“Friendly and good value”

Flamingo Conference Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I chose this hotel because of its proximity to the Sonoma Fairgrounds during the Heirloom Expo and was not disappointed. The hotel is also close to many wineries, Jack London's Beauty Ranch and Bodega Bay. Lots to see in the area!
The room was comfortable and the staff very accommodating.
The dinner entrees in the restaurant were delicious and the wait staff attentive. Unfortunately, that was not the case for breakfast. Random food was brought to my table and the wait staff pretty much forgot me. After this occurred twice during my stay I ate breakfast out.
Even with the disappointing breakfasts, the rest of the stay made up for it. I would definitely return.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Naturespeak
Don H, Front Office Manager at Flamingo Conference Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2016

We're happy to be your base when you're visiting the Sonoma County Fairgrounds. We're the premier place to stay when visiting The Harvest Festival, Toy-Con, The Emerald Cup, and don't forget the Sonoma County Fair!

There are newer reviews for Flamingo Conference Resort & Spa

Reviewed 31 January 2014

the flamingo was a great bid in priceline and i'm glad we got it for a good price. our room was specious, the bed comfortable and the shower huge. visited the hot tub early in the morning when it's still cold outside and then the pool- what a fun! we didn't try the hotel's restaurant because napa has so much more to offer, but a lot of people were sitting there and looked happy. make sure to go through the lobby but don't take all your belongings with you because you might get a room at the far end that requires a drive around (the resort is a circle shape centered). we had a great time, and I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the 400's building. close to the pool and spa but not right over them.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank amiroi

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. We are door to door about twenty minutes to Calistoga (Napa Valley). St. Helena and beyond are not much farther. There is some hilly driving in between, but it's also some of the most scenic and beautiful driving to do in the entire state. Rivaling Route 1 even. We're happy you stayed with us and found our location so convenient. We're also minutes away from the Sonoma County Wineries too!

Reviewed 26 January 2014

We checked in at this hotel for the reason it was close to Sonoma County Fairgrounds during the Heirloom Expo. It was just around 2 miles drive very convenient ! We tried checking in early, even with prior notification, but unfortunately there was nothing available. Anyways, the room is just the right size for a couple with one child. Pillows were so comfy (beast feature) as well with a nice size round table. We were looking for the fridge but to our surprise it was located inside the closet :)mmm which I think was an odd place isn't it? But still a good room fridge. Our room has an exit door to the parking lot, which I think a very good fire escape in case of emergency ( especially with a child). If you love swimming, Hotel has a good size pool were you can swim with longer distance! The only downfall was when we had our breakfast. We have a 2 year old daughter ( as kids do have their moments) would not like to wear her shoes. So when we were at the restaurant the lady who have waited for us, the manner how she handled the situation was not really nice. She just told us that we have to have our daughter wear her shoes as this restaurant has to have like a dress code. Honestly, we have been to nice places and that hotel restaurant was not really family friendly. The free breakfast was not really even a breakfast, its like having an appetizer. I hope they would improve in the hotel restaurant services in the future. Overall I think Hotel will get 3 stars for me...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank familyjls

Good morning Familyjls. Thank you for your very valuable feedback. We regret that the server did not handle the incident with the tact and understanding they should have. There have been many thousand families who stay at our hotel each year. Family reunions even. We also are the best hotel for family trips due to our Family Rooms which have in some cases 4 separate beds (at virtually the Superior Double rate). We're very sorry for the incident which occurred and want you to know if we could do it over again, we'd handle it differently. But we appreciate your review and that you found it generally very comfortable and convenient. We'd love for you to give us another chance. Thanks again for reaching out.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

From the pictures on the website it looked very nice - however I can see why they do not have any pictures of the exterior. It is a very dated or "vintage" garden style hotel. The room smelled like smoke, the carpets was very old, thin, warn and seemed dirty, my socks were gray after walking in the room without my shoes. The guests upstairs could easily be heard. The pool was not heated. The hot tub was too hot well over the 104 degrees needed and choked my lungs with chemicals. They do not mention this on their site either, regarding not having a heated pool. I had planned to lap swim. The service and wine in the restaurant was not very good either, a bit over priced, a glass of Beranger Cab was $12.00. I would not stay here again. Especially not for the price. We stayed at the Hilton the Next night and it was lovely.
The bed was very comfortable and the gentleman at the front desk was courteous and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kim_AJ_C
FlamingoManager, Front Office Manager at Flamingo Conference Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Kim_AJ-C
We were sorry to learn about your unpleasant stay with us here at the Flamingo Hotel. We are however, excited to announce that 60 of our deluxe rooms are being completely renovated with new carpet, drapes, furniture and are designed by one of the top hotel designers from San Francisco. We are disappointed that you were not guided to our Heated Lap Pool at the 8000 sq ft Montecito Heights Health Club which is a state of the are waveless lap pool and heated year round! Our signage at our family pool clearly states to use our heated lap pool due to our family pool being closed.
We do wish you give us another chance and please contact me directly to make arrangements for your next stay.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

I had organized a small group of ten people whom all stayed over night at the hotel, dined and attended the event.

Let me start off that your staff was very courteous, helpful and the rooms pleasant. Unfortunately that is not what a New Years Eve event should be limited to.

1- Our room door cards did not work and we had to ask for assistance. That wasn't bad but one of my guest had a couple walk into her room just as she was putting on her dress for dinner! It is obvious to me that the room was double booked and it could of been a very awkward moment if the couple had walked in just 10 minutes earlier.

2- Dinner was painful. It took 45 minutes for our food. The dinning hall "was not" busy for that to be an excuse. The food was okay in taste (exception dessert was horrible!) but every single one of us ate a cold $55.00 dollar meal for dinner and we were starving by the time it came so anything would of tasted good at that point! Time to pay our bill only to see that we were asked to pay taxes on a fixed gratuity that had been applied; I'm not sure that is legal but our complaint was more with the fact that we did not want to pay that rate of tip after the service being slow (very slow) and the food cold! I did speak to the dinning manager and he did allow us to leave a tip on our own.

3- Music event. I understand that they had the dance portion handled by another company regardless it was held at at the Flamingo and advertised on their web site. 7 DJ's playing music in 3 sections of the building; true. What was not true was it was ALL the same music and the DJ's just moved around playing the same music. When I had called the Flamingo prior to the event and spoke to staff memember about the event I was under the understanding that there would be a variety of music and a portion of it to be from the 70's. I was not the only person to attend that had been given the same information; there were other patrons at the event whom we were not associated with my group that had also been mislead

Overall - we were not happy. Troopers, yes but very disappointing for New Years Eve.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Katina P

Dear Katina,
We were sorry to hear about your New Year’s Eve stay here at the Flamingo Hotel. We thank you for your comments and I am aware that our General Manager has been in contact with you regarding your stay. The group that bought out the Flamingo to operate a New Year’s Eve party here has been asked to modify the type of music if they would like to return next year.
Just to clarify about taxing a service charge, state tax law requires us to tax service charges that are automatically added to a guest bill and is done so with 8 or more guests. We have had our management team involved with your comments about the service and quality of deserts offered and changes will be made to exceed your expectations next year. I was aware of the problem your friend had with her room and did happen unfortunately due to her moving rooms and a new guest being checked in at the same time. We contacted your friends immediately and adjusted their room rate considerably for the inconvenience made every amends possible. Our General Manager has offered to make arrangements for your next stay personally and we hope you return and become part of our New Year’s Eve tradition. Your comments are very important to us and very useful for improving our operation.

Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

Hotel is dated, room didn't look like the website. Room carpet was soiled, furniture looked beat up. Real small bathroom. Pool was full with kids, no room for adults. Seem like they opened the pool up for everybody in local area, parking lot was full, hard to find a spot.
A little pricey for what we got!
Sunday Brunch was good, but not a large selection, probably wouldn't recommend. We will spend our money somewhere else.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gdreams

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments and we are sorry to learn about the condition of your room upon check-in. If we would have known about some of the problems you encountered with the room while you were here, we certainly would have moved you to an upgraded room such as Superior or Executive King. We have begun a One Million Dollar renovation on our deluxe guest rooms and will be completed by April 2014. We have the largest pool in Sonoma County and we are very busy with families in the Summer season. Families come to enjoy our pool from all over the country. We hope you return and will contact me personally to make your upgraded accommodations in our new superior rooms.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

I was surprised by the size of this hotel. It was very large and spread out in a circle of sorts. My room was on the opposite side from the lobby, but it was nice and quite.

The room was large, clean and offered a refrigerator and the usual coffee set up. Besides the bed, the room had a couch and two ottomans. Plenty of room to spread out. I stayed in the 500 block by the tennis courts.

I had a late lunch in the dining room, which has a view of the large pool, but breakfast was served in the bar so they could set up for a later brunch in the dining room. I didn't enjoy eating in the bar and thought they could have offered an earlier brunch for travelers. I arrived for breakfast at 9 a.m. so it wasn't too early.

Room Tip: The 500 block in the back is quiet and peaceful.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
FlamingoManager, Front Office Manager at Flamingo Conference Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your comments and for staying here at the Flamingo Hotel and Spa. We are so glad you enjoyed your 500 Executive King Courtyard room and the new appointments in that building. We hope you return soon and again thank you so much for being here.