“Perfect setting to start a romantic getaway in Northern CA”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cavallo Point

Cavallo Point
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Sausalito
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Perfect setting to start a romantic getaway in Northern CA”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

My girlfriend and I spent three hours on the property this past Friday afternoon over the lunch hour (11am - 2pm). We flew to San Francisco from the Midwest on a surprise trip celebrating our first year together. My girlfriend didn't know about any of our weekend destinations, and she didn't know about my plans to ask her to marry me either. I'm not familiar with the San Francisco area, so I reached out to several people looking for suggestions on great places to pop the question. Cavallo Point was recommended on two separate occasions for its romantic and quiet footprint tucked away near the Golden Gate Bridge, so I decided to check it out by calling the concierge. Nancy Dubois - the chef concierge at Cavallo Point - volunteered to help me with the big day right away, and we exchanged messages for about a week to set up a memorable way to propose. I didn't have any familiarity with the property, but Nancy made it easy for me to see why Cavallo Point is so highly recommended. Their people are experts in hospitality and take a personal interest in visitors' and guests' time on the property. When I arrived at Cavallo Point with my girlfriend, the property was stunning and more than inviting with large pieces of land welcoming people to take walks and a variety of guest houses perched on small hillsides behind the main restaurant and reception areas. Nancy greeted my girlfriend and me at her desk - according to plan. Before I proposed, we grabbed drinks at Murray Circle's beautiful bar and then strolled to a quiet spot with the Golden Gate Bridge in the background. After she said, "Yes!", the restaurant staff was waiting with a really cool corner table next to a fireplace. Jose served our table, and he was more than attentive and provided excellent recommendations. We were overwhelmed by how well the staff took care of us. We sat down at 11:45am, and I was expecting to leave by 1pm. Needless to say, the whole experience was top notch, and we ended up staying until 2pm which made us late for our first appointment in Napa. It was too hard to break away from this wonderful setting and over-the-top staff. My fiancee and I want to bring both sets of our parents back to this special place, and in the future, we're looking forward to actually staying at the hotel. From the staff to the views to the welcoming atmosphere and the excellent food...Cavallo Point is a top destination on our return trip!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Corey F
CavalloGM, General Manager at Cavallo Point, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review and congratulations on your engagement!

We appreciate you choosing us as your resort of choice to celebrate such a special occasion.

We hope to welcome you back very soon!

Euan Taylor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Korean first
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at Cavallo Point. The rooms are beautifully appointed, yet minimal and unfussy. We were pleased with the fabulously comfy beds, gas fireplace and gorgeous views, and the room service breakfast was not only punctual and the most delicious room service i've ever heard.

Great wine happy hour, although we missed it today ;(.

The grounds are impeccable, and the trails and proximity to the water and bridge made a great afternoon for us. We also really enjoyed the Marin Headlands just next door... it was hard to drag ourselves into SF when there was so much to do and see here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review!

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

We are writing this while staying at Cavallo Point - so our experience here is related to our current stay. Cavallo Point is just a lovely location - the whole vibe is so No.Cal - peaceful, scenic, restful. It is clear that Cavallo Point was thoughtfully created by architects and designers who really wanted to maintain the integrity and natural beauty. The tricky part is that the price point is high - so high that Cavallo Point is a swing and miss when it comes to service. From the housekeeping, who leaves dirty dishes in our room all day, to the bartender and front desk whose favorite answer is "no" while appearing extremely annoyed by your presence, to the room service which was a complete disaster. The food is not exceptional (especially at these prices), which was surprising since it is right next door to the one of the best food cities in the country. Despite the overall disappointment with the staff, and the rather blah food - we would still give this place 4 out of 5 stars - because really the natural beauty is unparalleled natural beauty and the clear thought and planning that went into the design of this place. Too bad the current management is not as thoughtful in their hiring of the front staff (PS - the maintenance staff is superb and keeps the grounds impeccable).

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank IngridKatz
Dear Valued Guest,

I appreciate your feedback and am very sorry to hear about your experience during your stay.

I have relayed your comments to my management team for further review and improvement.

I hope you do choose to visit us again in the near future and am happy to answer any further questions you may have.

Please contact me at euan@cavallopoint.com if I can ever be of any assistance.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

The staff here is as good as you will encounter anywhere. The wine and cheeses in the afternoon, walks, yoga, spa, and the views make this preferable to staying in SF. The restaurant is excellent for breastfast, lunch, and dinner. It's hard to leave even for a short walk or bike ride to Sausalito. And Sausalito is incredible. I've been to SF and its great but I think I'm sold this is a better few days and a lot more relaxing. The packages are great value. Be ready for some healthy walking our riding since that's what most people are doing, locals and guests too.

The great old houses are fun and a wonderful choice for couples, small, and large groups.

Another phenomenal recommendation from Charles at Hurley Travel Portland, ME.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank glbltravl
Dear Valued Guest,

We sincerely appreciate your compliments-I will be certain to share your kind words with our staff!

Please do come visit us again very soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed at Cavallo Point as part of a retreat for my SO's company. We stayed in the contemporary suites. They were just the right size for a few nights and were beautifully furnished. The grounds themselves have a certain rustic and classic beauty. I am not sure this needs to be said, but yes the views of San Francisco, the bay and the bridge are breathtaking.

What really made our stay was the exceptional service of the staff at Cavallo Point. After coming back from dinner the first night, one of the front of house staff was the only person to notice that my SO had previously been wearing a hat and did not return from dinner with one! He was able to rush back to the restaurant to recover both his hat and his sunglasses.

During this trip I had also come down with a cold. At 10pm we went to the lobby to see where we could buy some cough drops. The front desk called security to open up the on site shop (which was closed) to procure some for us. The security guard took pity on me and offered me some of the tea she PERSONALLY had left over from a cold. She hand delivered this tea to us after giving us a ride back to our room. Unbelievable! What a saint!

Lastly, the food was amazing.

Wha a fantastic group of people! I will not quickly forget this experience. I would recommend this place again and again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind compliments!

We hope to welcome you back very soon.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

It was a great surprise, we ended there cause the W had no more place (we were in downtown) and it was amazing! the houses are so cozy you feel like in another country, more like a NAPA vibe. Perfect for a romantic getaway or a weekend out of the city. There are plenty of activities like yoga for free which was super and some coffee in the morning and walks. The pool is amazing. Though its not children friendly the spa and pool it is really near the bay area discovery museum which is my favorite place to take my toddler. The restaurant is great also. we actually returned we loved it

Room Tip: if you have kids take them to the bay area museum !
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
CavalloGM, General Manager at Cavallo Point, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your compliments!

We hope to welcome you back for another visit very soon.

United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

A friend is getting married at Cavallo Point in about 6 months and she wanted to test out the accommodations. So we stayed for 1 night and I have mixed feelings about this place.

Here's the great news:
The staff was warm and helpful. The grounds were beautiful. The buildings had lots of character and charm. Sitting in a rocking chair in the sun while staring out at the view, was memorable. The Spa was wonderful. I especially loved the 'Meditation Pool'. The temperature was perfect and felt like I was in a big bath. I also had an hour massage with Shawn and it was the best 1 hour massage I've ever had. And the food was delicious.

Here's the not-as-great news:
We stayed in a 'Contemporary' room. The view was wonderful. The room itself felt like it needed a little extra updating. I probably would have preferred to stay in an upper level room for more privacy. And unfortunately we had a few issues. The TV didn't work properly and we also didn't have hot water in the morning. Both issues were fixed relatively quickly, but we expected more from a luxury hotel.

Aside from those issues, I didn't want to leave. So, for that reason, I look forward to returning!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

We sincerely appreciate your feedback and compliments.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you had mentioned and have forwarded on your comments to our management team to prevent any inconveniences in the future.

We hope to welcome you back very soon!

Euan Taylor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sausalito
Hotel Sausalito
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,912 reviews
The Lodge at Tiburon
#2 of 2 in Tiburon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,312 reviews

Been to Cavallo Point? Share your experiences!