“Some fabulous Pluses and some serious minuses”
Review of Cavallo Point

Cavallo Point
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Sausalito
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We are writing this while staying at Cavallo Point - so our experience here is related to our current stay. Cavallo Point is just a lovely location - the whole vibe is so No.Cal - peaceful, scenic, restful. It is clear that Cavallo Point was thoughtfully created by architects and designers who really wanted to maintain the integrity and natural beauty. The tricky part is that the price point is high - so high that Cavallo Point is a swing and miss when it comes to service. From the housekeeping, who leaves dirty dishes in our room all day, to the bartender and front desk whose favorite answer is "no" while appearing extremely annoyed by your presence, to the room service which was a complete disaster. The food is not exceptional (especially at these prices), which was surprising since it is right next door to the one of the best food cities in the country. Despite the overall disappointment with the staff, and the rather blah food - we would still give this place 4 out of 5 stars - because really the natural beauty is unparalleled natural beauty and the clear thought and planning that went into the design of this place. Too bad the current management is not as thoughtful in their hiring of the front staff (PS - the maintenance staff is superb and keeps the grounds impeccable).

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank IngridKatz
CavalloGM, General Manager at Cavallo Point, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

I appreciate your feedback and am very sorry to hear about your experience during your stay.

I have relayed your comments to my management team for further review and improvement.

I hope you do choose to visit us again in the near future and am happy to answer any further questions you may have.

Please contact me at euan@cavallopoint.com if I can ever be of any assistance.

Euan Taylor

Write a ReviewReviews (1,016)

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

The staff here is as good as you will encounter anywhere. The wine and cheeses in the afternoon, walks, yoga, spa, and the views make this preferable to staying in SF. The restaurant is excellent for breastfast, lunch, and dinner. It's hard to leave even for a short walk or bike ride to Sausalito. And Sausalito is incredible. I've been to SF and its great but I think I'm sold this is a better few days and a lot more relaxing. The packages are great value. Be ready for some healthy walking our riding since that's what most people are doing, locals and guests too.

The great old houses are fun and a wonderful choice for couples, small, and large groups.

Another phenomenal recommendation from Charles at Hurley Travel Portland, ME.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank glbltravl

Dear Valued Guest,

We sincerely appreciate your compliments-I will be certain to share your kind words with our staff!

Please do come visit us again very soon.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed at Cavallo Point as part of a retreat for my SO's company. We stayed in the contemporary suites. They were just the right size for a few nights and were beautifully furnished. The grounds themselves have a certain rustic and classic beauty. I am not sure this needs to be said, but yes the views of San Francisco, the bay and the bridge are breathtaking.

What really made our stay was the exceptional service of the staff at Cavallo Point. After coming back from dinner the first night, one of the front of house staff was the only person to notice that my SO had previously been wearing a hat and did not return from dinner with one! He was able to rush back to the restaurant to recover both his hat and his sunglasses.

During this trip I had also come down with a cold. At 10pm we went to the lobby to see where we could buy some cough drops. The front desk called security to open up the on site shop (which was closed) to procure some for us. The security guard took pity on me and offered me some of the tea she PERSONALLY had left over from a cold. She hand delivered this tea to us after giving us a ride back to our room. Unbelievable! What a saint!

Lastly, the food was amazing.

Wha a fantastic group of people! I will not quickly forget this experience. I would recommend this place again and again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind compliments!

We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

It was a great surprise, we ended there cause the W had no more place (we were in downtown) and it was amazing! the houses are so cozy you feel like in another country, more like a NAPA vibe. Perfect for a romantic getaway or a weekend out of the city. There are plenty of activities like yoga for free which was super and some coffee in the morning and walks. The pool is amazing. Though its not children friendly the spa and pool it is really near the bay area discovery museum which is my favorite place to take my toddler. The restaurant is great also. we actually returned we loved it

Room Tip: if you have kids take them to the bay area museum !
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
CavalloGM, General Manager at Cavallo Point, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your compliments!

We hope to welcome you back for another visit very soon.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

A friend is getting married at Cavallo Point in about 6 months and she wanted to test out the accommodations. So we stayed for 1 night and I have mixed feelings about this place.

Here's the great news:
The staff was warm and helpful. The grounds were beautiful. The buildings had lots of character and charm. Sitting in a rocking chair in the sun while staring out at the view, was memorable. The Spa was wonderful. I especially loved the 'Meditation Pool'. The temperature was perfect and felt like I was in a big bath. I also had an hour massage with Shawn and it was the best 1 hour massage I've ever had. And the food was delicious.

Here's the not-as-great news:
We stayed in a 'Contemporary' room. The view was wonderful. The room itself felt like it needed a little extra updating. I probably would have preferred to stay in an upper level room for more privacy. And unfortunately we had a few issues. The TV didn't work properly and we also didn't have hot water in the morning. Both issues were fixed relatively quickly, but we expected more from a luxury hotel.

Aside from those issues, I didn't want to leave. So, for that reason, I look forward to returning!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,

We sincerely appreciate your feedback and compliments.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you had mentioned and have forwarded on your comments to our management team to prevent any inconveniences in the future.

We hope to welcome you back very soon!

Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

After friends' recommendation & several calls & e-mails from the Lodge suggesting great concern for guests' well-being, we had high hopes for this place. Those were only met as to the stellar location, easy walking access to the bay, superb views of the bay and SF, and tranquility despite the overall size of this establishment.

Our standard room in one of the many original and beautifully preserved houses was small, w/o bay view, minimally decorated, no apparent temperature control, unlabeled bulk shampoo & conditioner. Cost was very excessive - close to $500 per night including taxes and a $25/night "resort fee"; breakfast was not included beyond a (good) pastry and hot beverage. Best things about the room were the very pleasant porches, one enclosed & attached to the room, the other open air & shared by the 3 or 4 rooms comprising that particular house.

Front desk was understaffed when we arrived early evening: zero mention of available amenities, check-out times, etc.

Total impression: considerable pretension but not that much substance.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your concern and have informed our management team of your comments for further review and improvement.

In regards to our specials, we do offer a 'Locals' Getaway' package that may provide more reasonable pricing options as well. Please navigate to our website for more details.

If I can assist with any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at euan@cavallopoint.com.

We hope to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I was totally not expecting this place to be so great. A former army post, this place delivers in all areas. Our flight was 5 hours late, and we were not happy. We should have arrived on San Francisco at 5:00, and by the time we got to Cavallo Point, it was nearly 11:00. The valet who greeted us was very welcoming as were the two guys at the front desk. We got upgraded for some reason, and we did not look a gift horse in the mouth. The valet showed us to our room, and it was like a little apartment. We had a king size bed in a large room with a whole other room attached with a full Brita water pitcher, many complimentary snacks, coffee, robes and slippers and beautiful classical music playing on the radio. The bathroom was very large, and the windows were easy to open for fresh air. The next morning we woke to a beautiful view with lots of sunshine. We had lunch on the long porch looking at the Golden Gate Bridge. The food was excellent, and the service was unobtrusive but efficient. They offered yoga and a two-hour hike that morning. The hike was challenging, and I'm so glad I did it. It was a good way to walk off the calories from breakfast. The spa was beautiful, but I didn't make use of it. There were many people walking their dogs and riding bicycles. It was just a beautiful experience overall.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your post-we are ecstatic to hear that you had enjoyed your stay!

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Euan Taylor

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sausalito
The Lodge at Tiburon
Waters Edge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Tiburon
Fisherman’s Wharf
Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel

Been to Cavallo Point? Share your experiences!