“Beautiful Location, Expensive Food”
Review of Cavallo Point

Cavallo Point
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Sausalito
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Mountain View, CA
“Beautiful Location, Expensive Food”
Reviewed 20 February 2013

We spent one night in a lovely Contemporary suite at Cavallo Point. We give high marks to the staff -- Bellman gave our delighted dog a chauffeured ride up to our room in the golf cart while we followed by car; gift shop staff were wonderfully fun and helpful too. Overall, they did a great job of making our pet feel welcome (special goodie bag and his own bed/pillow in the room). Location is really beautiful and unique, spectacular views once the fog lifted.

This was our second visit and we had the same feeling about the food, it was a bit too pricey and elaborate for us. It was difficult to find a "basic" item on the dinner menu (other than a burger). We ordered room service breakfast which was good, but also pricey (no surprise). We wandered down to the lobby and found delicious complimentary pastries and coffee, which would have been a better choice.

The gift shop has a very unique array of jewelry and clothing, well worth a look.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Karleshyogi
CavalloGM, General Manager at Cavallo Point, responded to this review, 22 February 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments and concerns on the food. We will be certain to pass on your feedback to our management team for further discussion on improvement.

We hope to welcome you back to Cavallo Point very soon!

Euan Taylor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Korean first
Atlanta
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We were at the Point for five days. It is an odd combination of good and bad. I lay most of the bad on the doorstep of the hotel’s management.

First the good:
1) The location is historic and interesting – a wonderful place to wander around.
2) My wife says the yoga classes were excellent.
3) The cooking classes are something that any “foodie” would enjoy. A lot of fun.
4) The trail hikes and walk about on the property are fun – definitely do it.
5) Best workers in the place were the valet/bellmen. The activities director and folks in the spa were also fantastic.
6) An excellent spa, with very capable people.
7) Breakfast and lunch were excellent.

But for a place that advertises itself as luxury, world class hotel, the Point falls short. Most of the problems we encountered were the failure of the hotel to properly communicate. For example:
(1) No newspaper delivery to your room – but you can pay for one on 48 hours notice – which no one told me about until we got there.
(2) I made the reservation six months in advance and requested a room with a great view. I was told that virtually every unit had a view. Our room had no view from any direction – nice view of the street from the front door though. Only after I got here and complained did they tell me the Historic Queen Suites had no views. They pointed out that is was listed without views on the Website – but I made my reservation using the hotel’s recommendation!
(3) On the afternoon of the second day we found out there was coffee and pastries every morning outside the reception area – but we had to stumble on it to know it existed – nothing in any of the information provided to us. Three of the four times I went for coffee, the coffee pot was empty.
(4) I had planned to take the ferry to SFO for a conference I was attending, but the hotel explained that (despite what I had been told when I made the reservation), the free shuttle to the ferry did not run until 10:30 (my conference started at 8:30 in SFO). I was told I could take a taxi to the ferry or the city. I paid $96 for two days to park at the conference hotel instead.
(5) When my wife tried to take the shuttle to take the ferry, they told her she would have to take a taxi, because the shuttle would arrive too late to take the ferry. This is despite the fact that we were told the shuttle could make the ferry and their own handout (provided when we arrived) say there is a 3:00 shuttle for the 3:20 ferry. Interestingly, they knew the 3:00 shuttle would not make the 3:20 ferry, but refused to change the shuttle time.

The little touches of a world class hotel were also missing. When you pay the price of a luxury hotel, you expect a certain standard of service. We were repeatedly disappointed. For example:
1) Only three pillows in the entire room.
2) No blanket in the unit.
3) A double bed (not a queen - in the “Queen’s Suite”?) that sagged – in a luxury hotel – are you kidding me?
4) There are not enough electric sockets in the rooms – we had to unplug lamps to charge cell phones and my laptop. I counted one unused socket in the entire living room.
5) WIFI access was spotty at best and kept dropping me. I finally used my own WIFI card.
6) There is no door between the living room and the bedroom so if someone is sleeping you cannot use the lights or TV in the living room without disturbing them. Why get a suite if you cannot use it when someone is sleeping?
7) Walls are pretty thin. You can hear most of what is going on outside, including the horns from passing ships. They actually give you ear plugs to help kill the noise. Never saw that mentioned on the website.
8) I told them this was for Valentine’s Day, my wife’s 60th birthday, her retirement after teaching for 30 years and our 34th wedding anniversary. I asked that if possible, the hotel upgrade us. I expected something from the hotel – perhaps champagne, a room upgrade, a piece of chocolate. We got a “congrats” upon check-in. We asked for a change and were told that none were available. However, as we walked around the property it was clear that about 25-30% of the rooms were vacant – including others with an actual view. I checked the hotel website and the hotel has plenty of rooms available.
9) Even though we were staying at the hotel for five nights, we could not get a dinner reservation for the restaurant. Most luxury hotels hold tables for their hotel guests. After we got here, we found they did not follow this pattern. Not very convenient when the Point is not close to town.
10) The Hotel wanted to add a $3 per day charge to our room for their favorite charity – look closely at your bill.

