“REGRET STAYING HERE...RUDE...LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE”
Review of Hillside Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Rosa
Hillside Inn
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I rented a room from Hillsiade Inn for an International guest & from the get go the man at front desk gave me a hard time, he was rude & condensending. My guest was resting in his room & put the DO NOT DISTURB SIGN on door. The maid knocks on door saying she HAS TO clean room. My guest said no thank you...I have the sign on door. The maid leaves & comes back a few hours later & knocks again. This time my guest was bothered & asked her if she sees the sign on the door. She said yes but I'm told I have to clean so my guest goes to the front desk & talks to the man there explaining what happened. The front desk man tells my guest he is no longer welcomed there & to leave. My guest said he will not leave because we paid for the room & that was rude of him. I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE STAY AT THIS HOTEL...I USUALLY GO ELSEWHERE BUT ALL THE SURROUNDING HOTEL WERE BOOKED FOR THE DATES I NEEDED N THIS WAS THE ONLY PLACE AVAILABLE AT THE TIME....UNFORTUNATELY

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank puertoricanmama

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I called three months ago to book 3 rooms for end of July. The owner Bob told me nothing was available, he had no waiting list and to call back Mid May. He told me this info not by offering but by my pursuing options.
I called back last night and new person said rooms were available, gave me options and suggested I call owner Bob in am since she was new.
I called Bob, greeted him with Hi Bob, How are you today? and he said: what do you want?
I said I was just trying to be friendly but if he's not into that here's what I want- I gave him the history, my needs and he bluntly said "we are all booked with the Sonoma County Fair"
I said ok, told him he was rude and said good bye.
I will NEVER STAY AT THE HILLSIDE INN...no matter how inexpensive and convenient location wise it is.
I have booked my family at The Palms In where they are friendly, helpful and, accomodating .
The rooms at The Palms Inn look much nicer that The Hillside Inn anyway.
I tyravel to Santa Rosa regularly and Bob just lost a lot of business.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Journeywoman_8
Reviewed 7 May 2014

omg I just tried to book a room, and give this guy a credit card because I would be coming in past 6pm. He told me to call him, and prefer not to guarantee my room! and then advised if I didn't like my option I should stay somewhere else! What poor customer service over the phone and floored he wont hold a room! very rude

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Tracey S
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This motel in Santa Rosa was built around 1965 and is still in good condition. It has the U-shaped horizontal style surrounding a swimming pool that was popular at that time. The owner still runs it as if it was 1965 and you get a handwritten receipt with "Paid" stamped on it. You can stay here for under $100 a night. The restaurant is a bit pricier than Denny's but my wife says the quality is better.

It is a twenty-mile scenic drive down Highway 12 through lush countryside and wineries here and there to Sonoma. Then it is a ten-mile scenic drive to Napa through the same type of countryside. Sonoma is less of a tourist trap and has the best winery to visit which is Buena Vista, the oldest winery in the whole area, and about a mile east of historic downtown Sonoma down East Napa Street.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Want rude customer service, your room given away if you run into bad traffic and don't arrive by 4 pm? How about gold flecks in your room's ceiling and 20-year-old bed spreads? If you want that and a pool that doesn't get cleaned very often, the Hillside Inn is for you. If not, run for the hills. I wish I had. You couldn't pay me to stay here again.

Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank vickyhastings
Reviewed 14 April 2014

It's been a decade and quite a few visits since we first stayed at Hillside Inn for a week after being out of the country. It was pleasantly "retro" then and has maintained the image with a comfortable, spotless facility that is totally devoid of glitz, glam or the obsequious perkiness that some seem to equate with "service." Prices have increased very little over the years. They are consistently an excellent value in this relatively high-end market, especially now that WiFi is included. The best of Santa Rosa shopping and a number of excellent restaurants are a short walk away. We've especially enjoyed Jeffrey's (on site), Crepe Vine, SEA Thai and Creekside. We have family in Santa Rosa, so we've stayed in a wide range of accommodations, but we're just as happy skipping the flat screen tv sets, "free" waffles and high thread count duvets to come back to Hillside for a good night's sleep in a place that feels a lot like home.

Room Tip: Rooms in back are quieter. Don't take the one right next to or above the restaurant if you hope...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Basic, clean accommodation, but hasn't been upgraded in years. I was upset that it's listed in the AAA book as offerring an AAA member discount (and displays the AAA sign) but after we got a room quote we then showed our membership card and asked for the discount. "It's already factored into the price" said the lady. Not possible: how could it be factored in until you know the guest is AAA?
Staff seemed to have an indifferent attitude, the pool had black objects (looked like rotting leaves) and all in all seemed less than a good deal. For $20 less I guess I'd have been more satisfied.

Room Tip: Try somewhere else.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple