“5-Stars + 2-Stars Average out.... Pro's and Cons”

Flamingo Conference Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Chico, CA
“5-Stars + 2-Stars Average out.... Pro's and Cons”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is in a really good location for getting around. I spent a week there in May. I will list Pro's and Cons in list:
No elevator in most wings and the hotel was booked- I had to huff stairs with bad back.
Terrible Cellular reception all-over hotel area, had to purchase Wi-Fi for daily fee.
No hotel gym, but one next door ($60week).
Nice/clean simple rooms- friendly house keeping.
Fantastic Food very friendly waitresses.
Fun events/ dancing lessons in bar.
Poor service at bar.
Price was ok.
Pool/Spa were beautiful.

Room Tip: If you need an elevator make sure you mention that at booking. And also, rooms either have a parkin...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank hannahbannana
FlamingoManager, Front Office Manager at Flamingo Conference Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Hello hannahbannana,
Thank you for your comments and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay. We are in the process of working with A T&T on improving cell phone reception and having a booster installed. We do offer Wifi and Health Club fee, however, we do not want to add on a Resort Fee to cover these expenses and charge guests even though they may not need to use internet or have time to experience our 8000 health club facility. We look forward to your return soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Korean first
Silverado, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I and two other couples went to Sonoma county on winery business and pleasure. We stayed at the Flamingo because one of the couples had a 2 night stay that they had bought at a charity auction...One of the couples stayed in a two bedroom suite, long story short, the second bedroom barley had enough room for a double bed; you had to slide between the bed and the wall to hop in. The main bedroom was larger, however the first afternoon when my buddy took a nap, the bed collapsed....Hotel accused him of jumping on the bed....The other couple had no air conditioning the first 2 nights and we're finally moved to another room. Our room was tired and worn. The bathroom was tiny, with one sink and no room for two to get ready....We left our room at noon and put the "Service Please" sign on the door....when we returned, the room had not been cleaned...the front desk accused us of being confused and displaying the "Do Not Disturb" side of the sign by mistake.....IT SEEMS LIKE IT'S NEVER THEIR FAULT.... At check out, the broken bed room got a comp for a future visit, the no air room got one future night free and we got $40.00 off our bill....I can tell you this....freebies or not, none of us will be staying at the Flamingo again....That all said, I know the rooms are slowly being redone and the property is unique and I think is prime for some investor to come along and make it really nice....I'll be watching

Room Tip: If you must stay ask for a newly renovated room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Michael C
Don H, Front Office Manager at Flamingo Conference Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 18 December 2016
Hi Michael C. We're very sorry you found your stay to be less than expected. And we're sorry there were apparently so many glitches during your stay. I can tell you our hotel has recently undergone a number of renovations since then and with our new chef, and new staff, we feel confident in inviting you back to experience our hotel again sometime soon. Thanks again. Feedback like yours, may sting, but helps in the end.

Travellers are raving about these Santa Rosa hotels

Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My fiancee and I stayed here. We were originally quoted a rate which was higher than we had seen at other hotels nearby. When we called them back, they agreed to lower their rate in-line with the other hotels in the area. We confirmed the lower rate twice by e-mail.

After we checked out, we discovered that they charged $68 more than their confirmed rate. We've tried calling to resolve the issue, but the reservation manager just kept repeating that these sorts of mistakes happen at their hotel and they're unwilling to honor the rate they confirmed in writing.

As for the hotel itself, it is basically a motel around a pool with a CVS and IHOP next door. Not really a "resort". The room smelled musty and looked like they had done a and the parking lots had spots you couldn't park due to torn up pavement (not sure if it is normally in that condition or if there was some construction). The bar charged a cover both nights we were there, so we didn't bother going down for drinks.

The IHOP next door was great, though, so the "resort" has that going for it.

Overall, I couldn't recommend Flamingo to any traveler. If you do decide to go, check your credit card statement after you leave.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Kevin M
FlamingoManager, Front Office Manager at Flamingo Conference Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Kevin M,
We are sorry for the rate issue based on what was confirmed. Please call me directly to rectify the wrong rate charged.

Front Office Manager
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 24 May 2014

The Hotel is awesome BUT: RESERVATIONS.com has the information WAY OFF!! You cannot sit in the restaurant and see the Russian river from the hotel. Its about 15miles away. They have 1 Olympic size pool. If you want to do what they describe as a "short walk to Safari West", prepare to walk a "short" twenty miles.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mike F
FlamingoResortSpa, Director of Sales at Flamingo Conference Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for your complimentary review and have asked Reservations.com to change their web site text as we did not authorize the location descriptions of Russian River views nor Safari West is within walking distance that you described and i confirmed on their web site.
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 24 May 2014

They didn't honor the BLOCK RATE FOR WEDDING that I was promised IN WRITING (they emailed me the invoice). Let me clear: This wasn't confirmed merely over the phone. They confirmed to the penny and then EMAILED THE INVOICE TO ME. When overcharged, I called and they said <<Sorry, how unfortunate, it's what you signed for>>. Saying it's "unfortunate" doesn't fix it; giving me my money back does (just the overpaid portion).

Did I mention that they themselves emailed me the official invoice? And then ignored it?

I had called and received the confirmation 4 days before check-in for this very purpose because they have a cancellation policy that doesn't let you cancel too close to check-in. I understood that I was bound by that. So there's a limit to when I cancel for a refund but you can slap any rate you want on the check-in form and that's our new agreement? That's dishonest - plain and simple. It's called a bait and switch.

This is all very embarassing for the couple that got married and whose guests stayed here. Oh, and if you want romance in wine country, you'll be disappointed with the CVS next door and motel atmosphere you see before even going inside.

I travel and stay at hotels at least once or twice per month for business and pleasure, and this has never happened, neither domestically nor internationally, 3-star or 5-star. I created this tripadvisor account just to caution others. It's inexcusable, dishonest, and they are completely unwilling to simply refund the overpriced portion (see above re: "unfortunate").

Room Tip: Sleep in your car. Seriously, find another place. A 3-star hotel (or a good 2.5-star hotel) would be...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Regretful20
Dear Regretful20,
We are sorry for the confusion as to your room rate and just to clairfy that we do honor group rates as well as any rate contirmed. Please call me immediately to rectify the discrepancy.

Front Office Manager
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I called a couple of days before check-in to inquire about dry cleaning services. I was told that they had them and when I asked for a room with a balcony they said no problem. When I checked in Ruth told me that she was the one who had talked with me and she had but me in a very nice room. She was not kidding! I think I had the nicest room in the whole hotel! It was beautiful with a view of the pool and lush landscaping. I was a little nervous booking online but I was not disappointed. Paying for the health club next door was not an issue for me. Personally I'd rather pay for a real health club as opposed to working out in some stuffy small hotel workout room. I was in Santa Rosa for a conference and I regularly travel for work. The hotel gym at the last hotel I stayed at in Sacramento was so hot and stuffy I couldn't even work out. I actually chose this hotel due to the fact that they had a real health club next door. When I asked about it at the front desk Ruth provided me with a complimentary pass. I actually prefer to swim laps and not only does the Flamingo have a lap pool so does the health club next door. If you want to swim laps the health club next door is a better option because most people at the flamingo are leisure swimming. You could certainly swim laps there but why when there is a dedicated lap swimming pool next door. When I got to the health club with my complimentary pass I was told that you don't even need it to swim laps. The lap pool is free for hotel guests. It is one of the nicest lap pools I have ever swam at. It has saline water which is much easier on your skin than chlorine. After swimming some laps I walked back to the flamingo and enjoyed their wonderful hot tub under the gazebo. It is a built in spa with really powerful jets in a beautiful setting. Back in my room I was able to open my sliding door and window and let the breeze cool me down all night. Keep in mind that you can hear every word that people are saying in the spa because noise travels over water but it didn't bother me and the people went back to their rooms after 10 pm. The only disappointment of my stay was the dry cleaning and I don't think that this is the hotel's fault. They didn't press my silk blouse properly and it was all wrinkled when it came back and the dress I sent came back frayed at the hem. I was disappointed because I had planned to wear the silk blouse at my conference one day. But the hotel sent them back to the cleaners who fixed the dress although the blouse was still wrinkled. They didn't charge me for the dry cleaning so I think that the hotel did all it could to make the situation right. They might want to consider using a different service in the future. Overall I would highly recommend this hotel and if I am ever in Santa Rosa for business again I will most certainly choose this hotel over the rest. If you appreciate architecture, landscaping, and exercise amenities then this is the place to stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony overlooking the pool
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you very much for your review. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I had an amazing time at the Flamingo with my family last August. The resort grounds were beautiful, the food was outstanding and it was very close to all of the wineries. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone staying in the area. The tennis courts and the pool were also wonderful!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you Julia S! We're looking forward to see you back again.