I went to Trip Advisor and was amazed to see that similar issues that we encountered were repeatedly made by other reviewers over the last three years, followed by a statement from hotel management that “we are sorry, but we will fix it,” followed by another poor rating on the same issues followed by another bland hotel explanation… and so on. Clearly, this places needs new management because the same problems continue to re-occur. Look over the last three years of negative comments in TripAdvisor.

Bottom Line: On balance, for us, the negatives override the positives. It is not remotely up to the expected standards of any luxury hotel I have ever stayed in, but you are paying for luxury treatment. What you are really paying for is its historic location and the view, but those are not enough to draw me back. Better route would be to come by for a drink or dinner, maybe take in the Cooking Class and/or spa and wander around – then go back to your better hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room at the top of the parade ground for the best views.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank JJS3
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your compliments and for your constructive feedback. We appreciate your concerns and wanted to address several of the items that you had mentioned in your post.

-Newspaper delivery: Please note that the SF Chronicle is provided complimentary at the Front Desk every morning. Due to our green initiatives, newspapers are not delivered automatically, unless otherwise requested, in order to reduce paper waste.

-Room Views: All rooms with the much sought after bridge views are labeled and referred to as such on our website and through our Reservations department. We are located within 35 acres of national park land, therefore every room has some sort of view, whether it be property, city or bridge view. However, to guarantee a specific view, please reserve the appropriately named room at the time of booking.

-Continental Breakfast: I’m very sorry to hear that you were not notified of the complimentary continental breakfast and the empty coffee pots in the lobby. We are pleased to inform you that we will be upgrading to an automated espresso/latte machine next month.

-Shuttle Service: I also apologize for the confusion regarding the shuttle schedule. We run a shuttle daily that leaves at 9am to San Francisco, and at 10:30am to the Sausalito Ferry Landing (for the 10:55am Ferry to SF). Our pickup times back to Cavallo Point are at 4pm from San Francisco and 5:15pm from the Sausalito Ferry Landing. We do also offer a sedan service, outside of our regular shuttle schedule for an additional charge.

-In regards to your wife’s attempt to make the 3:20 ferry, it is about a 10 minute trip from Cavallo Point to the Ferry landing. Based on this estimate, guests usually have no issue with catching the ferry on time; however, traffic patterns vary from day to day and may affect arrival time.

-Amenities: We do take into consideration the standards of a world class resort; however, in an attempt to maintain our eco-resort status, we are very mindful of remaining environmentally conscious without sacrificing guest needs and comforts. Additional blankets, pillows, etc. are always available upon request.

-Mattress: Our mattress brand, Stearns and Foster (Boulevard Collection) is of the highest quality. This type of mattress does have a plush pillow top, therefore it may seem softer than most beds that are provided at comparable hotels.

-Upgrade request: I understand that you and your wife were celebrating several special occasions during this stay and had requested a room upgrade. Please accept my sincere apologies as it was a very busy weekend and due to the lack of availability, we were unable to honor your request. We are a small hotel and must manage our inventory very carefully. Had there been a room opened over the duration of your 5-night stay, we would have been more than happy to accommodate an upgrade.

-Spa & Restaurant reservations: Thank you for your suggestions for improvement. We are currently reviewing our internal policy on holding restaurant tables and spa reservations for Lodge guests. However, we do recommend that spa and restaurant reservations be made at the time of booking.

-Goodnight Foundation: We are very proud to be associated with a charity that provides funding to organizations that strive to make our world a better place. Guests are informed at check-in that donations are optional and guests are able to opt-out if they so choose.

Once again thank you for comments. I hope that my response have addressed any of the concerns that you had mentioned in your post.

If there are any further questions that I may clarify, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at euan@cavallopoint.com.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We live in San Francisco and decided to take a last minute trip for Valentine's Day - We came to the right place! We were referred by the Inn at the Presidio, their other property in San Francisco as we normally stay there for a quick getaway. We wanted to be adventurous and go out of the city for this trip, so we called the Lodge.

From the reservation process to our departure, every moment was wonderful. Timothy recommended an exceptional florist to grab some roses and rose pedals and they had them all spread around the room when we later arrived. We didn't know what was better, the decorations or the spectacular view of the Golden Gate bridge stoically perched in the background of our window. We were speechless!

We then took advantage of the beautiful surrounding area to hike and have a beautiful picnic with San Francisco across the bay and Alcatraz as our backdrop. We hiked all the way to the city and enjoyed Lappert's Ice Cream! My favorite Ice cream from Hawaii! :)))

When we returned, there was wine out in the lobby and needless to say, after a long hike we were very happy to discover this! :) Timothy also recommended a wonderful restaurant in Tiburon that was fantastic.

The room was beautiful and modern, as we chose the contemporary accommodations. Everything was well laid out and the specialized details and amenities were enjoyed.

Thank you again for the wonderful trip!!!

Room Tip: If you like a more modern feel, choose the contemporary rooms as they are very new and BEAUTIFUL!
1 Thank Brett L
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to spend your Valentine's Day trip with us!

We sincerely appreciate your kind comments and hope to welcome you back to Cavallo Point for many more special occasions.

Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 13 February 2013

This is a hidden gem - an old Army Fort site next to the Golden Gate Bridge - northeast side. Some of the old historic buildings have been converted into nice large comfortable lodging units. They have also added some new contemporary units, which is where we stayed. The room was large and comfortable with a view of the bridge. However, the tall bath tub is a bit challenging for short people and the bed was not comfortable (too hard). The Lodge grounds are in a natural scenic setting with big trees, grass and some wild life - 3 deers visited us in the early evening. There are exceptional views of the Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco and the Bay throughout the property. There are also some very nice hiking trails very close and Sausalito is 5 minutes away by car. The Spa is calming and the tea bar is wonderful. All services on the property were excellent. The rates are expensive - look for specials. BEST- Watch the sunset on San Francisco.

1 Thank bobsroberts
CavalloGM, General Manager at Cavallo Point, responded to this review, 15 February 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review!

We appreciate your feedback and I will be certain to share your compliments and concerns with my management team.

We hope to welcome you back very soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2013

This hotel is just incredible. It's basically at the north side of the Golden Gate Bridge. So yes, you can take photos of the bridge very closely with less tourists! The surrounding is very green and beautiful. It's only about 8 min away to Sausalito town centre by a car (beautiful little town!).

The staff were friendly and very helpful. The room is large, modern and clean. The spa is lovely too. The swimming pool, tho.. could have been better, it's small and has got no views. Shame considering how big the hotel is.

Stayed here for 1 night... wish it was longer!

Room Tip: there are rooms with the Golden Gate Bridge view... more expensive but you will enjoy it (if it'...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank nasigoreng
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the Lodge with the TripAdvisor Community.

We hope to welcome you back very soon!

san francisco
Reviewed 5 February 2013

We had an over the top fabulous stay at Cavallo point. Our only regret is that we did not stay there sooner. There is no comparison to going there for a day for spa treatments versus staying the night. Currently, most of my wife's clients stay at the Mandarin Oriental or St Regis in San Francisco, before going on a trip. Cavallo would be a great alternative experience. So many things make your property special. We took every hike possible from there, took yoga classes from both teachers , had 3 spa treatments ; all were outstanding. Shaw does a fabulous job running the spa. Every time my wife arrives at a hotel she has a massage before she meet clients and most times they are good not great, but every therapist she has experienced at Cavallo has been excellent. The gift shop is the so well put together featuring great taste and quality. Leigh Vogen is a fantastic buyer,
We have never enjoyed shopping in a gift shop so much. We ate in both restaurants and had Sunday brunch and all were excellent. The staff at the hotel is wonderful and so friendly....from the entire front desk to Robin in reservations to the valets and
everyone at all of the restaurants. We never wanted to leave our room which was a great testament to the warmth and comfort provided in each room not to mention the excellent beds and Views. The times we ordered room service, it was delivered promptly and with a big smile, We had just returned from 2 weeks in St Barths and and we were more sad to leave Cavallo Point then our beautiful hotel there!!!! We had a fantastic stay and are sending very positive feedback to my wife's company, as she works for a top travel company, and will tell her entire client base and friends about it. Cavallo Point is a spectacular Sanctuary . We left feeling so rested and at peace. It is great to know we have something so special in our backyard. Thank you all from the bottom of our hearts. It was an unforgettable stay.
Amber & David

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your complimentary post!

We are ecstatic to hear that you had enjoyed your experience at the resort and will be certain to share your accolades with the teams mentioned.

If there is ever anything I can assist with, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at euan@cavallopoint.com.

Thank you again for your support and we look forward to welcoming you and your referred guests to the Lodge in the near future!

Monterey, California
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Cavallo Point is a wonderful destination if staying on the North End of the Golden Gate Bridge. There are both Historic lodgings (original,historic classy) and modern very well appointed rooms available. Each room is charmming in it's own way. Being from Monterey, we are used to living in a beautful surroundings, this is perfect. There are views on the property which include either expansive grassy grounds, old growth forest, The San Francisco Bay and of course the fantastic Golden Gate Bridge. You can walk to the shore line and stand under the North end of the Golden Gate Bridge or walk further up the trails where many visitors will be on the bike trails. You may find people fishing on one side of the dock and there is a small harbor on the opposite end. There were several long-style-outrigger-boats and paddlers having fun in the water. Walk a little further and you will find the abandoned concrete bunkers which once lodged cannons that protected the harbor and Bay entrance. The overall view from the restaurant / bar and front decks are awesome, there are several rocking chairs on the front patio decks for you to relax on - All services are great, first class all the way, ask for Jeff. Overall fun and rewarding.

Room Tip: All are great. We have stayed in the modern rooms and kind-of really like the ocean facing Historic...
1 Thank MaxC93940
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your post!

We will be certain to share your compliments with Jeff and the rest of our staff.

Please come back to visit us at Cavallo Point again very soon!

Euan Taylor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sausalito
The Lodge at Tiburon
Omni San Francisco Hotel
#3 of 228 in San Francisco
Waters Edge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Tiburon

Been to Cavallo Point? Share your experiences!