“pet and kid friendly a plus”

Hilton Sonoma Wine Country
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
GreenLeadersGold level
Monterey, California
“pet and kid friendly a plus”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This hotel needs some TLC but the overall stay was good. It is pet and kid friendly, a big plus when traveling. Restaurant staff was not attentive during breakfast buffet. Front desk was very professional when presented with a problem.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

HiltonSonomaWineCtry, General Manager at Hilton Sonoma Wine Country, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
While we’re glad you found our hotel to be both kid and pet friendly, and that your overall stay was good, we’re disappointed that not every aspect was perfect. We regret that you were not impressed with our breakfast service. Your comments will be shared with our dining management so that they can review our commitment to customer service. Thank you for staying with us and for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I stay in about 30 different Hilton properties each year. This one has many positive qualities, but the negatives outweigh the positives.

As other reviewers have noted, there are issues. I have also read the recent management responses. As the management has noted, they could have addressed many comments if they had known about them while the reviewer was still in the hotel. Unfortunately, in my case, there wasn't much they could have done about the issues.

First, the positives. The place is well-run and managed. All of my interactions with the staff were nothing but positive. Very well run hotel. The pool area is outstanding. Nicely landscaped and maintained. Spending some some time in the afternoon at the pool is a must. If there was one thing they could do better here is put a portable mini-bar and bartender there for a few hours in the afternoon. It's one of the bright spots of this hotel, I'd focus on it more.

The location is superb. If you want to explore Sonoma County wineries, you're in the right spot. Super easy access to many, many superb wineries.

The negatives are next. When we walked into the room, it smelled wet and musty. I could have went back and asked for another room, true. However, I thought the room must have been not used for a while and just needed some A/C. Wrong move. The A/C is anemic, at best. Part of the issue is undoubtedly the cool, wet climate outside. Most of the days we were there, the temp was in the 60's and the humidity for our stay was above 70%. Very tough environment to keep dry. However, if I'm staying at a Hilton, I expect them to have figured this out a long time ago. The other reviews that mention mold and musty conditions are seeing the same issue. When the A/C did kick on, the air coming out of the vent didn't seem to be very dry and not very cold. Seems like the HVAC just isn't doing it's job. We spent two days trying to dry the room out by running the A/C set at 64. It got better after a couple of days, but my wife froze. I really don't know what the problem is, but saw the same thing at a Doubletree in Costa Rica, where they didn't run the HVAC in a room if a guest wasn't in there. My wife and I had a running bet on whether the room would smell musty when we came back in the afternoon. I thought I could fix it, and was wrong.

The hotel is a little old and the floors are creaky. We were there while the hockey teams were there and you could hear everyone walking in the room above us. Everyone was very well behaved, it's just you hear everything if you're not on the top floor.

Tough review for a Hilton. There's not much they're going to do without an expensive remodeling project. Great service just isn't going to address the basic issues. Don't get me wrong, this is NOT a Motel 6. It just that you expect more when you see the Hilton sign.

Room Tip: Trust me, top floor
2 Thank rzrnaz
HiltonSonomaWineCtry, General Manager at Hilton Sonoma Wine Country, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
We truly appreciate your comprehensive review of Hilton Sonoma Wine Country. We’re glad you enjoyed so many aspects of our hotel, including our pool, our central location and our helpful staff. Please accept our sincere apologies regarding your air conditioning unit. Our management staff will review your comments for future consideration and planning. We hope to welcome you and your wife back again soon.

