“clean and comfortable”
Review of Hillside Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Rosa
Hillside Inn
Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Bath
“clean and comfortable”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Managers are helpful and honest. Although the website gives contact info, when I emailed, instead of an answer to my inquiry, I received an email with the hotel phone number in response. Kitchen for $4.00 a night gets you four burners, plates, pots etc., a small oven (although no pan to cook in the oven) and a good half size fridge with built in freezer. No microwave -- but I didn't really need it. On the other side of the nearby shopping center (with Safeway for groceries) is a neighborhood for jogging. Interestingly, every morning of my stay I put out the "do not disturb" sign and every evening I returned to find a sparkling clean room with fresh towels and the sign back inside my room, hmm. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Wanderer292

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
El Cerrito, California
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I like this hotel not just for usual reasons, cleanliness, etc, but a subtle retro transport to the 1960's. The pebbled deck cement of the swiming pool, starry glitter ceiling of my room, and older fixtures and architecture made me imagine the Brady Bunch may have stayed once in my room - well, maybe a little exaggeration - but the atmosphere gave me a comfy feel. I'm a nostalgic.

Though the Inn is modern with wifi (which wasn't too strong in my room) and cable TV's (not flatscreen, pfifff...) the atmosphere evokes (for me, anyway) the bygone era of Sinatra and optimistic young Californian families with Volkswagon buses. This is a plus.

I was given a room for $84 total - turned out it had two closets and a whole other bedroom with two more beds (thus the "Brady Bunch" images). Friendly enough at the desk, evening and morning.

Oh, also a popluar cafe/restaurant (crowded, at least when I was there) attached to motel, which is nice if you like to roll out of bed and have a short stack of pancakes in your pin strip PJ's and bunny slippers (if you wanted to).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We stayed at the Hillside Inn in Santa Rosa recently for vacation. We made last minute reservations here, after someone in our large group suggested we stay there. I called to reserve my room, only a few days before my arrival date. The very nice lady on the phone said, "what time will you be here?". Well, I thought I would be arriving around 3pm on my check-in day, so I told her. She said, "ok, we will hold the room for you, just call us if you're going to be late". I was a bit concerned as the only piece of information I had given her was my name and my arrival date. But, I decided to go with it and trust I would have a room once I arrived. I wasn't disappointed! The Hillside Inn looks to be an older establishment. However my room could not have been
cleaner or more spacious!
The beds were very comfortable as well. We also dined at the restaurant located on the property and it was very good. I would definitely recommend The Hillside Inn, I will be calling soon to reserve my room for next year!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank HelLester
Orangevale
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We needed a place to stay for one night and everything was booked for the marathon that weekend. This place did not take electronic reservations which had me a little nervous, but sure enough our reservation did hold (they will release it after 4pm unless you call with a credit card). It was a GREAT price for the area and had a 2-room suite for our kids where a lot of the hotels put a limit on just 2 kids. The kitchen part of the suite was locked and when I asked about it they said it was an extra charge. I went back to the website and saw where I missed that, but it was only like $4 to have access - a bit odd.

The facility is old and dated, but it functions very well. I enjoyed the pool with the kids. I'm sure the couple that runs (and probably owns) the place are very nice and sweet people inside, but they were not very warm on the outside. A smile and a "welcome" will go a long way. Maybe they've been burned by a few characters that have come in before - idk.

The bed wasn't terribly comfortable and the shower head was low, but everything was clean & peaceful. There is a nice table with chairs in the suites and two sinks even without the kitchen. They were very gracious to allow some extra time for checkout to shower after the big race. the restaurant there seemed to be a real hit with the locals and travelers. IHOP and Safeway are right across the street and you're 5 minutes from downtown.

Hope that helps!

Room Tip: The two room suite was still cheaper than everything else in town.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank HurricaneMike
Sandhurst, Berks.
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

On tour in this part of California, we had no room booked and decided to try the Hillside Inn on the basis of a guide book recommendation. We got the last room for the night (it was about 4pm on a Saturday). It was a very comfortable and large room. The decor was a bit tired but it was very good value. We would go o back if visiting the area again. Recommended.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GBR9824T
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I can see why this place has received high remarks. Yes, they are old school. What the heck is wrong with that every once in a while? I'm appreciating the fact that they hold people accountable for showing up to rooms. So, you have to show up by 4p otherwise they give the room away. You have to book by phone. Yes, they accept american express. All of their rooms have kitchenettes, with the exception of the suite: room 223. Unfortunately, that is my room. So, if you need a kitchen, you should probably be sure to specify the necessity of one. And, I mean NO KITCHEN. No fridge, no microwave, no stove. All the pictures online suggest that there are kitchenettes in ALL of the rooms. This just is not the case.
Moving on... it's a quaint motel in a great location (if you dont mind the highway traffic, which we don't)

Room Tip: Be specific. Check on their website for layouts. Remember rm 223 is not the same as the other 2 bed...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Podperf
Lincolnshire
Reviewed 8 July 2013

A good value for money hotel. The owner I found to be helpful and friendly. All was clean and there was a small on site pool. The onsite restaurant was good, if a little expensive, serving breakfast and lunch only. Large portions and good quality. There is a chemist and supermarket very nearby which is useful. The only negative is that its quite a distance from the town centre, too far to walk if its hot.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo