“Expected better”

Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Roseville, CA\
“Expected better”
Reviewed 9 June 2007

I had never been to the area, and found La Rose as the most popular, according to this site. I showed up only to find no valet or bellman, a young, college aged reception person who seemed to have rather been anywhere else in the world but helping me. The rooms need updating, and there is quite a bit of traffic noise, as the hotel sits next to a busy street. I saw quite a few bums standing outside of the hotel in my 2 day stay, a few times bumming (no pun intended) a smoke from the hotel staff.

Overall, the service was the worst, followed by the road noise, then the quality of the room/cleanliness, and the akward location. A local I ran into told me that just a block west is the worst area in Santa Rosa.

I will not stay again.

• Liked — Close to the Sonoma County Court
  • Disliked — front desk
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank Drnkr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Nacogdoches, Texas
Reviewed 3 June 2007

This is a really neat old hotel. The rooms are nice and the staff was great. It is located right in the heart of an old district with several resturants and bar within walking distance.

• Stayed June 2007
1 Thank preslb
RandBS
Reviewed 14 May 2007

I travel a lot for business and pleasure. It's been a long time since I've been so impressed by a property. We were greated with a glass of wine and freshly baked cookies upon checking in. The staff was tremendously personable. They recommended a great place for dinner. Parking is complimentary. My husband and I stayed in one room and my mom stayed in another. When my mom needed ice in the room, they brought it to her with two complimentary bottles of wine. The best part was breakfast - no other hotel had a European breakfast like this - the typical lunch meat which I don't care for but the fresh fruit, smoked salmon, bagels, toast, cereal, and the best homemade scones I ever had were all incredible. Upon checking out, they gave us water and extra scones fo the road! The best place to stay for the value. On a Thursday night, I had a AAA rate of $99 plus tax - no where else can you get that rate with such tremendous amenities!!!

• Liked — All the extras, location, price
  • Disliked — I can't say one bad thing about this hotel except that I should have stayed longer.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank RandBS
FLORIDA
Reviewed 23 March 2007

A really nice place to stay while visiting this area. The Welcome Center is just across the street for good info on places to visit. In the hotel at the front desk, Janet and Jonathon are more than gracious and helpful too. Super restaurants are attached or just around the corner for evening dining. Lots of wineries are within close driving range. Don’t miss the State Reserve Redwoods on Armstrong Woods Road, the drive along the Russian River out to Route 1 and Bodega Bay for lunch, or maybe lunch another day in the town of Glen Ellen.

• Liked — Service and Location
  • Disliked — soft pillows
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Visitor37
Los Gatos, CA
Reviewed 19 March 2007

My husband, nine year old son and I stayed for two nights in a room in the Carriage House. Everyone at the front desk is very cheerful and helpful. They helped us bring a ton of lugguage to our room very quickly.
Our room was fine, but nothing special. It was dated (1980's) and It was very dark. We were on the ground floor and there was only one small window where you could open the drapes. Unfortunately, when you opened the drapes, everyone could see right in. I would ask to stay upstairs next time where there would be more privacy.
The bedding was above average with soft sheets and a down comforter with lots of pillows. We had a king and a queen bed, and there was still a lot of room.
The bathroom was pretty good size, but needed updating. The towels were above average. We had a broken toilet which eventually overflowed, but they fixed it right away.
The location is great. We could walk to dinner at Syrah or to two cute coffee houses.
For the price, the stay is pleasant and the staff very nice. With some renovation, this could be a top spot.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The dated decor
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank Sparky22
Chicago
Reviewed 16 March 2007

We stayed March 11-14th and had a nice stay. The hotel is a great value for the location and the amenities. We read the other reviews before booking and agree with most. The room was nice, but a little loud in the morning with the highway construction. We didn't interact much with the staff, but they did give us a great place to use to ship our wine. Only downside was with the restaurants in town. We ate at the Italian restaurant and Syrah and both were good, but beyond that there wasn't much available. The French restaurant was closed the 2 nights we tried and Josefs didn't seem to have much to offer.

Best place to try is Aroma Roasters across the street - great coffee, tea and snacks!

• Liked — Comfortable Room
  • Disliked — Decor
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LoopChicago
Annapolis, MD
Reviewed 10 March 2007

I booked this hotel directly with the hotel because of their "$100/night" special. I asked for a quiet room on a high floor away from the street, and that is what they provided. Our room, which was very quiet (I don't think I ever heard an outside sound when I was in it, even though there were plenty of people staying while we were there) was on the fourth floor of the main building and had a little patio. Even though there is night road work going on Rte. 101, it was quiet in our room and we slept well. The king bed was extremely comfortable, the staff extremely helpful with suggestions for wine tours (including very helpful and detailed maps), and the included breakfast very good and always fresh and plentiful. Shower had excellent water pressure and temperature control. As other reviewers have noted, the complimentary glass of wine at Josef's and the free parking are other nice perks with this hotel. We did not try Josef's for dinner due to other plans, but did enjoy dixieland jazz at the Last Day Saloon (down the block from the hotel) and had excellent omelettes at breakfast one day with family at the Omelette Express a block over. There are other very appealing looking restaurants in the vicinity of the hotel, and the mall, with a Macy's, Sears, etc, is a short walk or drive away. Wifi reception was not good in our room, but was excellent in the lobby of the hotel.

Stayed March 2007