“Great Place to Stay”
Review of Hotel La Rose

Hotel La Rose
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Reviewed 31 October 2012

My husband and I drove into Santa Rosa with no hotel reservations and found Hotel La Rose on the web. It was late at night (we were 12 hours on the road) and the desk clerk stayed on the phone so we would not get lost. We had a suite and it was just that -- sweet. We took advantage of the historic location and walked all over downtown. It was the perfect place from which to launch day trips as well. We took advantage of the hotel restaurant, really good food, reasonably priced, and attentive wait staff. We will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: There is a main hotel building and an annex either are great. Location, location, location.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dade V, General Manager at Hotel La Rose, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2013

Be it a last minute reservation or a year out reservation we strive to make your stay at Hotel La Rose as wonderful as possible. From the time you call and walk in the door we want each guest to feel like family (the Hotel La Rose & Bistro 1907 family) from that day on. Thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 24 October 2012

Staying in a Historic hotel in quaint old town (railyard district) Santa Rosa was appealing to us. The price was reasonable, especially compared to anything in Napa. Our room was on the 4th floor, with a very low sloped ceiling that we hit our heads on several times. It felt very closed in, especially since the windows were so small and high up. The comforter and pillows smelled "old", like it needed laundering. The bathroom was marble, and quite nice. The toiletries were very nice, high end. The restaurant was very poor. It took quite a while to get a cold yogurt parfait for breakfast, and there was only one other customer who came after us...
Then, on our last night (of 2), at about 4 am, I felt something on my feet, and turned on the light. It was a mouse! It ran across the room, and hid in the corner. We shooed it out of the room, and tried to report it to the front desk, but there was no answer. We told the desk clerk the next morning, and she seemed quite surprised and alarmed. She said it was not common, and refunded one nights stay. I probably wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: don't stay on the 4th floor, as the rooms are very small to start with, and feel smaller due to...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

We thank you for your comments and for staying at Hotel La Rose. The only way that any Hotel can understand all guest needs is feedback. Please note that your experience has never happened since I have been part of the Hotel La Rose family and has not happened since. Being in the hotel business for many years we strive to make every stay perfect. Please contact me personally on your next stay at Hotel La Rose.

Reviewed 22 October 2012

Spotty at Best!! We stayed 3 days in room 59 of the carriage house. The room was large and the bed comfortable. We had to call to have the room serviced after being out ALL day, our first day. After that the room was serviced in a timely manner. The room seemd a bit worn and not nearly as nice looking as the one that our friends stayed in, in the main hotel. The night light outside our door was not working, and was not replaced even after reporting it on day one. We had breakfast once in the dining room. Service was slow and the food mediocre. Given the historic appeal of this hotel we were disappointed.

Room Tip: Rooms seem to be in better condition in the main hotel than in the carriage house.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments as that is the only way that we can improve all of our guest stay. Once again that you for your comments and stay at Hotel La Rose.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

My partner and I stayed at La Rose for 4 nights as we were attending a friend's wedding. A very pleasant stay. Our room was clean with modern amenities. On our third day we had lunch in the restaurant which was very tasty and the waiter was very attentive. The bar person poured the wrong drink for me, when I pointed this out he was very apologetic and I was given a complimentary one.
Would definetly stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a coach house room/suite
1  Thank moyra65

Thank you for choosing Hotel La Rose for your rooming needs in Santa Rosa. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 7 October 2012

My husband and I stayed here for seven of eight nights in this lovely, old, historical hotel in the heart of old Santa Rosa. We enjoyed the whole experience!! The rooms were authentically decorated with modern amenities and our second room was a Junior Suite upgrade that was spacious and well furnished in early 19th century furniture with modern conveniences in keeping with the decor!! We had a delicious extended continental breakfast every morning.

The Staff, Dade, Janet and the lovely woman at night, as well as everyone else, were friendly, helpful, accommodating, and very professional and were there to please us from the moment we arrived until we sadly, left.

I would highly recommend this Hotel!!! It was a GREAT experience!! Thank you so much, Hotel La Rose for everything!!!!

Room Tip: One of the front room Junior Suites
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Sorry for the delay in saying thank you not only for your stay with us but for your nice comments. We strive daily to make every guest stay the best possible.

Reviewed 26 September 2012

As like many other reviewers, I was excited to stay at this property due to it's historic nature and pictures. Unfortunately the pictures were very deceiving or else we received the worst room in the carriage house. We had booked on a mid week promotion and perhaps because of this they may have given us a bad room.

We opened the door and the carpets were stained, it looked like the source of the stain was from the door, which when we turned out the lights it looked like the door frame was falling apart and black due to water damage. I understood from previous reviews that this was a problem that the hotel was addressing this issue, however it seems as if this may not have been the case for this particular room.

Also there seems to be a lot of homeless people walking around.

This is unfortunate because the hotel has a lot of potential but under this management and economic conditions, it has a long way to go.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank crysania_mt
Dade V, General Manager at Hotel La Rose, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2012

I do want to start off and say that we are sorry you feel that Hotel La Rose did not meet your requirements. As stated in previous responses we are in the process of redyeing our wool carpets in the carriage house as the sun does fade them by the window and door area. The home less issue in the entire Santa Rosa area is constantly a work in progress by the SRPD and County along with all the businesses in the area. The entire staff along with all Managers at Hotel La Rose and Bistro 1907 work very hard to assure all guest the best stay possible. Thanks for staying with us and hopefully you will return again on your next visit. Please feel free to contact me concerning your report.

Reviewed 23 September 2012

I was really excited to stay here for one night for a friend's wedding. It looked adorable in pictures.

However, I had a coterie of negative experiences during my one-night stay. I am not giving a one-star review based on those things that happened, because each thing individually was not a huge imposition (only minor ones!). This one-star review is based on the front desk clerk's and manager's defensive, annoyed, unhelpful reactions when I unflinchingly listed my complaints at check-out.

I could list the original negative interactions, but their causes boil down to: misinformation, a "sorry, not my problem" attitude, and thus the staff's unwillingness to proactively solve simple problems or at least provide some empathy to guests having negative experiences.

Three things that were good:
1) I left my jacket in the lobby bathroom, and when I called from the wedding, they picked it up and put it my room
2) I needed an extra blanket at night, and the porter brought one promptly
3) The bed was cozy and comfortable

Note for wedding planners and brides: Stay on top of the staff like white on rice! Do not depend on them to be responsible and responsive partners as vendors, because they seem terrible at problem solving and empathy (and there are always little things that will go wrong).

I don't believe that customer is always right, but I do believe there are easy and obvious techniques for pacifying irate guests or clients. In a perfect service world, they would have assuaged me without being defensive, and said, yeah, this is not the level of service we want to provide, we're sorry you had this experience, and thank you for your feedback, because it helps us to make sure this won't happen again. Instead, I got arguing, rationalizations, a begrudging 10% off my room rate (I was negotiating for 30%) and farewell of "you can leave now, GOODBYE!"

Room Tip: Rooms across the way at the carriage house are so comfy, but in the morning light as I packed up and...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Dade V, General Manager at Hotel La Rose, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

Want to start off by saying that the entire staff tries to make sure every guest stay is the best possible. We all work very hard to accomplish this goal. As stated by the front desk at the time of making your reservation check in time is 3:00 pm as check out time is noon. Hotel La Rose set these hours to give our housekeepers time to clean each and every room before another guest is allowed to check in. Yes you did request 30% off your stay at check out as you were not allowed to check in before 3:00 pm the previous day but I did give you a 10% discount. We are sorry about this but your room was not available for an early check in as there was another guest in the room.