“My stay at the Casa Madrona”

Casa Madrona Hotel and Spa
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Sausalito
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 November 2011

I am in awe of the Casa Madrona Hotel. We were with a group, and each person had an incredible view of the ocean and bay. I stayed 2 nights and 3 days. The rooms had everything a person could want in a hotel AND MORE! It had the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in with the most incredible pillows. This may not be a big deal to some, but when I go to other hotels, I'm always having to ask for more pillows to lean up against and do work on the bed, or just sleep. These pillows were unbelievable. In fact, I'm going to buy some for my own home. The comforters were thick, warm and just right. I think I got the best sleep for two nights that I've gotten in months.

My room had a wonderful flat screen TV with a hundred channels; enough lights, plugs for i-pad, cell phones & computers. The heat and air worked SO well. The coffee machine in each room was super with Starbucks coffee too.

The bathrooms were beautiful, modern, comfortable with wonderful body lotion, great soaps, space for a women's makeup and a man's shaving equip. The towels were lush. I could live there in that room for weeks and be just fine. The windows even opened so I could get fresh air after the rain storm I viewed from my beautiful bay windows. I also had a terrace if I wanted to sit outside an ready my paper...but it was too cold this trip.

The staff at the hotel were WONDERFUL. Anything I asked for they were polite....quick, and very very helpful. I didn't get a chance to go to the Spa, but I can tell you that the booklet in the room about what they offered at their Spa, was unimaginable. They offered 4 pages of spa treatments that made me want to come back and experience.

The hotel is also next to a Starbucks, shops within walking distance - and a super set of restaurants in town by walking a short distance. So relaxing.

As you can see, I thought this hotel was the best I've been in - in years. I will bring my family back with me next time.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Karen G

Reviewed 1 November 2011

I stayed four nights at Casa Madrona in October. I was impressed by the simple elegance of the rooms and delighted by the views of Richardson Bay and the sailboats in the distance. The location is fantastic. The ferry to San Francisco is a five minute walk and there are great restaurants nearby. My husband and I had organized a meeting for international guests and the feedback I received was uniformly enthusiastic.

Room Tip: There is an "historic" side and a more modern side. The more modern side with rooms that...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank avidtraveler1946
Reviewed 27 October 2011

While in the San Francisco area, my husband and I wanted to stay in an "on-the-Bay" accomodation. We were familiar with the area and Casa Madrona in Sausalito, but had not stayed there previously. Being ecomonmy minded, but also looking for a unique experience, we found a room through Trip Advisor at Casa Madrona in the Historic Mansion.
The hotel accomodations range from modern, antiseptic deluxe rooms to the funky, character-drenched historic mansion rooms. There are also a series of cottages and suites meandering up and down the hillside site.
The mansion was just that, an old mansion with tall ceilings, broad hallways, a common sitting room with fireplace and period furniture, all overlooking the bay. There was even a common veranda with a spectacular view of the Sausalito harbor and San Francisco Bay.
Our room was spacious and even included a whirlpool bathtub on a landing, up a short flight of mahagony steps. From the tiny window above the whirlpool, we could see the Bay!
The grounds of the hotel were beautiful and lush, like most of the Sausalito hills.
Many of the older hillside rooms and suites were under renovation during our stay. I understand that the Mansion is now closed for renovation. I'm sure the completed renovation will result in a more up-scale accommodation.
Casa Madrona is a unique hotel in a beautiful location.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We had a courtyard king room, and we loved it. The bathroom was huge! Totally beautiful. The bed was comfy and the lush linens were heavenly. On top of that, the fireplace added even more romance. I highly recommend this hotel. The staff is also top notch. This is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 13 October 2011

I am extremely selective when it comes to which hotels I will stay in when I travel, so it took me several days of reviewing online before I booked at Casa Madrona. More often than not, I am disappointed with products and services because my expectations are pretty high, especially when it comes to the hospitality industry. However, I couldn't have been more pleased with Casa Madrona! I usually do not post reviews, but I was so impressed with this place, that I felt it was important to offer my praises when one deserves it. The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful. The entire hotel has been remodeled, which is always nice when a hotel is savvy enough to keep up with the times and changing styles to attract quality business. My room had a large balcony that overlooked the water. It was so pleasant and the view was amazing. The shower/bathroom area was gorgeous and the goodies from the spa made me feel like a VIP. Besides the beauty of this hotel, I was most impressed with the hotel staff and upper management. They made me feel very special! I had one small issue at check-in, but it was rectified immediately and to me, that speaks volumes about the quality of this hotel and its staff. I normally would not have even mentioned the issue, but I was so thrilled with the staff and their eagerness to handle the issue (and to make my stay as pleasant and easy as possible), that it is worth mentioning so I can publicly thank the wonderful team they have in place. They truly went out of their way to make me happy! They succeeded above and beyond my expectations and this will definitely be my "go to" hotel when visiting the Bay area for business and personal trips!! Also, the Italian restaurant (Poggio) that is connected to the hotel was outstanding. I still have cravings for the oxtail stuffed ravioli. I may have to take a trip back, just for that! Thank you again for making my stay so positively memorable!!

Room Tip: Could there possibly be a bad room at this hotel? I doubt it!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank CTeeter
Reviewed 11 October 2011

The Casa Madrona was a quaint hotel in the middle of Sausilito, just minutes from San Francisco.

It was clean and the room had a gas fire place simply operated, with just a flip of a switch - that we did use.

Room Tip: Our room was separte from the main building, which did require us to go outside, but it was a great...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Part of our California "wine experience" was to take a mid week spa break in Sausalito on our way to wine country. We spent 2 nights and were not disappointed. Casa Madrona is perfectly located with many delicious restaurants, shops, and gorgeous view of the bay. We did not have a waterfront view from our room, but had a gorgeous private courtyard with a water feature that was peaceful for reading in the sunshine or having a pre dinner cocktail with the other couple we travelled with. Comfy outdoor furniture completed the relaxation. We booked a one hour massage in their newly renovated spa and Gary was my massage therapist. He was great, even wrapping my feet and lower back in warm cloths, covering my eyes with a lavender scented warm eye cover...soooo gooood. After, we drank delicious complimentary herbal tea, lemon water, indulged in healthy nuts and snacks before a steam bath and wonderful shower with all the fixings of shampoos and lotions. I continued the next few days to make use of my large deep tub in our bath to soak inn every bit of relaxation. Don't miss this little Italy by the sea.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sue d
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sausalito
Cavallo Point
Waters Edge Hotel
Waters Edge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Tiburon
Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area

Been to Casa Madrona Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!