“Best View of the Golden Gate Bridge”
Review of Cavallo Point

Cavallo Point
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Sausalito
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Maui, Hawaii
“Best View of the Golden Gate Bridge”
Reviewed 22 October 2010

Recently visited this fine lodge nestled near the north side of the famous Golden Gate Bridge. It delivered above and beyond what I could have expected with its service, location, hospitality and accommodations! Wished I could have stayed more than one night. Oh well, it gives me a reason to return again in the near future!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Korean first
Oakland, California
Reviewed 20 October 2010

This is just outright a beautiful place, full of nature and history. The location of Cavallo Point is stellar and unique - there can be no disagreement about that. The Golden Gate Bridge is just a stone's throw away, Sausalito is just minutes away, hiking trails are all around, and you just feel like you are getting a classic Bay Area experience. There's so many things that I loved about my stay here with my hubby, but which are of course subjective to your own personal taste and depending on your expectations.

Service: When we arrived, it was well before the stated check-in time, but we just wanted to get a feel for the property even if our room wasn't ready. Of course we were very pleased that our room was ready. The front reception was very friendly and helpful in pointing out the locations of our room, the spa, and other hotel facilities. She also gave us little flashlights on keychains, I guess because the property gets dark at night and you do need to go to different buildings to get around to different areas of the property. We didn't need them, and they were pretty flimsy anyhow, but it was a nice touch. We didn't notice any bellmen or valets at the reception building when we arrived and checked in, although the front reception did state they would be there soon - it may have been because we were there rather early. We were staying in one of the historic rooms, for which the front reception did let us know that there was self-parking available, and we preferred that anyhow - and found that you could very easily park very close to your building/room, which was more convenient for us than valet. Check-out was similarly friendly and efficient, and we experienced no wait/line for either check-in or check-out. Maid service was fine, there is turn-down service that does wait until you leave you room. In comparison to my experiences with other 5-star rated hotels, yes, there are differences. In some places, all staff know your name and greet you everywhere you go, and you do feel like your needs are met before you even know what needs you have. The service approach at Cavallo Point is more relaxed, I think they are there when you need them but not intrusive.

Rooms and room amenities: We had a historic suite - it was beautiful. I was debating whether to go with the contemporary styled rooms versus the historic, and am so glad we chose the historic this time. Although you can tell that the property is a restoration one rather than something completely brand new, we loved all the architectural details. Room styling is exactly as it should be in this location/style of hotel I think, rustic but elegant. Something elaborate and ornate would have been crazy for the ambiance of the place, there is a more craftsman feel in the historic rooms. Good closet space, loved the gas fireplace, plenty of light from the windows, bathroom had a great tub and separate shower. We had plenty of towels, which were refreshed at turn-down, but they were quite rough. I had to feel through the bath towels to feel which one was the least crunchy. There was no television the the bedroom, but a nice flat screen in the living room area, to which we fell promptly asleep to after 15 minutes of watching it. Point is - we were not there to watch TV (of course my hubby always wants a nice TV whether he watches it or not, go figure). There weren't any awesome views from our room, as we were faced to the back towards the wooded area, which still was nice and peaceful. It didn't seem like the front of the buildings with the historic rooms had such a fabulous view either, as they are placed lower on the hotel property, and that may be a reason to check out the contemporary rooms that are located a bit higher and in better position for a view, which we may try next time we stay, but I still think the historic rooms are not only luxurious but have character and take me to another place and time. Bathroom amenities will be a point of contention - I admit, I LOVE hotel bathroom amenities - lotions, shampoos, you name it. Shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel are available in a large stainless-steel dispenser apparatus in the shower area, while lotion and soap are available in their normal cute separate little bottles and containers. They are all delicious with a lemon-y scent, made with local artisans, and high-quality, including the shampoo, conditioner, and bath gel in dispensers. Here's a tip, you can take the dispensers out of the holder in the shower if you need to use it in the bathtub or whatever (shower gel makes a nice bubble bath if you didn't bring any). There is a small fridge (no mini bar), with a brita pitcher, and coffee and tea.

Restaurant and food: We ate at Farley's the first night and Murray's Circle the next. The food at both were amazing, we were very pleased at both, but since we are small plates type of people, Farley's was fantastic. For those who are interested, there are free pastries, coffee, and such at at the registration desk in the morning.

Other amenities: We only used the spa for the meditation pool and steam room - so can't speak about the services. However, the spa area was peaceful, and good for reading. One of my favorite things we did was the guided hike - there's always a risk of not enjoying a group experience with strangers, but we found the company enjoyable and engaging,. The hike leader was the activities manager for the property, and was just all around great - knew about the trails in the area, taught us about the fort baker restoration, and took us on a really beautiful hike - we were originally supposed to go on the coastal trail, but went down to a beautiful cove right under the Golden Gate Bridge instead - it was amazing!

All in all a beautiful, luxury-rustic, experience.

Sacramento, California
Reviewed 12 October 2010

The hotel is in an excellent location with a beautiful view of the bay and the Golden Gate Bridge. The hotel, however, is not worth the money in terms of quality or service. Driving up to check-in was hectic and set the tone for our entire stay. The entire length of curbside parking leading up to the check-in building was full, leaving arriving guest the choice of either parking down the street or double parking. The hotel does offers valet service, which is sorta silly, given that most all rooms (at least in the historic buildings) provide a parking space for your vehicle at or near the building. You end up driving to the building and unloading your luggage yourself. Check-in was rushed and the desk person didn't explain the property amenities or even ask if there was anything we may need upon check in (bell service, valet, housekeeping, dinner reservations, etc.).

After getting back into the vehicle, we drove down the long street to the building farthest away from the main hotel building. When we booked the reservation, we asked to be placed on the first floor given we were coming with our toddler and baby. At the time of booking, I also left two messages with housekeeping (I never received a return phone call the first time) to make sure the room would be “baby/toddler proofed” and that a crib, not a pack-n-play, would be ready and in our room upon check-in. Anyone traveling with young children knows you have to plan ahead. I was assured all would be set up upon check-in. As we requested, the room was on the first floor, however, the reservation agent failed to mention all the stairs involved just to reach the first floor. The front entrance has a long flight of stairs, but the back entrance of the buildings has only a few. Either way, the hotel rooms are not ADA compliant or stroller or luggage friendly. The crib was in the room and set up nicely, however, the room was not “baby proofed”. There were lots of open outlet sockets just waiting for my two year old to try out, as well as other safety issues. I called once when we arrived to ask for a bellman to unload the car and then called two minutes later to ask for outlet plugs from housekeeping. This is where it got ugly. I spoke to “Molly” when I called for bell service, then spoke to “Molly” again about the baby proofing. As I said who we were and what room number we were in, she actually, in a very loud and purposeful way “sighed” as if I were bothering her. It begged the question … “Molly, am I bothering you?” She was defensive, of course, and proceeded to tell me how busy there were at the front desk checking in new guests instead of apologizing and reassuring me that the safety of my children was, at the moment at least, important. Fearing she was the type of person to simply ignore my request, I called back and asked for the manager on duty who was somewhat apologetic, but who still seemed too busy to reassure me. When housekeeping finally arrived, the pilot light on the fireplace and outlet plugs were provided. It took almost an hour for a bellman to arrive and unload our luggage.

Other thoughts on the room itself: only two pillows on the king size bed and no extra pillows or blanket in the room itself; only one t.v. in the sitting room, no t.v. in the bedroom; no bottled water, just a Britta water pitcher in the mini fridge (for $350+ a night, I don’t do community water); tissue holders with no tissue boxes; no air conditioning and no screens on the windows; a ceiling fan over the bed that rattled all night; downstairs room is near front building entrance so you hear other guests coming in and out, as well as, guests walking along side of the bathroom windows; sparse, and I mean sparse, toiletries and bath towels; and an all-in-one, rusty, stainless steel shampoo/conditioner/body soap dispenser in the shower.

Other thoughts on dining: Fine dining restaurant was exceptional in service, taste and quality of food and presentation. I thought the dishes were a bit over the top in terms of trying too hard with ingredients (popcorn in soup). In room dining (check out day breakfast) was in a word … terrible. How can you mess up breakfast? It goes back to the “trying too hard” comment from dinner.

Other thoughts: If going to Cavallo Point to take the kids to the Bay Area Discovery Museum, don't. The hotel does not offer tickets or even discount tickets of any kind, and the museum itself was just okay.

I get the whole “eco friendly hotel thing” but do they consider the amount of gas they burn using all the golf carts to wheel guests and service personnel up and down the hotel property all day, every day? The bellman at check out loaded up the golf cart with our luggage and baby gear, then drove ½ a mile to get to our car that was parked directly behind the building. We’ve stayed in many high end hotels, but have usually always got what we paid for … outstanding service, quality and comfortable amenities, which always include at least a bottle of water and that extra pillow. I get the whole “let’s turn this former base housing into a fancy hotel by the iconic bridge idea”, but in reality, you’re paying for glorified army living packaged in “eco-friendly” wrapping that actually amounts to cheap hotel investors who put as much money into the hotel landscaping (not worth the time to type out my thoughts on that issue) and paying for competent and decent front desk staff/management, as they do into the garage-sale furnished hotel accommodations.

Our recommendation, skip Cavallo Point and spend the money on a standard room at the San Francisco Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons and see what how real hotel service is done (and done well).

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
10 Thank Voyagechiches
eclairs8, Executive Office at Cavallo Point, responded to this review, 23 March 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

I truly appreciate the comments you had shared regarding your stay at Cavallo Point Lodge. The entire staff on property is dedicated to providing extraordinary experiences for all guests; therefore, your feedback is crucial in helping us maintain our high standards.

I am truly sorry to hear that your visit here fell below your expectations. We are currently reviewing and updating our procedures to increase our response time to guest requests, as well as looking into providing improvements to our existing amenities.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your observations. We are truly appreciative of your candor and will be sharing them with the appropriate managers to be addressed.

Best Regards,

Christine Hoang
Executive Assistant
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Valets were super helpful, our room was close to self-parking so we did not need to use the golf carts. Check-in efficient despite a glitch over amended Expedia reservation, we were in the downstairs part of one of the classic wooden buildings, Yes, some noise from above as reported by other revieweres but understandable and ear plugs hepfully provided, The room was nicely appointed and clean as well as spacious. Lovely walks nearby with views beneath the fog of the city and bay. Both the bar and restaurant were excellent, great ambience and service, Food portions were small but that was explained and quality was higfh, I would recommend to choose the historic structures, the new-build looked out of place.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Livermore, California
Reviewed 4 October 2010

Beautiful accommodations, great location, friendly staff. I got the "date night" package for my husband's birthday and we totally enjoyed it. Murray Circle's food was out of this world...even if you don't want to stay here, you "must" try the restuarant...Caramel Creme Bulee was to die for! Murray Circle could use a little renovation however...it's a bit old and stuffy and the ambiance didn't go with the fresh and artfull food that's produced there. Our room was clean and very nice (okay view). Oh and be aware of the park fee...it's pretty stiff! Over all...it was wonderful. :)

California
Reviewed 28 September 2010

This was a one night getaway and I left feeling SO relaxed! The King Junior Suite with Golden Gate View was amazing. Deep soaking tub and rain shower combo, fireplace and views which were amazing! The bed was very comfortable. Dinner at the Bar was excellent and the female bartender was great at her job! Excellent sense of timing, great suggestions and made the evening pure bliss. Josh at the front desk and Nick at the Bell Desk go out of their way to make your stay the best it can be. The Spa is beautiful. I used the steam sauna there but it looks like a great place to spend a few hours. They have high tea on Saturday and Sunday. I can't say enough about Cavallo Point and I plan to become a regular here! Thank you for an amazing time!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed 19 September 2010

The place was great but, the fog horns kept us awake all but 2 hours thru the night. Fog and San Francisco go hand and hand so I guess this was a fair statement. I guess because of just this one problem I would not recommend this place. Sleep is important on vacation.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank belvugrl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sausalito
Hotel Sausalito
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,008 reviews
The Lodge at Tiburon
#2 of 2 in Tiburon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,336 reviews

Been to Cavallo Point? Share your experiences!