“Room was in ruins, Appalling service”

Best Western Plus Garden Inn
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Reviewed 16 February 2012

This is the first bad review of a hotel I've ever written, but we had SUCH a bad experience, I am writing to warn others not to waste their time. First, this is a drive-up motel-style hotel, which isn't exactly clear from their website. When we went to check into our room, the woman at the counter was rude to the person in front of us and acted like we were a nuisance as well. I wish I could remember her name, but our trip was several months ago. As soon as we walked out of the office, I spoke to my husband and told him I wanted to find somewhere else. However, it was late in the evening, we'd been traveling all day, so we decided to check out our room instead.

In our room, one wall was a sliding glass door leading out to the pool, so if we wanted any natural light in the room, we would have no privacy (there were many people at the pool). I went to turn on the light in our room, and the shade wasn't screwed on. Plus, the lightbulb was broken. I went to use the restroom, and the toilet seat was wet. I decided to call the office about the lightbulb in our room. Here's how the conversation went.

"Front desk." (spoken very harshly, as if I was a nuisance again.)
I'm used to people answering the phone with their name, so I said, "Who am I speaking with please?"
"The front desk." (again, very rudely spoken)
"And what is your name, please?"
By the time she told me her name, I'd had enough of this horrible hotel. I politely ended the call, grabbed my bags, and told my husband we were just going to have to find somewhere else. Even though it was 7 o'clock, there was no way I was going to support this hotel in any way with my money.

When we checked out of the room, after telling her all of the problems in the room and our dissatisfaction with the service, she had the nerve to tell us we might not get our money back. I would have been all to happy to speak to her manager if they had billed us (which they did not), but what kind of person would hire someone that rude to be the representative of their hotel?

We ended up staying at the Hilton Sonoma Hotel, which was absolute heaven! Yes, it was more expensive, but after this horrible experience, we were ready to be pampered.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank melaniejade31

Reviewed 30 January 2012

Because Alaska Airlines (Horizon Air) eliminated their direct flight from LAX to Eureka, California, we’ve gone back to driving and stopping on the way north in Santa Rosa. We’ve stayed at the Best Western Garden Inn many times with wonderful service, but this time…well…it got down to 27 degrees over night in late December and there were no extra blankets in the room. When we mentioned that to the desk clerk the next morning, her response was, “Why didn’t you turn on the heat?” I really didn’t want to reply because, unlike most other motels these days, they have not installed “Smart System” controls on their HVAC systems and their antiquated wall units are just plain LOUD! I would have preferred to hear, “I’m sorry that you were incovenienced. We’ll make sure that there are extra blankets available for our guests from now on.” In addition, while in the past we were happy to have a restaurant with a full menu onsite for breakfast, their competition now offers rather nice complimentary continental breakfasts. It’s not a huge deal, but we’ll be seriously considering other lodging on our next trip north.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Contraclarinet
Reviewed 28 December 2011

12/27/11 Visit

A very good sized room, with parking right in front of our room (all other rooms have this access as well I believe). I found the blankets/bed to be quite substantial (especially compared to the motel 6 we stayed at the previous night), a nice lcd screen tv w/ HBO, and close to many restaurants and grocery stores. They accept pets at a $15 charge and gave us a pretty good sized bone :) with our "dog-friendly room." Also appreciated that the room kept the sun light out in the morning. This isn't a luxurious property by any means, but it is a safe, comfortable, and quiet place to stay while needing a place to sleep for under $100.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Stayed the last weekend in October 2011 with friends who were participating in the Healdsburg Half Marathon. Room served it's purpose, clean, comfortable and much, much cheaper than staying in Sonoma or Healdsburg.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank SharonD282
Reviewed 2 December 2011

We've stayed at this Best Western 5 times...twice over Christmas with other family members in nearby rooms. Staff members have always been helpful and courteous and our rooms large, clean, quiet and nicely appointed. Even my sister's pet friendly rooms were in good shape and fresh smelling and the pet rate was reasonable. The on-site restaurant is a plus for our family because we're all breakfast eaters. We're happy to pay a few dollars for freshly prepared sausage and eggs or a stack of hot cakes with good quality coffee and juice instead of feeling obligated to eat cold cereal and packaged pastries because they're "free." As others have noted, this is a nicely landscaped, established property that features comfort more than glitz. Compared to several other Santa Rosa properties, we think it's a find, which is why I'm on the site now to reserve for Christmas 2011.

Room Tip: We like the rooms at the back of the property because they've been quiet. Those by the pool are...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I stay at BW properties over 30 nights a year and usually chose a Plus property as they are a cut above the regular BW's. In this case I was unsure why this property deserved that designation. It was OK, but really had nothing Plus about it.
This location is more like an old motor inn, single story with a nicely landscaped central space. The rooms were clean, the WIFI worked well and the shower head was very good.
The two main issues I had were the lack of free breakfast and just plain rude service at check-in. As to the first, there is a small restaurant on the premises where you can purchase breakfast. This is the only BW I have stayed in where breakfast was not included in the price of the room. We did not eat at the on premise restaurant so I cannot comment on it.
As for the service, the women who checked me in was downright rude to the couple ahead of me and curt with me. The couple ahead of me asked about local places to eat and if she had a recommendation. She turned the receipt she had given them to the other side and said, " they are all here", that was the end of the conversation....
When I checked in I could not remember my license number which was required on the form. I said I did not know it and would go check, she said "I don't really care what it is just make something up". OK, I had to ask myself then why am I providing it in the first place?
The neighborhood it is in is mostly car dealerships and brake shops, not particularly a great place to stay. I am sure there are better places to stay in Santa Rosa with better locations and friendlier service.
Overall, I repeat my question, why would BW make this a plus property?

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 November 2011

We stayed at the Best Western for 2 nights in October 2011. We found the rooms to be large, clean and well equipped however our room could do with modernising. Also the only safe you get is in main reception which I always find to be pain. The breakfast room is functional to say the least. Once you've convinced yourself to go in you will ftheft hat the food was good quality and reasonably priced. Kids enjoyed the Micky Mouse pancakes and the staff made my kids feel very welcome.

If you want basic, clean accomodation without any frills then this is the place for you.

• Stayed: October 2011