Cavallo Point
US$320
US$476
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
Waters Edge Hotel(Tiburon)(Great Value!)
US$339
US$325
  • Breakfast included
The Lodge at Tiburon(Tiburon)(Great Value!)
US$293
US$291
Tamalpais Motel(Mill Valley)
US$120
US$124
The Inn Above Tide(Sausalito)
1,056 results
All reviewsmurray circlefarley barthe golden gate bridgefort bakerhistoric roomsmeditation poolmilitary basegolf cartfront porchcooking schoolrocking chairsking suitesan franciscoparade groundofficers quartersdiscovery museumcooking class
Reviewed 29 October 2010

Beautiful setting.. terrible room and service. Expected an upgrade according to the package we purchased but had to settle for a room overlooking the parking lot wedged between two outside walls. Claustrophobic and HOT. When we asked to move, they insisted they had nothing else available. Funny, the suite downstairs remained vacant the two nights we were there. Our room had no extras and I HATED the wall mounted shampoo and body wash in the shower.... We watched Game 1 of the World Series in Farley's Bar which was the only bright spot during our stay, thanks to our amazing waiter, Sebastian. If you want "green", try Cantanoa on the central coast!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank brewgus
eclairs8, Executive Office at Cavallo Point, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your November stay at Cavallo Point Lodge.

We are disappointed to hear that you were not pleased with your stay and understand that there was some miscommunication regarding the differences between the view and non-view rooms. As a result of your comments, we have updated the classification of each of our guest rooms to prevent any future misunderstandings and ambiguity in our verbal/written explanations. In regards to the wall mounted shower amenities, we are also working diligently on providing alternative dispensing methods that will honor our green initiatives without inconveniencing guests.

Thank you again for providing us with your feedback and we hope to have you back at the property for a visit in the near future.

Best Regards,

Christine Hoang
Executive Assistant

Reviewed 25 October 2010

We stayed at Cavallo Point for five nights. We stayed in a contemporary room overlooking the bridge. It rained and it was foggy and we loved it. Fog horns were a non issue. We had drinks and snacks at the bar and it was cozy, comfortable and tasty. We had no trouble with valet, toiletries or towels. We did ask for extra pillows and soap but they were provided immediately. I did not like that they tied up $250 per day for incidentals and not inform us, but we'll know better next time.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank newsman06
Reviewed 22 October 2010

My daughter, dog and I stayed just yesterday. We chose a historic room with a sitting area, in a building over 100 years old. There is a half partition between the bedroom and living area, so my daughter could go to sleep while I stayed up later watching TV or reading. We found the bed comfortable but wished there were extra pillows, as there were only two available. The bathroom was pretty large in comparison to the room, was very clean and well appointed. I liked some of the smaller touches, like the Bonny Doon toiletries, a very local and very small handmade bath products company. I also liked the art in the rooms and throughout the main building. I could not use the spa or the yoga class since my daughter is 8 and could not join me.
We had dinner at the Farley bar since we wanted to watch the NCLS game (Go Giants!). Dinner was very good. I've eaten at Murray Circle a few times and recommend it as well. We ordered a room service breakfast using the room service menu that was in our room. When the breakfast came, I noticed that some of the items we ordered were priced a dollar or two higher than was listed on the menu. Not a huge deal, but it resulted in an extra $7 to our breakfast tab. The food was good though.
They do accept dogs so we brought our labrador. I liked the doggie gift bag at check in, containing dog treats, a little dog food, and maps of hiking trails nearby and do's and don'ts of leash areas. In the room there was a dog bed and two steel bowls for food and water. While all this is appreciated, I still feel the $75 charge for pets is steep. We had brought all the above with us anyways.
This hotel is located near lots of hiking and the Golden Gate bridge. It is not in the town of Sausalito or within close walking distance, so you must drive to any other places to eat. We live locally and decided spur of the moment to stay while my husband was on a long business trip. We self parked because I've been to Fort Baker about 50 times and didn't feel like paying suddenly because we were sleeping there was necessary. The hotel served our purposes well and we would go back and stay again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 October 2010

Recently visited this fine lodge nestled near the north side of the famous Golden Gate Bridge. It delivered above and beyond what I could have expected with its service, location, hospitality and accommodations! Wished I could have stayed more than one night. Oh well, it gives me a reason to return again in the near future!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2010

This is just outright a beautiful place, full of nature and history. The location of Cavallo Point is stellar and unique - there can be no disagreement about that. The Golden Gate Bridge is just a stone's throw away, Sausalito is just minutes away, hiking trails are all around, and you just feel like you are getting a classic Bay Area experience. There's so many things that I loved about my stay here with my hubby, but which are of course subjective to your own personal taste and depending on your expectations.

Service: When we arrived, it was well before the stated check-in time, but we just wanted to get a feel for the property even if our room wasn't ready. Of course we were very pleased that our room was ready. The front reception was very friendly and helpful in pointing out the locations of our room, the spa, and other hotel facilities. She also gave us little flashlights on keychains, I guess because the property gets dark at night and you do need to go to different buildings to get around to different areas of the property. We didn't need them, and they were pretty flimsy anyhow, but it was a nice touch. We didn't notice any bellmen or valets at the reception building when we arrived and checked in, although the front reception did state they would be there soon - it may have been because we were there rather early. We were staying in one of the historic rooms, for which the front reception did let us know that there was self-parking available, and we preferred that anyhow - and found that you could very easily park very close to your building/room, which was more convenient for us than valet. Check-out was similarly friendly and efficient, and we experienced no wait/line for either check-in or check-out. Maid service was fine, there is turn-down service that does wait until you leave you room. In comparison to my experiences with other 5-star rated hotels, yes, there are differences. In some places, all staff know your name and greet you everywhere you go, and you do feel like your needs are met before you even know what needs you have. The service approach at Cavallo Point is more relaxed, I think they are there when you need them but not intrusive.

Rooms and room amenities: We had a historic suite - it was beautiful. I was debating whether to go with the contemporary styled rooms versus the historic, and am so glad we chose the historic this time. Although you can tell that the property is a restoration one rather than something completely brand new, we loved all the architectural details. Room styling is exactly as it should be in this location/style of hotel I think, rustic but elegant. Something elaborate and ornate would have been crazy for the ambiance of the place, there is a more craftsman feel in the historic rooms. Good closet space, loved the gas fireplace, plenty of light from the windows, bathroom had a great tub and separate shower. We had plenty of towels, which were refreshed at turn-down, but they were quite rough. I had to feel through the bath towels to feel which one was the least crunchy. There was no television the the bedroom, but a nice flat screen in the living room area, to which we fell promptly asleep to after 15 minutes of watching it. Point is - we were not there to watch TV (of course my hubby always wants a nice TV whether he watches it or not, go figure). There weren't any awesome views from our room, as we were faced to the back towards the wooded area, which still was nice and peaceful. It didn't seem like the front of the buildings with the historic rooms had such a fabulous view either, as they are placed lower on the hotel property, and that may be a reason to check out the contemporary rooms that are located a bit higher and in better position for a view, which we may try next time we stay, but I still think the historic rooms are not only luxurious but have character and take me to another place and time. Bathroom amenities will be a point of contention - I admit, I LOVE hotel bathroom amenities - lotions, shampoos, you name it. Shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel are available in a large stainless-steel dispenser apparatus in the shower area, while lotion and soap are available in their normal cute separate little bottles and containers. They are all delicious with a lemon-y scent, made with local artisans, and high-quality, including the shampoo, conditioner, and bath gel in dispensers. Here's a tip, you can take the dispensers out of the holder in the shower if you need to use it in the bathtub or whatever (shower gel makes a nice bubble bath if you didn't bring any). There is a small fridge (no mini bar), with a brita pitcher, and coffee and tea.

Restaurant and food: We ate at Farley's the first night and Murray's Circle the next. The food at both were amazing, we were very pleased at both, but since we are small plates type of people, Farley's was fantastic. For those who are interested, there are free pastries, coffee, and such at at the registration desk in the morning.

Other amenities: We only used the spa for the meditation pool and steam room - so can't speak about the services. However, the spa area was peaceful, and good for reading. One of my favorite things we did was the guided hike - there's always a risk of not enjoying a group experience with strangers, but we found the company enjoyable and engaging,. The hike leader was the activities manager for the property, and was just all around great - knew about the trails in the area, taught us about the fort baker restoration, and took us on a really beautiful hike - we were originally supposed to go on the coastal trail, but went down to a beautiful cove right under the Golden Gate Bridge instead - it was amazing!

All in all a beautiful, luxury-rustic, experience.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple