“Very Good... not as good as it was.”
Review of Sushi Ran

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Turney & Pine
Ogasawara-shoto, Japan
“Very Good... not as good as it was.”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I hadn't been to Sushi Ran in over a decade. When I lived in the City, I would regularly drive over for what I always rated a 5 star experience. From the traditional to the inventive, they nailed some beautiful balance and quality.

Now that I've lived in Japan for 12 years, I was excited to go back and have some of their more progressive items that you simply can't get in Japan.

This recent experience was, if only mild, a disappointment. The sashimi was mostly of very high quality. Worthy of a top place in Tokyo. But the non-traditional items (soft shell crab roll, crunch and shrimp tempura with asparagus were just tired-tasting. Maybe because it was lunch and things were more prepped or something... but it just didn't 'pop'.

• Visited November 2013

Denton, Texas
“The Best Sushi”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Plain and simple: If you are looking for sushi, wide variety, perfectly prepared and swiftly served this is the place. Save room for the ginger ice cream, if you can.

• Visited November 2013
San Francisco
“Best Sushi, Great Service, Comfortable...”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Really good sushi and more and beautifully presented food. Our favorite spot for special occasions. The staff is very accommodating, we are fussy about our wine for which they provided corkage, and reserved a special table.

Visited January 2013
“Worth the fare over the bridge!”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Came here on a business trip at the advice of a friend familiar with the restaurant. I sat at the sushi bar by myself across from a great sushi chef. I started with a chef lead sushi sampler. 7 pieces all made one at a time, then beautifully presented with an explanation of origin and technique of preparation. So so so good. Wine list was phenomenal, had a sake tasting with the owner. After reflecting on the awesome sushi I ordered the grill squid entree, (after a recent trip to costa rica I have learned never to pass up squid). No surprise the entree was excellent, I washed it down with another glass of wine and ended my meal with a creamy scallop roll (I was full, but i wanted to get my fill of this place).
The location is quaint and modern, a short walk from the ferry landing in Sausalito. Service was perfect and friendly. Only downside was the ferry ride and cab fare to and from San Francisco. But I will not hesitate at another opportunity to go.

• Visited October 2013
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“A new sushi experience”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

On my recent anniversary trip, I'll admit it, I'd tried three sushi places in San Francisco and still felt I'd landed in places that weren't special or just plain bad, so on my arrival to Sausalito I asked my concierge to please, please, please recommend a good sushi place... with a Cheshire smile he said, well less than two blocks away is one of the top ten sushi places in the US.

Every roll, every nigiri, every drink and every dish was cooked to perfection so you felt the flavor of the fish yet new culinary experiences. Even the miso soup was impressive.

Starters, miso soup: possibly the best miso I've ever had.

Nigiris:

Uni (sea urchin).... my lord... just heaven in sushi
Tako (octopus): very fresh and tasty
Katsuo (lightly cherrywood smoked bonito)... also very, very, VERY nice.

Maki: Can't find on the menu but it had fig and was just so wonderfully balanced.

Drinks: pineapple saketini (7/10), sake mojito (8/10), another drink I can't find on the menu which tasted a little like an apple saketini (10/10)

Plates:

Hawaiian Ahi Poke... so delicious...

Local albacore crudo....... by far one of the best dishes of our entire anniversary trip. I had a ratatouille moment where I had to close my eyes and just enjoy the flavors..... simply amazing and if you try one dish in an entire trip to Sausalito.... GO there and HAVE this.

Dessert sampler: Small bites, perfect to share for two if you're full. Chocolate hazelnut mousse, very good, a rice bread pudding pretty good though my wife didn't love, Passion fruit Gelato, amazing, Mascarpone ice cream, chocolate, and like a cinnamony sponge cake.... great on its own or with the mascarpone ice cream or gellato.

Great service, great pacing, good atmosphere... AMAZING food.

HIGHLY recommended for a nice night out to dinner, friends or business.

• Visited October 2013