“Timing”
Review of Fountaingrove Inn

Fountaingrove Inn
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My wife and I arrived on a Thursday with our rental car ready for some Sonoma county wine barrel tasting after flying into Oakland International. We were greeted at the front desk by 2 very helpful and courteous employees who quickly checked us into our Jr suite then provided us with wine country pamphlets and a map for our exploring. As we prepared to leave the lobby one of the employees informed us that the hotel restaurant was closed due to remodeling, I thought that was a little funny considering their website never mentioned the closure.

Anyway we returned to our rental car and drove to the North building where our room was to drop off our luggage and get settled in. The distance from the lobby to the North building is 100+ yards so I would suggest to anyone who has a car and is staying in that building to drive over for convenience and ease. First thing I noticed when I entered the building was the worn and dated carpet, then into our room I found the same dated furnishings including a 15 yrs old tube television in the sitting room with the other old furniture. The room smelled a little musty and stuffy so I opened our hotel window for some fresh air and Hwy 101 traffic noise. The hotel is conveniently located right off of Hwy 101, what we didn't realize was the traffic noise on a Thursday night at 10pm was not much different than the traffic noise at 5pm. Not the hotel's problem, however the old hotel windows do not suppress exterior noise all that well, I'll explain in more detail.

Sometime around 9pm Thursday night we returned to our hotel room after exploring downtown Santa Rosa and realized the traffic noise from Hwy 101 was coming through with the window closed, not very happy at this point but too tired to make an issue of it. Shortly after climbing into bed, somebody working on the restaurant remodel or in the bar decided it was time to start up a gas powered pressure washing to do some cleaning. It was now 10pm and the pressure washing continued for 40 more minutes, I finally fell asleep until the 10:55pm phone call to our room when I woke to answer the phone it stopped ringing, so back to sleep I went until 11:09pm when the pressure washer started up again. Now that I was wide awake, I decided it was time to let the front desk know that running the pressure washer after 11pm wasn't acceptable, the young man who answered immediately apologized to me and said they were supposed to stop at 11pm, soon after the pressure washer finally stopped.

Needless to say our 4 night stay at the Fountaingrove Inn turned into an early morning checkout after a 1 night stay and on to a much better albeit franchise upper end hotel in downtown Santa Rosa.

I wouldn't stay at this hotel until they make some significant changes along with updating the furnishings and or lowering the nightly room rates...

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 March 2014

We love this place. It's conveniently located to the wineries, it's clean, it's comfortable, quiet and they allow you to bring your dog for only $25 a night! Whenever I find a deal such as on Travelzoo I snap it up! Our room this time needed to replace some lampshades and such as they were getting a bit ratty but I'm most interested in a clean and quiet room and that's what you get.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We had the opportunity to stay at this hotel for one night through a Travelzoo offer. The reception area is quite nice but not particularly welcoming, however it has a nice waterfall wall which is interesting and sounds pleasant. The reception desk personnel are extremely nice and helpful, the hotelʻs best asset. The room was spacious, clean, and pleasantly decorated in warm colors, yellows and oranges mostly, not my favorite choice for restful surroundings. The beds were quite nice with very soft sheets and down comforter. It was very quiet, except for the usual mid- to late-night thoughtless people talking loudly in the corridor and slamming doors (we tried to go to sleep about 10:00 p.m.). The first thing my husband did was check the television, which had a picture but not a clear one. It looked like it was snowing on every channel and unwatchable. On the way out to dinner we informed the front desk about the TV, returned and had to change rooms because of the problem which was not fixable. Next room TV also had a major problem but was watchable. We didnʻt feel like moving again so we put up with it. The bathroom lighting is extremely poor. The lighting is not bad enough that I could ignore the layer of dust on the frame of the wall mirror, however. No soap dish in the shower, unfortunately, so everything has to go in a corner of the tub. Could be outstanding if they put a little money and effort into it. This is not a monster large hotel. Breakfast vouchers were available at the restaurant, Equus, on the property. The buffet breakfast was okay, but there was no dedicated hostess and the staff seemed rather put-upon to seat us. Not a good atmosphere, but I heard one of the staff say that the restaurant was closing, like the next day, for construction work.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 24karat
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Happened to be at Kaiser Permanente and needed overnight accommodations. This is a pretty 2-story modern structure into the hillside, with nice 'junior' suite accommodations [fridge; 2-tv's, couch cove, and very comfortable bedding, the kind you can snuggle into...nice bath and good lighting; and the windows open for fresh air. Location is nothing super except access to hospital & HWY 101, but no views [well there are no views in Santa Rosa anyway]. Very courteous staff, nice lobby --- and it is attached to a fantastic restaurant named Equus! Go there, enjoyable visit --- since re-booked for 2 & 4 nights.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 January 2014

My wife and I are fortunate to have discovered the Fountaingrove Inn, and we will return! Our room was comfortable, and the food at Equus Restaurant (three meals) was excellent. The concierge, Chris Morano, was about the best we've experienced! He directed us to wineries and gave us tasting passes -- and he called ahead to each of them to be sure we got great service. He was right about everything he said, and we look forward to learning more from him, in future visits, about Sonoma County vineyards and restaurants. We highly recommend this hotel and its fine staff!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Thomas N
Reviewed 27 January 2014

My wife and I were able to change our plans to include this nice hotel in our crazy 5 hotels in 6 nights itinerary last week. They offered a great "Travelzoo" deal including buffet breakfast and some wine tasting coupons to local wineries. We arrived on a Thursday afternoon and our king room was ready, it was nicely appointed with good linens and a small refridgerator and a Kurig coffee machine. The pool area is nice with great sun exposure so we got our "sun on" for a while sipping some pinot grigio. They only need to add some cusions to their loungers as the wooden slats are not comfortable to lie on. While the pool deck and surfaces need some repairs, the water was nicely heated in both the pool and spa....we enjoyed our time there. Happy Hour is quite nice across at the restaurant/bar and we enjoyed some appetizers and beer that evening. In the morning the breakfast surpised me in it's quality. The bacon and sausage is top notch....eggs were home cooked with cheese on top offered with salsa. Fresh fruit was fresh cut and delicious. The service was fantastic and we really enjoyed our quiet, leisure breakfast here to begin our day. If you're in the area don't hesitate to include this hotel in your travel plans.....great job.....and Christopher at the front desk is friendly and very helpfull as was all the staff.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

This was a anniversary getaway. My wife of ten years and I are from Santa Rosa and returned to reminisce. This classical hotel fit the bill quite nicely. The parking/street position was a bit troublesome, but typical for Santa Rosa. It is located conveniently on 101, ready access to points north and south. Fairly close to 12 for points east and west. The room was fair a bit worn and dated not exceptionally so but still the finish quality on what appears to be a recent update was poor. Occasional paint overlap, some torn carpet edges, the like. The room wasn't offered with a view and had none, The odd choice to have a window facing a wall that existed solely to block headlights from parking was puzzling, perhaps some more landscaping in this area? Or a water feature? Desk was prompt, friendly, and amusing. First night was quiet and peaceful, second night not so much. Otherwise entirely pleasant and expected.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Vintners Inn
#2 of 24 in Santa Rosa
Hilton Garden Inn Sonoma County Airport
Best Western Dry Creek Inn

Been to Fountaingrove Inn? Share your experiences!