpenTable
La Gare is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 543 Restaurants in Santa Rosa
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between 3rd & 4th Streets in Historic Railroad Square
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We loved the ambiance of this restaurant. The age, décor, music and surroundings all added to a very enjoyable evening. The service was excellent. We ordered shrimp cocktail (loaded with baby shrimp), French onion soup (very good), and shared the duck dinner complete with salad and mushroom soup and 3 sides-rice (bland) and vegetable (cooked just right). The duck was not as crisp as we like but the sauce had an excellent flavor. A very generous pour of wine (that we ordered by the glass). We will return to try other dishes when in town.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

My bride and I were on a 4 night mini-vacation in Santa Rosa. We had lived in San Francisco since 1971 and then moved to Marin in 2007. This was my first time staying in Santa Rosa. We stayed in the Railroad Square area in Hotel La Rose and at out every night. La Gare is a block from the hotel on the same street. Why did I love La Gare? Let me count the ways...
1. I loved the genuine conversation with Christie the owner as we entered. (I had to apologize for being a no show the night before ... I had put in the wrong date). She walked us to our table and stayed to chat for a few minutes and shared information about her restaurant and her love for Hot Couture a shop just down the street. Not an experience I have in a restaurant unless I'd being going there for 10+ years and was "known."
2. It carried over to John, our server. He was personable, knowlegeable, and interesting with a good sense of humour. And a great dessert at table chef as well. But I get ahead of myself.
3. The food was old school French restaurant in America. We had a half bottle of Merry Edwards Sauvignon Blanc, my personal favorite. We started with the vegetable soup included in the entree price. It was great.. just the right size, a basic pureed root vegetable stock with mushroom bits. Really good. And the fellow who cleared the plates got the answer to our question from the chef about a particular taste... and with a sense of humor as well "I don't know what's in it but I've had two bowls already myself...". Next I had the Christie salad... a classic Boston lettuce salad a bit overdressed with a nice vinaigrette.. maybe champagne? But what was cool was it was a deconstructed salad, a pile of hearts of palm here, grated carrot there, and chopped olives somewhere in between. Quite unique.. not fussy, just a salad with "audience participation." Main was frogs legs provencale. I think I would have like the bordolaise sauce better but still very good. But the dessert was really old school... Cherries Jubilee (tasted fresh) made by John at table. Flames, booze, tasted wunnerful. Wheeeeeee....
4. Walked back holding hands to the Hotel with big smile on my face. Dining out can be FUN and this was...

2  Thank NaturalHorseman
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Our first time at LaGare, and it won't be the last. Service was great, and the food was wonderful. From the apptizers to the desert all was over the top. Lovely setting. It is a great place for a specail occasion. We will go back soon.

2  Thank offwego20014
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We had dinner at La Gare and enjoyed it. It may be old and seem worn out but there is something comfortasble about it. The food was very good, my salmon was delicious and my wife's steak was prepared as ordered, very rare. We enjoyed our dinners and will return.

1  Thank Sanford58
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Take a trip to Europe without leaving Sonoma County! Enjoy a great meal in a traditional European decor with pictures of the Swiss alps adorning the walls. La Gare boasts excellent swiss/french food in old town Santa Rosa. Their signature french onion soup is rich in flavor, but not overpowering. As other reviewers have said, dinner comes with soup and salad; a rarity in most restaurants and the wait staff are extremely friendly and accommodating. They make their own house salad dressing which is available for purchase and is very tasty. Also on the menu is a salad for two prepared at table side.They have an abundant menu ranging from some of the best beef dishes to frog legs, duck, veal, chicken and more. The veal cordon bleu is one of my favorites as well as their signature dessert; cherry's jubilee prepared at table side. For excellent Swiss/French food at a good price, La Gare is the place to go.You won't be disappointed.

1  Thank redevvl