“Not inspired, but very good” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fountaingrove Inn

Fountaingrove Inn
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
VT
“Not inspired, but very good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Location is easy to find and get to center of city from. Property access is a little convoluted because of its location. The staff was very helpful - when room wasn't available when we arrived, they agreed to call when it was, and they did. All the staff very nice. Chris was especially helpful in getting me a discount at their spa partner. The room was large, and just different enough from most of the chains to be a welcome change. Very clean, very nice housekeeping staff. Nice big TV for March Madness. Refrigerator and Keurig. Comfy bed and linens. Only quibbles - a bit of noise from the hallway and window doesn't open very wide. The "brick wall view that's been complained about is such a vast improvement over looking at a parking lot that I'll take it any day. Was going to rate it a 4, but there's so much on the positive side, so little on the negative, I'll give it a 5. Value pretty good.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank VTLongTimeTraveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

I reservation the hotel couple of days ago. I requested a two double beds room. They said ok. "We will request the room for you." We came to the hotel today. They said sold out the room.
They took us one king bad room they give us roll away bed. We thought they make the bed, but they didn't make the bed. They give us sheets, blankets and pillows. We made the bed ourselves. We never had a experienced make a bed staying a hotel. I stayed the Fountain Grove Inn hotel many times in the past. We are very disappointed the hotel today. The lobby the hotel staff wasn't friendly and not helpful at all!! Also I went to the hotel fitness center at 10:25pm. It was closed at10pm. What a disappointment! I don't want use the hotel anymore! If you want to reservation the hotel go a head. I don't think worth it the hotel. I want to go up the hill Hilton is much worth it! Fountain Grove Inn hotel is sucks!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sakukawaii
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

The lobby is stunning with it's water feature and the staff is charming and helpful. Our room was large and very comfortable. The central location was a great starting place for our hikes and excursions. I have nothing negative to say and would stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mimi R
Hockessin, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

Large spacious rooms, comfortable beds, excellent breakfast brunch, conveniently located. This is not part of a large chain of hotels. The decor and architecture has a modern western theme and is unique. I will stay here again when I am in Santa Rosa.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor, it is quieter.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Lake Stevens
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

Rooms are a little dark but quite comfortable and well appointed. Very poor waster pressure in shower, but the beds are wonderful. Great location whether you have a vehicle or are using the bus system- it's right on a convenient bus line.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank wrzsjz
Eureka, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

Clean, comfortable room. Excellent breakfast buffet in the Equus Restaurant.
Helpful staff and lots of conveniently located exercise equipment.
Close in free parking for both levels of the hotel is available.
It also has a large ballroom facility.
A wonderful stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Floyd B
Lake Oswego, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

My wife and I arrived on a Thursday with our rental car ready for some Sonoma county wine barrel tasting after flying into Oakland International. We were greeted at the front desk by 2 very helpful and courteous employees who quickly checked us into our Jr suite then provided us with wine country pamphlets and a map for our exploring. As we prepared to leave the lobby one of the employees informed us that the hotel restaurant was closed due to remodeling, I thought that was a little funny considering their website never mentioned the closure.

Anyway we returned to our rental car and drove to the North building where our room was to drop off our luggage and get settled in. The distance from the lobby to the North building is 100+ yards so I would suggest to anyone who has a car and is staying in that building to drive over for convenience and ease. First thing I noticed when I entered the building was the worn and dated carpet, then into our room I found the same dated furnishings including a 15 yrs old tube television in the sitting room with the other old furniture. The room smelled a little musty and stuffy so I opened our hotel window for some fresh air and Hwy 101 traffic noise. The hotel is conveniently located right off of Hwy 101, what we didn't realize was the traffic noise on a Thursday night at 10pm was not much different than the traffic noise at 5pm. Not the hotel's problem, however the old hotel windows do not suppress exterior noise all that well, I'll explain in more detail.

Sometime around 9pm Thursday night we returned to our hotel room after exploring downtown Santa Rosa and realized the traffic noise from Hwy 101 was coming through with the window closed, not very happy at this point but too tired to make an issue of it. Shortly after climbing into bed, somebody working on the restaurant remodel or in the bar decided it was time to start up a gas powered pressure washing to do some cleaning. It was now 10pm and the pressure washing continued for 40 more minutes, I finally fell asleep until the 10:55pm phone call to our room when I woke to answer the phone it stopped ringing, so back to sleep I went until 11:09pm when the pressure washer started up again. Now that I was wide awake, I decided it was time to let the front desk know that running the pressure washer after 11pm wasn't acceptable, the young man who answered immediately apologized to me and said they were supposed to stop at 11pm, soon after the pressure washer finally stopped.

Needless to say our 4 night stay at the Fountaingrove Inn turned into an early morning checkout after a 1 night stay and on to a much better albeit franchise upper end hotel in downtown Santa Rosa.

I wouldn't stay at this hotel until they make some significant changes along with updating the furnishings and or lowering the nightly room rates...

Room Tip: Get a room that faces away from the driveways and roadways.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple