“Great hotel to relax and enjoy the bay area”

Casa Madrona Hotel and Spa
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Sausalito
GreenLeadersGold level
“Great hotel to relax and enjoy the bay area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

My wife and I chose this hotel thanks to another hotel website that recommended Casa Madrona, and based on the reviews we read when we booked it, we were very excited and were counting down the days until our trip to northern California. The entire staff went beyond our expectations in helping us out select our room and with our luggage when we checked in. The rooms are amazing; we were in a room with a balcony view, which was fantastic. If we ever get a chance to visit the bay area again, we will definitely consider Casa Madrona as our hotel to stay in based on the guest service, cleanliness and the staff's efforts to make our stay very memorable.

Room Tip: Balcony view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Carlos H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Korean first
Sherrills Ford, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Traveling from North Carolina we did not know that there was an old and new section of the Casa Madrona. The nightly rate for the old section was not much less then the new and there was a big difference in the ambiance. Our room had a nice size bath, however, the carpeting and refrigerator were very old and need replacement.

Arriving home four days after leaving the Casa we noticed that a two way mirror was left in the bath. No on from the Casa contacted us about this item to ask if we wanted it forwarded. When we called no one knew anything about it. It was not an expensive mirror, however, the lack of customer service and honesty is noted.

If a return visit is made to Sausalito we will not be staying at the Casa Madrona.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the old section. Chose the new. The additional cost will be worth your stay.
Green Features: What they do is very nice. Would recommend that all hotels follow suit.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank John B
sietse1472, General Manager at Casa Madrona Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Congratulations on your son's recent nuptials! Thank you for taking time to share your comments regarding your recent stay.

We were very grateful for your mentioning our Green Standards. Being Green is a goal we strive towards vigorously.

I am sorry, that you were not satisfied with our customer service since we hold ourselves to the highest standards. However we are always glad for opportunities of learning and growth, so we thank you for your feedback.

Should you afford us the opportunity, we would love to welcome you back, so that you can experience all the luxury and timeless charm the Casa Madrona has to offer.

Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

My wife and I spent an enjoyable 4 days in the CMHS during June 2014. The staff were brilliant and the room was excellent, having a private balcony. I cannot comment on the attached rooms on the hillside i.e. separate from the main building. The only down about staying in California is that the parking is expensive when staying in city hotels. We solved the problem of paying $25 per day for the hotels valet parking by leaving the car on nearby parking meters overnight which were free between 1800hrs - 0900hrs. The rest of the day we were out and about or only had the need of a couple of hours paid parking in Sausalito. I would recommend staying in the area if visiting San Francisco, having stayed in the city once before. However, we were surprised to find a charge on our credit card when we returned for crossing the Golden Gate bridge each time as we hadn't ever been stopped at the toll booths. In summary a great time was had by all in the hotel and the spa looked good, although we did not avail ourselves of it. To repeat, the staff were helpful and very amicable. Excellent service.

Room Tip: Had a room at the back of the main building with a window looking out at the side with a view of San...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike-Paloma
sietse1472, General Manager at Casa Madrona Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Mike,
Thank you so much for your warm compliments! We are so pleased you enjoyed your recent stay.

We are so proud of our wonderful staff, we thank you for recognizing their devotion to the highest quality of service.

We hope to welcome you back again in teh future.

california
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

This review addresses the Spa at Casa Madrona. I've been happily going to this spa for several years now and i'm finally getting around to reviewing it. First the

GOOD: Most massage therapists have been fair to excellent. The spa is immaculate and the facilities small but quite nice. Marta, the aesthetician doing facials is excellent!

BAD: I've heard the rooms above being vacuumed on occasion (not conducive to spa music and relaxation).
Children allowed in the spa. On my most recent visit, I came out of the steam sauna in the women's locker room (thankfully wearing a towel) to find myself almost bumping into a 3-4 year old boy. The Spa clearly states no one under 16-18 for treatment but when I mentioned that there was a child in the locker room to one of the staff, I was told that his father left him with his mother (currently in the shower) because he wanted to watch "the game" and "was I bothered by it?"
20% added on gratuities. When checking out on my last visit, I was charged 20% gratuity on my services as a "convenience." I was already aware this would happen (left to my own devices I would've tipped 15-20% depending on the quality) but was stunned to find that although I had booked their advertised Coastal Mini Spa Break (a 60 minute massage and a 60 minute facial) at $189, I was charged 20% gratuity not on the package price but on the treatments as if I had booked them separately. When I asked them about this they said it was correct but I pointed out to them that nowhere on their website or during the booking process was this stated...a difference of only $5 extra dollars but annoying all the same.

Bottom line...a good spa for the day for locals but not inexpensive. Given recent issues, the spa should pull it together as there are other good spas out there.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank alohamahalo
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed here for our honeymoon, the week before we were in downtown S.F. We spent 6 nights here at the Hillside Cottage thinking that it's a 'cottage'. It looked like a newly refurbished big casa turned into an exclusive hotel merged with the spa/old hotel next door.
The first thing we noticed was the placed reeked of paint!!! It must have been -very- newly renovated, and there are a lot of weird features in the room itself. We could write an essay about it but that's alright. Lets concentrate on the good stuff.
We found that the staff are generally very accommodating. We did ask for an international charger, some local information and enquired about a wine tour. Wendy surprised us with a bottle of wine when she discovered that we were there for our honeymoon. Thanks Wendy!
All in all, what made us happy with this place is the view of the harbour and the sleep quality is much better in Sausalito than in downtown S.F.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Erie, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I recently took a trip to Sausalito with my in-laws and our 3 young children. Upon arrival, we were shown multiple rooms to make sure we would have just what we needed. This took quite a while, but the staff (Melissa?) was SO patient with us. We were given a room with a beautiful view of the water and boats. We were supplied with a pack and play for our baby, and the pull out bed was made up for our other children. When we asked the front desk for information about the area, they were more than happy to help. I had snacks delivered to the room, and when Wendy saw we had children, she ran downstairs to bring them candy bracelets. Near the end of our trip, my daughter's comfort item (stuffed bunny) went missing. We asked Wendy at the front desk if it could have gotten mixed in the laundry. She made calls to housekeeping but no one had seen it. She went to the spa and got a sea lion for my daughter to sleep with that night. The next morning as we were checking out, at least 4 different staff asked if I was the guest that had lost a stuffed bunny. Clearly, they were all aware how important it was to us that we find it. Almost a week went by after we got home with no bunny. Imagine our surprise (and my daughter's elation) when a package arrived on our doorstep with her missing bunny inside. The physical hotel was clean, charming, and had great views. But the customer service surpassed my expectations. Any staff that values the entire customer experience the way they did has my stamp of approval. THANK YOU for a lovely stay, and for returning my daughter's most prized possession!!

Room Tip: Room 401 had a bedroom and sitting room with pull out couch. The view from the balcony was beautiful
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 82Amy82
sietse1472, General Manager at Casa Madrona Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you so much for your lovely comments on your recent stay! It was wonderful to have you with us, and we are so happy to learn that your bunny made it home safely. Melissa, Wendy and whole staff are so dedicated to excellent service, and it cheers us to know that their dedication is noticed by our guests.

Again, thank you, and we hope to welcome you back soon!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

The final stop of our USA road trip. I hadn't realised when I looked on line that some if the images were of work that will be completed later this year, and don't exist at the moment. Excellent location, very helpful staff and perfect room for a family of three adults, affording privacy. The balcony overlooked the harbour, but was lacking a bit In privacy as was near a flight of stairs, directly in front, I would have preferred the room with the I overlooked balcony. It was very clean and comfortable. Valet team very efficient (24 dollars a night). The spa was very popular and I have no doubt that when the works are finished later this year this will be a stunning hotel. Very good, light breakfast at the Poggia restaurant next door included (go the bar and order!!) we sat waiting until we realised. Very friendly place.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
sietse1472, General Manager at Casa Madrona Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank your for your warm compliments. It was our sincerest pleasure to accommodate you in a room on our Victorian Hillside during your recent road trip.

Our dedicated staff has been hard at work to reach the highest service standards, and your recognition of their efforts is greatly appreciated.

Thank you also for highlighting the unique layout of our hotel. Each of our Victorian Hillside rooms features various amenities and layouts, which adds to the charm of our extraordinary property.

We hope to welcome you back on your next US adventure.

Warmest Regards,
Sietse Nabben
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sausalito
Cavallo Point
Acqua Hotel Mill Valley
Acqua Hotel Mill Valley
#1 of 5 in Mill Valley
Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area

Been to Casa Madrona Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!