“OMG”

Cavallo Point
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Sausalito
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We were invited to the joint birthday/new year's eve celebration for dear friends in Sausalito & decided to stay for our 3-night visit on the Marin side of the Golden Gate Bridge. We picked Cavallo Point rather at random as one of not many choices in Sausalito proper & boy were we happy we did. Our beautifully decorated room was amazing with an utterly spectacular view of the whole span of the bridge. The evenings were chilly, really too chilly to spend much time on the balcony (our only regret), so the gas fireplace was welcome and added a cozy ambiance to the comfortable elegance. The restaurant is excellent -- we thoroughly enjoyed eating breakfasts on the sunny porch overlooking the old Ft. Baker parade grounds, the bridge and the City in the distance. At night two firepits provide a perfect setting for a pre-dinner glass of wine. This is a very special place indeed.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
CavalloGM, General Manager at Cavallo Point, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your compliments!

We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Euan Taylor

Write a ReviewReviews (1,039)

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Not sure what everyone is so enthralled about here. Sure it's quiet but no central air and nothing to keep the mosquitos away when you open the windows.
Service was nice but not much above what one would expect from a supposed top hotel.
In the end, I would recommend staying/going home!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
12  Thank 492christiank

Dear Valued Guest,

I'm sorry to hear that your stay did not meet with your expectations.

If you would like to discuss your stay in further detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at Euan@cavallopoint.com.

Once again, we appreciate your feedback and hope to clarify any questions you may have.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Such a pleasure to come back to this hotel every evening after a day in the hectic city. It is an old army/naval base and is just gorgeous. We stayed in an apartment on the top floor, which was spacious and cozy - even let the fireplaces as was quite chilly in the evenings. Only downside is maybe that it is over the bridge, but it is not too bad of a drive into SF central.

Stayed: July 2013
CavalloGM, General Manager at Cavallo Point, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your lovely post!

I'm so glad to hear that you had enjoyed your stay.

We hope to welcome you back for another visit in the future!

Reviewed 6 March 2014

This is a Special place at the base of the Golden Gate Bridge - a former US Army Post. The separate historic buildings that have been redesigned into hotel rooms are amazing; super comfortable and charming! We stayed for only one night for a conference that my husband was attending. I attended a great yoga class in the chapel in the morning and then headed over to the spa for a massage and facial. I was feeling very spoiled and pampered. Had lunch outside on the deck at the hotel's restaurant and did some shopping at the hotel's boutique. They have everything you need for a stay in the Bay Area. The sales associate hooked me up with some fabulous jeans and a sweater jacket that has become a staple in my wardrobe!
No elevators here - these are beautiful historic buildings. The golf cart drivers will take you to your room and help carry your bags up the stairs to your room. Wasn't a problem for us but guests should be aware.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
CavalloGM, General Manager at Cavallo Point, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind compliments!

We hope to welcome you back again in very near future!

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Attended a overnight with my husbands office. A perfect one night getaway. We were is a new room high up overlooking the San Francisco Bay and the Golden Gate Bridge. It was a foggy day so we were able to enjoy the sound of the fog horn. The room was very large and had a great view. I would suggest staying in a room on the second floor, as we could hear footsteps above. The restaurant is fabulous, as was the bar. There is an outdoor sitting area with a fire pit and heaters. They provide blankets too, to keep you nice and cozy. We had breakfast outside on the veranda, although it was a chilly morning, we were kept warm with heaters. The staff is very friendly and again the food excellent. There are wonderful hiking trails all around and its a lovely walk into Sausalito.
Forgot to mention the complimentary locally made snacks in the room, and wine offerings upon arrival. This is a lovely getaway. My favorite is the view of the Golden Gate!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful post!

Please do come visit us again at Cavallo Point very soon!

Reviewed 20 February 2014

The worse part was leaving. I can't say enough about cavallo point. Everyone was genuinely kind and helpful. We stayed in the historic building and it was more than I could ask for. I told my husband I felt like a queen. Relaxing, beautiful . I did get a spa treatment and it was magnificent. Breakfast and dinner was superb. I cannot think of many more adjectives to describe this glorious place. I cannot wait to go again. I cannot imagine anyone giving cavallo point less than five stars. I

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tsgw
CavalloGM, General Manager at Cavallo Point, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful post!

We are ecstatic to hear that you had a lovely stay and hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We decided at the last minute to go to Sausalito, because it was a magnificent day with the sun shining brightly. We called from the car to see if we could get a reservation at the restaurant and were told that the walk-in wait was an hour to an hour and a half. Not to be deterred we went anyway. After putting our name on the wait list for a table outside, we went to the bar, got our drinks and went up to the second floor and enjoyed our drinks soaking up the view and the sun. We had the whole second floor to ourselves and soon enough were told our table was ready. We ordered the guacomole - don't bother. There were qumquats (I know weird) in it, the "chips" were match stick sized and there were about 8 chips in total (so figure around 1/4 a flour tortilla). My daughter had ordered her hamburger medium rare, and it arrived well done, the french fries were undercooked (still pale in color), dripping in grease and cold. My chicken salad sandwich with avocado was under seasoned. We hardly saw the waiter after our food was served. The tables are oblong with benches (some with cushions, some without) and not very comfortable. My back was to the view the whole lunch (sort of misses the point of going!) I won't be running back for sure.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank wendytruth

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

I'm very sorry to hear that your experience at the restaurant did not meet with your expectations. The situation you had described is not in keeping with our goal to provide exceptional service and I will be certain to relay your comments and concerns to our culinary and management team.

Again, thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. I hope that you choose to visit Cavallo Point again at some point in the future and allow us the opportunity to provide you with an experience equal to our usual high standards.

Euan Taylor

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sausalito
Hotel Sausalito
Waters Edge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Tiburon
Fisherman’s Wharf
Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel

Been to Cavallo Point? Share your experiences!