“The best beer in the country”

Russian River Brewing Company
Ranked #4 of 527 Restaurants in Santa Rosa
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pizza, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
San Jose
“The best beer in the country”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

If you have never heard of Russian River Brewing Company, then you must not know that they make the two top beers in the country, "Pliny the Elder" and "Pliny the Younger", based on the amount of awards those beers have received. Basically, this brewery is the best in the country, and there are those that argue it is the best in the world. Just visiting this brewery alone justifies a trip to Santa Rosa.

I have been traveling to Santa Rosa and visiting this brewery consistently over the last three years. If you read my other reviews here on the site, I know Santa Rosa very well and consider it my second home. As the demand for beer from Russian River has grown, the amount of people coming to visit the brewery has grown. It used to only get very busy on weekend evenings. Now it is busy all day, every day, including in the off season, which is winter time.

The brewery is a small restaurant with a big bar: they have all their beers on tap, and they have several "guest" taps of other breweries from the region. They serve some of the best pub food in the area, especially the pizza. A typical wait for a seat at the bar or a table in the restaurant can be as long as two hours on a weekend. During a release weekend, expect lines of several hours.

Coming to eat and drink at Russian River Brewing is an experience. It's not "just another bar" or "just another brewery." This is THE brewery. Arrive early, expect to wait, and be patient. If you do this, you will have an experience that is unparalleled if you are a beer drinker. That the food is good, that the people are great, and that the atmosphere is fun are all bonuses. It's loud, crowded, and amazing. If you're anywhere in the wine country, clear an evening and go for a visit. You won't regret it!

• Visited March 2014

• Korean first
Santa Cruz, California
“Not a beer drinker but still enjoyed myself”
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Went here to go "beer tasting" I'm not a beer drinker and was told to go "tasting" to find something I like. After all, there's something for everyone. Although I tasted half the board I didn't find anything I liked. I like the food though, and the legged sister was warming up outside so we had lovely entertainment. Didn't love the service because when I asked if they served a cider I got a dirty look from the bartender. Sorry, I didn't know that was bad bee manners to ask. When I visited the Guiness factory in Dubin they had cider on tap...

• Visited June 2014
Dayton, Ohio
“Excellent pizza”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stopped here to have beer and wanted some dinner too. We ordered the pizza and it was excellent! The crust was thin and crispy and the sauce ,cheese and pepperoni were really good too. This was one of our favorite pizzas on our entire trip. I would recommend the pizza here to anyone.

• Visited June 2014
Kula, Hawaii
“Super crowded with a great selection”
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

The bar is always super crowded. We went in just to try a couple glass of beer. We had the stout: a little bit of a bite but, very smooth going down. Wish we had time to try a flight. Maybe next time.

Melbourne, Australia
“Crowded for a reason”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I sighed when I saw the line (at 4:00) and a bouncer who I thought was going to be overbearing. The line moved pretty quickly and the doorman turned out to be affable. His problem is that there are always people trying it on to cut the line. The reason for this is that what's inside you can't really get anywhere else. Great people behind the counter. I went by myself and spoke with some random locals. The beer selection is outstanding which is no surprise from one of the world's best breweries.

• Visited May 2014