“Beautiful property, service is spotty”
Review of Cavallo Point

Cavallo Point
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Sausalito
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Bellevue
“Beautiful property, service is spotty”
Reviewed 2 August 2011

This property is a former Army training post. It saw heavy usage but is now in a national park area and, from what I can gather, the hotel leases what is left of the base as its hotel. The grounds, being a former army base, are not unsprisingly rather bare as you drive up. However, you are (visually) right at the foot of the north side (under) the golden gate bridge. Our room had an amazing view - when we were not fogged in.

We stayed in what appears to be a set of more newly constructed buildings, much like condos, from the outside, but inside were a very nicely sized, suite like hotel room. Those buildings are two stories. Ours was on the second story and had an amazing faulted celing. I suspect that if you have a ground floor unit, you will be sans faulted ceiling. However the rooms were very, very nicely decorated in a sort of modern, spa like treatment. All of these types of units have balcones (sp). The rooms were great.

It appears the property also has more traditional houses to rent, I suspect formerly officer's quarters but as we did not stay, I cannot comment.

The bar is really, really nice. The food was very good. If you stay at the property, you simply have to go for a drink. It is not to be missed.

I would have given this place a 5 star rating but for what happened at check out.

Okay, first black mark : NO BUSINESS CENTER. Really ? Not even a computer in the lobby to print boarding passes ? The hotel devotes hundreds of square feet off the lobby for some type of innane surf board art gallery. All very lovely. But you know what would have been prettier ? A darn computer.

So, here I am, late (welll, not technically "late" to my plane, but definately sharply on time with no excess wiggle room). Okay, I take responsibilty for that. But, I stop by the lobby to print a boarding pass - assuming a business center. Silly me. So, I go to the front desk seeing none and the lady offers to print one for me. Okay, thats fine, but then she asks for all sort of information (confirmation number, etc) no one ever has. Right ? We log on to our account and do it from there. See that was going no where, I asked her again, really, no business center? Well, she says, we do have these little net-books and you can print from that. Oh hey, that sounds fine, says I.

So, I boot it up... wait... wait... Okay, so I not close to 7 minutes into the dance, but seeing the light at the tunnel, I think all is well. Then the network it is password protected. Of course it is. I mean, they are only on a national park, its not like anyone is doing drive-bys. And as they give it to you on asking, what is the point.

So, I of course ask for it, she gives it, and then begins anoher 5 minutes of frustration as I type if over and over again to no avail.

As she explains it, "just hit the "password hint" (if you know windows, you know what I mean) I did. It was " i Agree" so I think, okay, no problem. I type if in. No luck. I try a few more times... not too hard to type it ? Yes ? Still no luck. (oh, by the way, remember the password, NOT " I agree," "i agree."

I ask her to confirm it. I am typing the correct one, she says it, confirms the instruction (the password hint) and I try again. Still no luck. I ask her again. So, she asks me if she would like to type it for me. Sorry ,but that struck the wrong chord with me - I did not get catty however, just said no thank you, and soldiered on.

Tried a few more times and now I am about ready to loose my cool, and so I ask her again: can you please confirm it. So of course, she says the same thing. Very, very annoyed at this point, and no over 10 minutes into it, I say, it is not working, here, and give her the computer back.

So, she types it in, and gets right on.

What was the problem, you ask ?

The password, is " i agree." The password hint is " I agree." And how do we all spell "I"? With a capital, of course.

Arrrrggg!!!!!!!!!

Okay, little things matter. Using the wrong punctuation on you darn password hint and send guests down a rabbit hole for 10 minutes, not good.

But is that all ? Oh no. Wait, there is more.

Okay, now on the computer, and now nearly 15 minutes into this, my fingers fly and I get on the web site, pull up my acc ount, and litterally 30 seconds left to window to print my pass.... can you guess what happened next ? Yup.... THE DARN COMPUTER GOES DEAD. DEAD BATTERY.

Really ? I was in there at 9 am. No one bothered to put the thing on the charger last night ?

So, 20 plus-minutes wasted. No Boarding pass. I am disgusted. I am now late. I give her back the computer, tell her thank you, and leave.

So, I had two otherwise very nice days, punctuated by absolute frustration all caused by THREE, yes count them, 3 staff members who gave no attention to detail; but I will (1) the knuckle head who typed the password hint wrong, (2) the lady at the front desk who clearly know it was "little i" and I suspect also knew the password was wrong (I can't believe I am the first person that happened to) and did not think to say anything when she told me the password, and (3) the lazy person that did not bother to put the computer on the charger the night before.

So, count them, 3 DIFFERENT CHANCES to avert the poor customer service, all 3 dropped the ball.

In fairness to the management, when I was sent an email survery and explained this to them, they offered me a very night's stay. I doubt I will use it. But, I do appreciate the effort. I would have appreciated it more had that level of effort been put in up front.

So, wow, what to tell you... do you stay here?

Again, the room was really nice. The bar was very cool. I did not mention, but in front of the check in lodge is probably a 2 acre front yard (probably a marching ground in the old days) that just SCREMS soccer game with the kids. They would have loved it.

BUT SHOULD YOU STAY ????

If you have any business to do, the answer is quite simply and clearly NO. I mean, they have no business center. Not even a printer. So you can just forget printing anything unless you bring your own printer. Sorry, but that is black and white. I just can't fathom why they don't have a printer. They purport to be a "spa" but that is taking it to far.... and besides, I have been to plenty of spas with business centers.

If you are traveling with kids, wow, that front yard is really cool. And, it is right next to the bridge, there is a pier to walk out on. Definately a great property for kids.

Sausolito (I know it is spelled wrong, this is free to you, right ?) is about 5 minutes away. So, if that is where you want to be, it is pretty well located.

So, ultiamtely, I don't know. You make the call. I don't want to just flame the property and say "don't stay." But, those were my issues. What more can I tell you ?

Room Tip: If you are staying in one of the newer rooms (toward the back of the property, ask for the second fl...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WashingtonTravel_001

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Korean first
san diego
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Cavallo Point is currently on of my two favorite hotel resorts in the world. Fabulous location. Understated elegance in both the historic and modern accommodations. Retains much of its historic flavor and lacks embarrassing glitz. Good service. Very good food. Beautiful dining porch. Very pet friendly. Great views of GG Bridge and bay and SF. Great hikes nearby. Love the Mercantile. Quiet. Relatively secluded. A perfect getaway with lots of character.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank laddiesgirl
belmont, california
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Cavallo Point is a beautiful and peaceful facility. We enjoyed the Contemporary room accomodations with all of the attention to environmental detail. We again enjoyed a leisurely evening in the bar, dining on small plates and enjoying the new cocktail concoctions. The spa is dreamy - we never seem to allow for enough time to enjoy it long enough, though! While the fog didn't exactly make for the most picturesque evening view this time, it didn't matter, the weather was beautiful for our morning walk as the fog cleared and we enjoyed a clear view of the City as we ate breakfast outside at the restaurant. We look forward to our 3rd annual trip here next year!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I stayed at the hotel for business . The rooms have been so nicely renovated, while still keeping the charn and historic details. The grounds are fantastic and you cannot beat the views. Easy access to great hiking trails and only 5 minutes from main area in Sausalito. The food is really good (service a little slow though), but the highlight has to be the cooking school. I was priviledged to attend a private cooking class, but you can sign up to the many that are offered throughout the year. Even if you do not stay overnight, it is well worth going to and having a glass of wine by their firepit or on the porch.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Dubai
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We stayed twice at this hotel and by far there is nothing to compare when wanting to stay away from the city but yet accessible to everthing. If we ever want to visit San fransciso or any neighboring town here is where we will stay.

The views, the service, the location is one of its kind. Located on park ground over looking GG bridge.

Within the facilities is the Bay Discovery Museum, which is the children museum for tots. My kids simply enjoyed it.

Second we took a cooking class in the cooking school that was not education but alot of hands-on fun.

We tried both historic and contemporary rooms and both were good though the contemporary had better views.

A note: Tax is higher in this hotel because of the park fees and parking is also expensive and its not easy to just walk out of the hotel to go somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 27 July 2011

My wife and I decided to celebrate our wedding anniversary in San Francisco but because we we wanted to see the bay from our room and planned to visit Muir Woods and some museums in the Presidio, we chose Cavallo Point.   What a great decision!!!   We stayed three glorious nights in one of their contemporary rooms with a Golden Gate view.  We had just stayed at Bodega Bay Lodge and Meadowood in Napa so we had already stayed in some killer resorts.   Cavallo Point was the best of the three.   Elegant but relaxed.  First class aervice but not at all stuffy.

When we arrived, I was not happy to be told that we could not park our car next to our room.  Instead, we had to valet park ($20/day) and then have their bell staff take our luggage and us to our room in a golf cart.   We were in a hurry to change clothes to make a dinner reservation so I didn't want to wait for all of our luggage (we had a lot) to arrive.  The concierge Nancy noticed that I was unhappy and took control of the situation.  She got two bell staff to take all of our bags and us to our room immediately and arranged for the staff to pick us up at room at take us to our car at the time I requested.  It was very impressive how quickly everyone responded.  From that point on, every staff member we encountered was polite, friendly, addressed us by name, and was constantly trying to anticipate and address our needs.

Our room was incredible!   Not only was it "green" but it was comtemporary, beautiful and very functional.  The view was simply breathtaking!  How many places can you stare at the Golden Gate Bridge every time you look out the window?!   Our only complaint about our room was that they need a heater in the bathroom - it was rather chilly whenever we got out of the shower/bath.

The location is perfect if you plan to visit Sausalito, Muir Woods, Sonoma or the museums in the Presidio.   And it is SO peaceful.

Finally, the food, wine list, pricing and service at Murray Circle were all outstanding.  We eat at great restaurants a lot and we loved our meals there.   I would go there again over most of the nicest San Francisco restaurants.

I really cannot say enough good things about Cavallo Point.  For us, it was the perfect place to spend three nights.  We cannot wait to return.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank mickeyway
california
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We live in the area....but had never thought of staying so close to home. Decided to and spend the day exploring and using the phenomanal spa and yoga retreat. This is a fabulous place. If you are coming to san francisco or need a spot to stay between sfo and Napa...try cavallo point. Locals get a discount...so if you live in bay area! Yipeee!...and pets welcome!

Room Tip: I think the locals discount is sunday night...but it applies to rooms and spa.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
eclairs8, Executive Office at Cavallo Point, responded to this review, 1 August 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for kind comments. We are always so pleased to received positive feedback from guests and appreciate you posting your accolades on TripAdvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Warm Regards,
Christine Hoang
Executive Assistant
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sausalito
Hotel Sausalito
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,020 reviews
The Lodge at Tiburon
#2 of 2 in Tiburon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,338 reviews

Been to Cavallo Point? Share your experiences!