“Great hotel, staff and view”

Casa Madrona Hotel and Spa
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Sausalito
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 26 August 2011

This was one of the one night hotels me and my husband stayed in on our road trip of the west coast. Room, staff and view were all great. Price reasonable, room reasonably big and hotel in the centre of the Sausalito. No complaints!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 August 2011

Recently did a 6 day 3 hotel stay in California. It was suggested i stay at the Madrona. From the moment i walked in I was quite surprised by the warmth of each and every staff member i encountered. In fact I was amazed that after having been there for a short time I was addressed by my name by the staff. The rooms were beautiful and spacious. I worked out in their gym twice and found it to be excellant. I can assure you that if I return to Sausalito (I live in Boston) I will return to the Madrona.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We were upgraded to a harbour view room and enjoyed every second of it! The room was spacious and luxuriously appointed with huge windows providing an excellent view of the harbour and bay; the balcony was much appreciated also, both for sitting and enjoying the view and for people watching; the hotel is in a central and very convenient location with shops, bars and restaurants all at hand. The hotel's own toiletries were generously provided in full-sized dispensers and were of good quality. Everything we wanted was in the room; wine glasses, umbrella, fridge and a gorgeous chaise lounge from which to enjoy the view. The valet parking worked really well and we thought it a fair price for the location and convenience. All the staff were friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: We were originally shown a courtyard room, which had a fireplace but looked out onto a dingy stairwe...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2011

This is a wonderfully decorated hotel in the heart of Sausalito. Everything from the beautiful, spacious rooms to the great balcony with amazing views was perfect. The rooms were modern but the hotel maintained a great historic feel. The staff was very friendly and helpful from check-in to check-out. The location is excellent with easy, walking access to the waterfront, shops, and restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2011

My boyfriend and I went to Sausalito for a weekend and could not have picked a better place than the Casa Madrona. The location was supreme and everyone was super friendly. We were only there for a weekend, but it was so good that I can only hope to come back some day!
When we checked in, the concierge was super friendly and the valets helped with our luggage up the steps to our room. We had a room 2 floors above street level which was originally disarming, but you never would have guessed since it was perfectly quiet all day and through the night! Anyway- the room was breathtaking- everything has apparently been renovated, as the bed was super comfortable, the bathroom was spotless and the shower was fabulous. The room had panoramic views of the SF bay and from out on our private deck (!!) we could see the city in the distance. My BF and I enjoyed a bottle of wine on the deck and watched the sunset before dinner, which was such a great way to unwind after a long week. We headed to a late dinner in Mill Valley and when we came back we turned on the fireplace in our room, because, well- there was a fireplace IN OUR ROOM! Granted it wasn't cold at all in the middle of July, but we just had to try it- and it worked perfectly! Simple pleasures, right?

In the morning the bf went to the renovated gym where he watched Wimbledon (perfect for him), where I explored Sausalito and discovered a cute coffee shop to enjoy my morning chai and french toast (perfect for me!). After walking around Sausalito for a bit we took a short day excursion to SF on the ferry, which was literally across the street from the hotel.

All in all the weekend was perfect; I only wish I had more time (maybe for a facial at the new spa?). The employees were helpful and genuine, the location was unbeatable, and the amenities were perfection. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: The rooms that snake up the right of the hotel are perfection!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stefanie S
Reviewed 11 August 2011

I always check tripadvisor before booking hotels and was impressed by the reviews for Casa Madrona. We did book a lower room category because that was all that was available at the time. We requested early check in because we were attending a wedding and needed to shower and get ready before the ceremony. When we arrived, our room was not ready, so we dropped our bags and went out to explore the area. The hotel is very well located in Sausalito. When we returned, our room was still not ready. We were told that it was not check in time yet, and I explained that we had requested early check in, and although it is not guaranteed, we were told it shouldn't be an issue. The front desk called to housekeeping, and we were told that they would call us when the room was available.

By the time we were called, we didn't have a lot of time to get ready before the ceremony. When we arrived at our room, it was awful. The carpet was filthy and stained, the walls were dirty, the bathroom was in desperate need of a remodel. I know we booked a lower room category, but this room was completely unacceptable. Normally, I would go down and request a new room, but at this point, we were very pressed for time to get to the wedding. Fortunately, we were only there for one night, but the price we paid was extremely high for a room of such poor quality.

When we arrived back at the hotel that evening, we realized that there was yet another issue with the hotel - absolutely no sound proofing. You can hear everything from the hallway and rooms next door. Needless to say, we didn't get much sleep, and couldn't wait to get out of there the next morning. As we checked out, I was asked about my stay. I said it was okay, and they asked if there was anything they could do to improve. I said that the room was dirty and the carpet/walls were stained. He just shrugged a little and didn't offer an apology, or mention anything about the issue.

I'm sure some of the rooms at Casa Madrona are wonderful based on the reviews, unfortunately, that was not our experience. I will not stay here again, and do not recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank mmsull2
CasaMadronaHotel, General Manager at Casa Madrona Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2011

We would like to apologize for the condition of the Victorian room. Since your stay we have placed the entire Victorian Mansion Out of Order while it undergoes a complete soft goods renovation. Our intention is to preserve the history of the building while updating the rooms to include all of the modern furnishings that our guests have come to expect. We have already done this process to 15 new Hillside Cottages and are excited to have recently made these rooms available for our guests.

Reviewed 31 July 2011

Stayed at the Casa Madrona on a business trip. If you satyed here before you would not recognize the place. The new owners have done an incredible job of renovating the hotel and it is a great improvement. The location is excellent, overlooking the bay and easy walk to all shops and restaurants. The staff are a pleasure and the service could not be better.Based on location, quality etc, etc, this hotel is the best value in the Bay area, no question about it.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sausalito
Cavallo Point
Waters Edge Hotel
Waters Edge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Tiburon
Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area

Been to Casa Madrona Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!