Travellers are raving about these Santa Rosa hotels

Danville, California
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We really enjoyed a long weekend here over Fourth of July. The property is centrally located north of downtown Santa Rosa. It was an easy drive to lots of activities. The room was clean and reasonably cared for. The property in general needs care. The hallway carpet was quite dirty, exterior missing trim, shows lots of use. Restaurant was good food and convenient and room service was efficient, but we often had to call because they forgot something. Do not recommend the Breakfast burrito, it was lots of tasteless egg with a small slice of avocado. The lanai room was pleasant with a table and chairs to enjoy. You share these with all the neighbors. They allow dogs so we heard a lot of barking. Recommend as long as you know what to expect.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
It was a real pleasure to welcome you over the Fourth of July weekend, and we’re delighted you enjoyed your time at Hilton Sonoma Wine Country. Sounds like your clean guestroom and our hotel’s central wine country location was especially nice for you. Thank you for bringing our attention to the issues in the hallway, and please know our maintenance associates will attend to them immediately. We hope to welcome you back for another nice stay soon.
St. Martinville, la
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The only redeeming quality at this hotel was the comfy cloud like bed and the free coffee in the lobby.
My husband and I stayed here for a sports tournament. This was supposed to be the host hotel for all 40 teams. The bathroom was white trim, white tile and white toilet and sink basin. The black mold was very easy to spot....even without my glasses! When I asked them to clean it, the maid service came in and only performed their regular walk through. They wiped the fixtures from water spots, made the bed and replaced the towels. The black mold was still there! Even I could easily wipe some of it away with some tissues. Then next day I called again about another problem, the toilet Handle not flushing at all, plus I added that the mold was not cleaned. The maintenance came to fix the toilet handle, and now it flushed, but also the toilet constantly ran and swirled. I called a third time, not to complain, but to check out. Obviously this hotel big enough to care about the business of 40 teams coming into town, but selfish enough not to care about the little things that go on in each room.
Btw, I asked my team mates about their rooms and they also had called about their own issues, ac, room service and unattended carpet vacuuming.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a lanai, with tables and chairs, near the pool.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
While we’re glad you appreciated a number of features of our hotel, we deeply regret the details you share here. Please accept our heartfelt apologies for the issues you encountered in your guest room. Your experience was not reflective of the customer service to which we are dedicated, and we will share your comments with everyone here and especially our associates in housekeeping. Thank you for taking the time to write your review, and we hope you may return so that we can give you the service and attention you deserve in the future.
River Vale, NJ
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed at the Hilton Sonoma while attending a hockey tournament recently. The hotel is pretty overall, but building interiors show wear and tear. The service in the restaurant was friendly and my husband and I had some appetizers which were good. The cleaning staff fell short for me. Room was not cleaned until late in day -- after 3 PM. One day they left all the dirty towels in the room and did not replenish the coffee. However when we brought the situation to the front desk they did their best to correct it. The pool area was lovely, but I would warn you to bring your own towels if possible as they run out of pool towels constantly. It's also a ride on the 101 for everything, there is nothing you can walk to.

Room Tip: Junior suites on top floor are spacious and comfortable, but if you want a deck you need to request.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
While we’re glad you enjoyed so many aspects of your visit with us, including dining at Nectar restaurant, our pool and décor, we’re truly disappointed your stay wasn’t completely satisfying to you. Please accept our apologies for the housekeeping issues you shared. Your comments will be shared with our management team, to review our commitment to exceptional customer service in every area of the hotel. Thank you for your review.
Oxnard, United States
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Not happy with the service, some thing where broken on the room and the water battles were open sooooo nasty....... some items from the prior guest were left at the room, bathroom was not clean.. i was sent to the wrong building and all they said was uppss i send you to the wrong building

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

We deeply regret that your stay was not a positive experience for you. Our staff is committed to providing exceptional guest service but it appears this was not your encounter. Please accept our apologies for the housekeeping issues you shared. We hope you will consider a future visit so that we may give you the stay you deserve.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My husband’s itch to play the slots at Graton Casino brought us to this property and it was a happy find. The location was just about 10 minutes north of Rohnert Park but truly felt far removed from the smoke and non-stop ka-ching ka-ching hum of the Casino. In a nut shell, the location is great (also close to Healdsburg) and felt very peaceful despite the fact that it was quite busy. Interesting mix of guests, both Bay Area locals escaping the summer doldrums as well as tourists from other US and international destinations. There was a large wedding party that was also make the hotel its base camp for attendees. Hotel also welcomes pets and even saw one guest walking his cat on leash.

The hotel rooms and corridors truly need refreshing (this property has the bones to be a knockout) but the room was immaculate and comfortable. Shower curtain - while updated with a rounded shower rod - was coming apart on the back side of the curtain. Great Peter Roth amenities though. The mattress was just fair - a little too soft for my taste and my body.

We decided we’d rather use the ventilation of an open window than the AC but could not get the window open. A quick call to the front desk and they had an engineer there in no time. Starbucks Coffee in the lobby every morning and wine tasting with cheese and crackers in the afternoon were a nice unexpected touch. No minibar or fridge in the room (the latter would have been welcome). We had the breakfast buffet at the hotel’s Nectar Restaurant one morning and found the quality of everything to be quite high – exceeded our expectations and the price was fair compared to many hotel breakfasts - $18 for the buffet. Very nice pool and Jacuzzi both well-adjusted temperature-wise made for some much needed R&R. The best surprise was the quality of the poolside massage. Miguel the proprietor of Samagse Massage who serves all the Hiltons in the area was an amazing find. Both my husband and I have had serious body work done over the years and we know when we find a talented practitioner and he is at the top of my list. I have been having extreme difficulty with my feet and they have been much better since my session with him.

We will definitely return here when we need another break and have more exploring to do in the Wine Country.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your detailed review of your stay at Hilton Sonoma Wine Country. Your comments and recommendations are sure to be a great help to readers. We’re truly elated you had such a memorable experience with us, including your comfortable accommodations, delicious breakfast, and your wonderful poolside massage. We’re grateful to be included in your wine country sojourn, and will look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Rosa
Best Western Plus Garden Inn
Best Western Plus Garden Inn
#7 of 25 in Santa Rosa
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sonoma Wine Country

Been to Hilton Sonoma Wine Country? Share your experiences!