“Very Comfortable stay at Cavallo Point”
Review of Cavallo Point

Cavallo Point
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Sausalito
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 17 August 2010

This was our second stay at Cavallo Point - a wonderful experience once again. Stayed in a contemporary room this time and loved the view! Dinner at the restaurant was delicious, the service excellent.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 August 2010

One of best resort I have staid at in a long time with fantastic staff!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2010

We just got back from staying at Cavallo Point. It exceeded our expectations. The location is breathtaking, service is wonderful and no detail is left unturned. We stayed in one of the modern rooms and they were very, very clean, and well appointed. The staff at the hotel was always very nice and they had free tea and coffee every morning in the lobby along with croissants and muffins. Beautiful little art gallery and spa. We will definitely come and stay again.
The only think I think it could use is perhaps another type of cafe/restaurant. The bar room "small plates" were really great, but a nice offering of sandwiches and such would be a nice addition, especially traveling with kids.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2010

Before I stepped foot on the property, my plans changed and it was necessary for me to change my reservations. From the phone conversations to the bellmen I had to work with, I have not one complaint. The staff was amazingly accommodating to my needs. In fact, one of the bellman made the suggestion that I take a look at multiple rooms to find the exact room I was looking for...The desk staff was accomodating and worked within my budget. Considering my apparent 'fickle' nature as to what I was looking for...not one person got rude or curt, but instead, each person took time to listen to my needs and did their best to accomodate me. Yes, I did finally find the perfect room! I am only writing this review because I did read a few negative reviews on Tripadvisor and was very hesitant to come to this property. I am sorry I read the reviews. I have found my experience, thus far, to be quite the opposite of everything that I read. I would only hope that others who decide to experience the wonder of this historically significant establishment, will have even half the experience that I have had so far.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 9 August 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at Cavello Point to celebrate his birthday and we were not disappointed.

Location - The proximity to SF and the Golden Gate Bridge was very desirable and it was an easy drive into downtown (and charming) Sausalito. I found the grounds, the bar, the restaurant and the rooms to be beautiful. We stayed in the newer, more modern rooms which were clean with an upscale decor. Our initial room overlooked the back of a building and its roof top - one call to the front desk to inquire about availability of better views and we were promptly moved to a "bridge view" room.

Service - Although we did have to call and request cleaning of our room late the next day, it was tended to promptly. In addition, every single service person - from check in to room relocation to the restaurant staff were incredibly attentive to the fact that we were celebrating a birthday. The restaurant, in particular, provided exceptional service - every time I got up from my seat I was asked how they could assist me. There was one snafu upon going to the bar after dinner on Saturday evening when we had trouble getting served but once we commented on the fact, we were appropriately cared for. We were also constantly offered rides from various personnel as we walked the property (the weather was cold and blustery) - all in all, the staff were very friendly.

Value - My boyfriend booked on Jetsetter and received an excellent rate for the quality of the rooms. The food at both the bar and the restaurant was delicious (the fried chicken at the bar was to die for) - - yes, the portions are small but the quality and presentation were spectacular. The food/beverage is a bit overpriced but, frankly, I expect that when in the SF area and, particularly, when staying at a lodge/resort.

I would recommend to anyone and would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Amazing location.....the best view of San Francisco you can get but in a relaxed environment. I love the city views but not the city noise and traffic. At Cavallo Point you can literally walk to SF (.8 miles to the Golden Gate Bridge walkway and then a 1.5 mile walk along the bridge brings you to Crissy Field) yet you are surrounded by trees, wild flowers, and deer.

We stayed in the new section and had a view of the bridge. Our room was spacious, and had robes, slippers, extra blankets, luxurious linens, toiletries (even ear plugs in case you don't like listening to the fog horns). Everything was perfect! We had an opportunity to tour one of the fully restored historical buildings. The room we saw seemed like a small apartment but had lots of charm.

The prices were on the high side at the spa but as a guest, you can use the facilities there for no additional fee. I appreciated not having to pay for the extras that you get charged for at many resorts (parking, daily facilities fee...). The dipping pool was small but the warm water, lounge chairs, and soft music was perfect!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2010

Someone "pinch me." The property looks like summer camp on the outside, and the Four Seasons on the inside. A summer camp tucked away at the base of the Golden Gate Bridge in a National Park, adjacent to acres of oceanfront nature preserve, the Marin Headlands. Yes, this place is hidden, and I would like to keep it in an affordable hidden gem. However, the success of this hotel supports the National Parks, which compels me to share my honest review.

*layered perfection - positive historical change, eco-friendly practices, powerful & artistic Golden Gate bridge views, dog friendly attitudes, rich organic food offerings, a zen gift shop and art gallery, a gorgeous spa, a sleek cooking school, and a Children's Discovery Museum on the adjacent property.

*unforgettable sensory experience: the smell of lavender, the sounding daytime rhythm of the bridge fog horn, the fluctuating artistic light and fog on the bridge, the luxurious amenities and professional lighting in the room, the invigorating temperature changes with hike to and away from the crisp bay breeze. I had to keep checking the bridge to see how it had changed, every few minutes, as the fog billows by it. Seemingly, the fog has not encroached into the alcove of Cavallo Point, but mysteriously dances by along the bay. This clarity has allowed picturesque viewing in sunlight from 5:30am to 9pm, and the moonlight during my stay.

The property owners spent 4 years restoring this 110 year old military site in partnership with the National Parks. I feel incredibly fortunate to be a guest at such a unique site that took such forward thinking and innovative cooperation. I hope the partnership lease lasts forever, rather than the current 58 remaining years.

Some have commented on the parking situation, but I feel this is a huge plus. My valet parking was free, since I stayed for an extended period, and the lobby is close to the room. The lack of cars added to the safety and serenity of my stay, and the cars did not disturb the deer that I saw on a daily basis.

To think that a warzone has evolved into an inspirational eco-resort does give me great hope for mankind. I will be back, as this beautiful place that sits at the top of my list for location, luxury and a lifetime memory!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sausalito
The Lodge at Tiburon
Fisherman’s Wharf
Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Waters Edge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Tiburon

Been to Cavallo Point? Share your experiences!