“Brilliant hotel in beautiful and calm location” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cavallo Point
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Sausalito
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Nice, France
“Brilliant hotel in beautiful and calm location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

Such a pleasure to come back to this hotel every evening after a day in the hectic city. It is an old army/naval base and is just gorgeous. We stayed in an apartment on the top floor, which was spacious and cozy - even let the fireplaces as was quite chilly in the evenings. Only downside is maybe that it is over the bridge, but it is not too bad of a drive into SF central.

Stayed July 2013
CavalloGM, General Manager at Cavallo Point, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your lovely post!

I'm so glad to hear that you had enjoyed your stay.

We hope to welcome you back for another visit in the future!

Euan Taylor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

This is a Special place at the base of the Golden Gate Bridge - a former US Army Post. The separate historic buildings that have been redesigned into hotel rooms are amazing; super comfortable and charming! We stayed for only one night for a conference that my husband was attending. I attended a great yoga class in the chapel in the morning and then headed over to the spa for a massage and facial. I was feeling very spoiled and pampered. Had lunch outside on the deck at the hotel's restaurant and did some shopping at the hotel's boutique. They have everything you need for a stay in the Bay Area. The sales associate hooked me up with some fabulous jeans and a sweater jacket that has become a staple in my wardrobe!
No elevators here - these are beautiful historic buildings. The golf cart drivers will take you to your room and help carry your bags up the stairs to your room. Wasn't a problem for us but guests should be aware.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CavalloGM, General Manager at Cavallo Point, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind compliments!

We hope to welcome you back again in very near future!

Portola Valley, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Attended a overnight with my husbands office. A perfect one night getaway. We were is a new room high up overlooking the San Francisco Bay and the Golden Gate Bridge. It was a foggy day so we were able to enjoy the sound of the fog horn. The room was very large and had a great view. I would suggest staying in a room on the second floor, as we could hear footsteps above. The restaurant is fabulous, as was the bar. There is an outdoor sitting area with a fire pit and heaters. They provide blankets too, to keep you nice and cozy. We had breakfast outside on the veranda, although it was a chilly morning, we were kept warm with heaters. The staff is very friendly and again the food excellent. There are wonderful hiking trails all around and its a lovely walk into Sausalito.
Forgot to mention the complimentary locally made snacks in the room, and wine offerings upon arrival. This is a lovely getaway. My favorite is the view of the Golden Gate!

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful post!

Please do come visit us again at Cavallo Point very soon!

Point Arena, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

The worse part was leaving. I can't say enough about cavallo point. Everyone was genuinely kind and helpful. We stayed in the historic building and it was more than I could ask for. I told my husband I felt like a queen. Relaxing, beautiful . I did get a spa treatment and it was magnificent. Breakfast and dinner was superb. I cannot think of many more adjectives to describe this glorious place. I cannot wait to go again. I cannot imagine anyone giving cavallo point less than five stars. I

2 Thank tsgw
CavalloGM, General Manager at Cavallo Point, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful post!

We are ecstatic to hear that you had a lovely stay and hope to welcome you back very soon.

Nantucket, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

We decided at the last minute to go to Sausalito, because it was a magnificent day with the sun shining brightly. We called from the car to see if we could get a reservation at the restaurant and were told that the walk-in wait was an hour to an hour and a half. Not to be deterred we went anyway. After putting our name on the wait list for a table outside, we went to the bar, got our drinks and went up to the second floor and enjoyed our drinks soaking up the view and the sun. We had the whole second floor to ourselves and soon enough were told our table was ready. We ordered the guacomole - don't bother. There were qumquats (I know weird) in it, the "chips" were match stick sized and there were about 8 chips in total (so figure around 1/4 a flour tortilla). My daughter had ordered her hamburger medium rare, and it arrived well done, the french fries were undercooked (still pale in color), dripping in grease and cold. My chicken salad sandwich with avocado was under seasoned. We hardly saw the waiter after our food was served. The tables are oblong with benches (some with cushions, some without) and not very comfortable. My back was to the view the whole lunch (sort of misses the point of going!) I won't be running back for sure.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank wendytruth
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

I'm very sorry to hear that your experience at the restaurant did not meet with your expectations. The situation you had described is not in keeping with our goal to provide exceptional service and I will be certain to relay your comments and concerns to our culinary and management team.

Again, thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. I hope that you choose to visit Cavallo Point again at some point in the future and allow us the opportunity to provide you with an experience equal to our usual high standards.

San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

My husband and I are locals, living in San Francisco, and have stayed here before when they first opened. More recently, my husband bought me a gift card here for Christmas so we booked a night's stay. The morning of we got a call from the general manager (I believe his name was Josh or Ben, wish I could remember because our unforgettable stay was thanks to him!) saying that the hotel was overbooked and would we be willing to stay at an alternate hotel and receive a free night's stay in a King Suite for a future date. Hell ya was our answer. So, we stayed at another hotel in Sausalito compliments of Cavallo Point that night.

That was a few months ago. We just got back from our amazing stay in the Historic King Suite, again complimentary. We must have been given one of the best accommodations on the property. It was spectacular. Located in an old Admiral's quarters, our suite was extremely well done -- the period character was so special and you can tell the resort invested in keeping the history of the property but indulging in every luxury. We had a bottle of wine, chocolates and fruit waiting for us with a nice note and also had complimentary snacks and minibar treats as well (I think that's standard).

I had a treatment at the spa and it was perfect. We ordered room service for breakfast and ate it on our wraparound porch. This property is special - it's inviting for families, girls getaways, romantic getaways, retreats, really for any occasion. It is very expensive but is also full of value so you don't resent shelling out the cash you do (of course, for this stay it was on the house), which isn't always true at other high end resorts.

For locals and tourists, highly recommend this resort...and if staying overnight isn't in your budget definitely stop by for a meal or cocktails on the porch. Thanks Cavallo Point for treating us so well! We'll be singing your praises to everyone we know!!

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind compliments!

We hope to welcome you back very soon in the near future.

Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

The spa was fantastic. The amenities were wonderful. The masseuse I had - Leone was exceptional. The only downside was the 2 major parties meeting up there for a special occasion (bachlorette party and 40th birthday). While most people understand their excitement they were not exactly quiet. There is not enough space on the property to find yourself a quiet place with that kind of commotion.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank J F
CavalloGM, General Manager at Cavallo Point, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your post regarding your visit to our Healing Arts Center & Spa.

We hope you welcome back very soon!

Euan Taylor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sausalito
Fisherman’s Wharf
Financial District
Loews Regency San Francisco
Loews Regency San Francisco
#2 of 227 in San Francisco

Been to Cavallo Point? Share your experiences!