“"A room with a view" hidden beneath the Golden Gate bridge.”
Review of Cavallo Point

Cavallo Point
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Sausalito
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 17 April 2011

It's been 8 months since my husband and I stayed at Cavallo point but I think of it often and plan on returning. We stayed in an "historic room with a view" for a special price. The setting is pure romance with views of the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco. It really is a great base for exploring the area. Our first day we hiked in the Marin Headlands, Muir Woods and Muir Beach and took a trip to wine country on another. We had breakfast on the porch and dinner at Murray's Circle as well as room service another evening... food was wonderful every time.

The spa heated pool is set in a beautifully landscaped setting with the Marin headlands rising up behind it....very soothing. They also serve very reasonable and delicious salads and sandwiches at the spa....we ate ours overlooking the pool on our last day.

We woke up before sunrise several mornings to walk down to the waterfront and take pictures of San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge. There is a nice walk along the water, under the bridge and up a path to a spectacular lookout of the city, the bridge and ocean. I can't say enough about how unique the setting is - it's quiet, laid back, historical and in the midst of a national park with dramatic views of San Francisco.

I would describe service as laid back and casual, not great but not bad. My only complaint here was that the book of services in the room stated a different closing time for the spa than another piece of literature we had been given at check out. As a result we missed going to the spa till the last day.

I'm a pretty tough critic when it comes to lodging and this was the perfect place for us. I could see where it might not appeal to some because of it's secluded location. Sausalito is a short drive down the road and San Francisco is just over the bridge. It is somewhat isolated but that's the beauty of it. To have such spectacular views of the city and be surrounded by trees, San Francisco Bay and the Marin Headlands is truly unique.

Our only regret is that we wished we had stayed longer.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 April 2011

There were a number of issues that made the visit miserable.
The rooms have no climate controls. I mentioned to the hotel staff and they said they were going to look into the issue but there was no resolve. The engineering staff suggested that I open the windows.
Another very irritating issue was that the free Internet Access had to be renewed every 8 hours, extremely inconvenient!
While there with a group and attending a conference I had the opportunity to sample the food. It was not very edible, this from a resort that touts the food as a positive part of the resort experience.
The location is also very isolated due to the distance and the location at the foot of the Golden Gate Bridge. I do realize that this isolation is probably very appealing to certain guests but with respect to a conference group it was very inconvenient.
After explaining the issues to the front desk manager her single response was that she was very sorry! I am sorry but this response is unacceptable.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
7  Thank Joe3272
eclairs8, Executive Office at Cavallo Point, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the property. We deeply value all guest feedback and always appreciate guests taking the time to share their experiences.

We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences that you have encountered during your stay. Improving the guest experience is on our list of top priorities; therefore, any suggestions from guests, such as yourself, are always considered when we re-evaluate our standards and procedures. Your concerns regarding climate controls, internet access and food quality are duly noted and will be forwarded to the appropriate managers to be addressed.

Once again, thank you for your observations. We hope you will allow us another opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Executive Assistant

Reviewed 3 April 2011

This area used to be a military base, so my expectations were not too high going into the weekend. Moreover, I had just been to an adjacent town, Tiburon for one-wekend, the previous month, so I thought I didn't think there was much to do in this area. I was surprisingly amazed by the open space and amount activities one can enjoy on-site.

Both the room and bathroom were very spacious. The room had avery small living space with a t.v. and two reading chairs detached from the sleeping area . A large patio surrounded the three-room building, and had inviting chairs available for reading or simply enjoying the incredible views.

Since we were here for a day, we did not get to take advantage of the cooking demonstrations, spa, nature hike or yoga class; however we did get in a short hike from the hotel to a beach in the Marin Headlands. One can easily walk or bike the Golden Gate in addition to the Headland trails. Since it was an ideal sunny, cloudless day - rare in SF/Saucalito - we were able to enjoy incredible views every step we took. It made for an extra worthwhile experience.

I encourage you to take advantage of the on-site restaurant. The chef cooks only with fresh, seasonal ingredients. I was able to dine in the main dining room. (I would have eaten outside on the porch, but it was full.) While the food was a bit pricey, it was superb and memorably presented.

Finally, because my partner had been there for work with an environmental non-profit, we recevied an exclusive rate that truly could not be beat. This was value at its best. I will undoubtedly be back again, but next time with my bike and for a full weekend to enjoy Cavallo to its fullest!

For dog owners, this place is a special treat. I'm guessing this is a dog-friendly hotel because I saw a few people there accompanied by leashed dogs.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
eclairs8, Executive Office at Cavallo Point, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your personal experience at our Lodge. Your compliments are very much appreciated and we will be sure to share them with everyone on staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the property on your next visit!

Best Regards,

Executive Assisant

Reviewed 16 March 2011

We stayed in one of the historic King suites, and the accommodation was wonderful. The rooms were spacious and nicely appointed, the bed extremely comfortable, and the bathtub was fantastic. We also liked that you could open the windows for fresh air, which was useful. The heating was more than adequate -- in fact, we usually turned it off, even though we were there at the beginning of March. There's only a fan and no air conditioning, so I would be a little cautious about staying here in the warmer months. It was great to step out of the house and see so much nature around, plus a wonderful view of the Golden Gate bridge and the San Francisco skyline (when it wasn't foggy). Accommodation and location are excellent.

What was less excellent was the service, especially room service / housekeeping -- getting anything took forever, and on one occasion they forgot all about it. The restaurant and bar are very good -- delicious food and a good wine and beer list. But, as other reviewers mentioned, you got only what was on the menu. We had a small child who wanted oatmeal in the evening. No, they couldn't do it. Oatmeal only in the morning, take it or leave it. We have never had this problem at other upmarket hotels, which this one is clearly trying to emulate. The staff was generally friendly (except one lady at the front desk), but service definitely needs improvement. This is the only reason we would consider staying at another hotel -- otherwise this one would be perfect.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank pickyandjaded
Reviewed 16 March 2011

My only regret with this place is not staying longer. This was one of the most beautiful and comfortable places I've ever stayed and it does it all without a hint of pretentiousness. We had a historic room with a view. The room was more like rooms, plural. It had a spacious living room that was complete with very comfortable furnishings including a telescope and fireplace, a bedroom with a super comfy king bed and another fireplace as well as a giant antique floor to ceiling built-in cabinet and a giant bathroom with huge jacuzzi tub and separate, very large shower. The room also had a porch with a pair of Adirondack chairs. It was really more like a vacation home than a room. The restaurant was nothing short of amazing with course after course of delicious food and deep wine list. The staff in the restaurant was beyond accommodating moving us to a more romantic table and suggesting beautiful wine choices. Everything was beyond my greatest expectation.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank clayewi
eclairs8, Executive Office at Cavallo Point, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to correspond with us regarding your visit to Cavallo Point, The Lodge at the Golden Gate. We are very appreciative that you have taken the time to post your review and are so delighted to hear that you had a pleasant experience at our property. The team at Cavallo Point is very proud of our dedicated staff and beautiful facility, and is always happy and grateful to hear from our guests that we have met and/or exceeded their expectations.

Thank you again for your feedback we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Best Regards,

Executive Assistant

Reviewed 8 March 2011

My wife and I stayed in a Historic King with a View room. It was incredibly comfortable. The sitting area had a view of the city and we could see the top of the Golden Gate Bridge. The bathroom itself wasn't large but the shower was large and comfortable. The bed, oh my, the bed was sooo comfortable. It was the only bed my wife and I have both said is more comfortable than our own. We ate one night at Farley Bar and one night at Murray Circle and both were delicious! I would come again!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RandalT
Reviewed 2 March 2011

Great location if you want to hike. Could have spectacular views, or not, depending on the infamous San Francisco weather. Room was almost, but not quite spartan - a 'green' room, which would all be OK if it weren't for the fact that the heating wasn't on when we arrived and it took ages to heat up a very cold room. They knew we were coming so why don't they fire up the heating?
We were attending a function and with heels it is impossible to get to the main event rooms without taking a golf cart ride, but they do respond quickly.
Certainly has charm, redolent of its history as an ex-miltitary base, and I rather liked that. Staff were helpful. We ate at the event and I wasn't impressed.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Chwarae422
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sausalito
The Lodge at Tiburon
Nob Hill
Fairmont San Francisco
Fairmont San Francisco
#28 of 230 in San Francisco

Been to Cavallo Point? Share your experiences!