“great stay...pet and human friendly!”
Review of Fountaingrove Inn

Fountaingrove Inn
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This is the second time we've stayed at the Fountaingrove; the first with our pooch. The place is conveniently located (close enough to Peet's coffee, and very close to WIlli's WIne Bar!) and near the freeway, but still a quality property. The rooms are nicely appointed and roomy enough, always been very clean and the staff is always low-key, very genuine and helpful. Nice walking trail up the hill for morning dog walks, very pet friendly place, and although we haven't tried out the Equis restaurant there on site for dinner (with Willi's so close, it's hard to pass it up...and if you don't know about it and you love food and wine, get yourself to Willi's!) but had a couple nice drinks at happy hour with very friendly bar and wait staff (although their by the glass list could use some upgrading...just sayin'). Quiet even tho close to 101, in-room fridges, Comfy beds, Kuerig coffee makers...no complaints! A pretty property for such a convenient location.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
jhayman79, General Manager at Fountaingrove Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear KimWG,

Thank you for sharing this great feedback with the Trip Advisor crowd!

It's great reading that you (and your pooch) enjoyed your time here at Fountaingrove Inn. A suggestion for your next trip - take advantage of the many pet-friendly wineries. We have a robust listing of them and everything dog related available at the Front Desk.

We'd also love to have you in Equus - I think you'll be pleased.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Before reviewing this hotel I ought warn travelers to be beware the booking process employed by this hotel. Before booking this hotel a couple of months ago I went to Tripadvisor to find a hotel in California wine country. After deciding on this hotel, I got the prices from TripAdvisor. I then attempted to phone the Fountaingrove front desk to see if there were any specials. Instead of the front desk I got some sort of agency on the phone who quoted me a price $80 higher than the one on TripAdvisor. After protesting the person asked if I was a member of AARP orAAA when I said yes they offered a price $80 cheaper. I advise readers to be careful of this ploy.
Now the hotel. I arrived during a wine tasting which seemed like a great idea to have in the lobby. I was checked at the reception desk by Jennifer who was very efficient & competent. However, the other receptionist was discussing a wine she was drinking with another lady in such a loud voice that I had trouble checking in.
The rooms are adequate for a motel. The bed is very comfortable but other parts of the room showed their age. There were chips out of the the furniture and the skid bars in the bath tub were loose, that being said the space was clean & neat. The place definitely needs to be upgraded & renovated.
Staff is generally competent & helpful with a couple of exceptions. Food is good but overpriced.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank magpie172
jhayman79, General Manager at Fountaingrove Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Magpie172,

Thank you for providing this valuable feedback about your recent stay at Fountaingrove Inn. I am disappointed we didn't meet your expectations, and plan to use your comments as a guide toward improving.

I would be grateful if you would take a brief moment to send me a private message or phone me at 707-566-3175 to discuss your experience in reserving your room. I would need some information prior to investigating/taking corrective action.

Again, thank you for staying with us - I do hope you'll return in the future.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The front desk was very helpful and friendly. They went out of thete way to give me directions to an appointment. the bed was comfortable. Downstairs room had a window that opens. Could here upstairs shower and footprints.Pool was warm and clean.the restaurant has good northern California specialties. Close to highway, on the north end of santa rosa.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Marissadelmar,

Thank you for taking the time to share this great feedback with the Trip Advisor audience! It's nice hearing you enjoyed your experience here at Fountaingrove Inn. I'll certainly share your praise with our front desk staff - it's sure to uplift their spirits.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

My daughter bought me a trip to Sonoma wine country as a gift. She made reservations for us at this hotel and we were more than pleased. The place has a real zen feel to it and the staff could not be friendlier. The restaurant for breakfast was peaceful and satisflying. While I am sure this was a rehabbed Holiday Inn from days before, it is comforable and suited our needs.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Pamela P
jhayman79, General Manager at Fountaingrove Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Pamela P,

Thank you for taking the time to write this great 5 star review!

We certainly appreciate your feedback of both the hotel and restaurant, and look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

This was our 3rd hotel in the past 6 months. And by far the nicest and cleanest one out of the 3. I really try to pick hotels based on rating and reviews. Upon arriving I was greeted by a very helpful and friendly woman, who had me checked in and off to our room in no time. The room was clean, and up to date. The bathroom, which has been a big downer in the last two hotels, was VERY clean and nice. The hotel itself was located within easy reach of shopping and dining. I will agree with another reviewer that there tended to be a lot of "banging" on occasion, from what I assume to be the doors too. And where our room was located, I could hear the bass (somewhat low, but still noticeable) of music they played in the lobby below us when I would lay my head down. Thankfully it stopped by 10pm. But if you are hoping to get some shut eye before that, it could distract.
The pool was nice. Not great, but a nice feature. They may want to think about hanging some wasp traps a bit out from the pool. Many complaints from my son about the wasps flying around him or dead in the pool. Not fun.
The next morning we ordered room service for breakfast. It was very good. Pricey....but good.

Overall I was really happy with our stay there. And the staff were helpful and polite. I'll add this P.S. just in case Fountaingrove Inn actually reads these reviews on Tripadvisor. They may want to inform their staff where to have a smoke break. As my family were returning from an outing, one of the staff were having a cigarette break right in front of the entrance to the guests rooms. Did not seem very professional. Nor pleasant to walk through a cloud of smoke.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Sally P,

Thank you for sharing your fantastic 5 star review with Trip Advisor!

I'm pleased you enjoyed your time here at the Fountaingrove Inn, and appreciate your feedback. I am happy to report that since your review we have addressed both the wasp and designated employee break areas.

We look forward to your next visit to Sonoma Wine Country!

Reviewed 24 May 2014

This hotel is trying to be something it is not: Sophisticated.

Dated decor (see examples), dark, dingy, and a stone's throw from highway noise. Agree with the "No bang for the buck" review. Until the property owners want to get serious about updating the decor, and overhauling the thin walls and flooring, this will remain a great Boogie Nights movie set.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank AerospaceTraveler

Dear Aerospace Traveler,

Thank you kindly for your feedback. We are disappointed the decor in our rooms didn't meet your expectations. We are committed to providing our guests a quality experience and will take your comments under consideration.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed here based on a winning bid from Priceline and ended up adding another night (3 nights total). The staff is amazing! A special appreciation for Jeff who went above and beyond several times, also would like to recognize both Andrea and Jennifer, but ALL the staff were wonderful. We had the breakfast buffet, the meats were excellent quality, I read someone else's review where they said it was "a joke." Maybe the price $15 seemed a bit high because at first look it is the usual bacon, sausage, eggs, potatoes, muffins etc..., often free at other chain hotels, however at "Equues" the difference is the quality! They served thick bacon and quality sausage, cheesy eggs (with or w/out green onions, tomatoes etc...the potatoes were only so-so to us but the muffins moist, oatmeal homemade with all the condiments, large glasses of orange juice, absolutely delicious, food is prepared there instead of instant or microwaved foods at other hotels, we left very full! In fact we had several (poolside) meals from Equues. Every meal we had was outstanding! We had the Shrimp Scampi (several times), in fact the last night they honored my request of preparing it over the pasta they use for their Shrimp Carbonara (which included huge prawns),Grilled Rack of Lamb (my husband couldn't get enough of), and the Equues Brownie Sundae WOW! Our sincere compliments to the Chef! Other than ordering a pizza from Mambos the first night, and picking up some local cheeses, fruits and bread from a nearby Flea Market, all our food was from Equues it was that good and reasonably priced for the portions and quality (rare for us). The pool and hot tub is a little on the small side, but it met our needs just fine. The hotel is a touch on the older side, and our first King room was quitter and had a pleasant view of a wall of Ivy. We were "upgraded" to a Jr. Suite (by the way, at this hotel a room upgrade when not comp is only $20, way more bang for the buck having a sitting area, 2 TV's, more space, however, our view now was of the parking lot and we could hear the freeway. Our King room was Rm 154, our Jr Suite 257, I would prefer the building in the future closer to the pool (which we could have had) but we chose what was available at the friendly early check-in. The rooms have a fridge but no microwave (I always prefer a microwave for leftovers). They have Kuurig Coffee machines (nice touch) and Coffeemate cream in the fridge. The shampoos/toiletries are spa quality. Easy Hwy 101 on/off access, close to stores, malls, and Wells Fargo Center of the Arts etc..Our room was just a touch worn, but clean and bed and pillows were very comfortable. We loved our stay here and we will be back!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
jhayman79, General Manager at Fountaingrove Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear One Travelingon,

Thank you kindly for sharing your positive feedback with the Trip Advisor audience! I will certainly let Jeff, Andrea, Jennifer, and the rest of the staff know they left a good impression!

We look forward to your next visit to Sonoma Wine Country, and the Fountaingrove Inn!