FOOD POISONING ALERT November 2, 2013 (Orange County Health Dept.)
We stopped by Mahe on Saturday, November 2nd, mainly to see a band. Luckily, we scored a table in the bar and settled in at the bar, which doesn't have much seating space. Our server was Katelyn. We ate a couple of appetizers. The only one we shared was crab cakes. The crab cakes seemed a litlle on the mushy side and spread out quickly like pancakes. After eating, we left for home. 2-3 hours later we were both vomiting in unison, over-and-over. Clearly, it was a case of food poisoning. We have been sick for days.
We went to the doctor (just in case we picked up a parasite). Our physician's prognosis was "food posioning." I sent two emails to the corporate Mahe email account with the details. There was no response. Nice. I followed-up with a formal report to the Orange County Health Department in case there were other patrons who experienced similar symptoms.
The O.C. Heath Dept. Inspector sent out an inspector on 11/5/2013. The inspector found health violations at Mahe. Here are the public record details from O.C. Food Protection Services (as posted online at O.C. Environmental Health) violations:
1) Improper Warewashing/Inoperable Dishmachine
2) Unsanitary Equipment/Utensil/Linen/Plumbing
3) Improper Food Storage/Receiving
Further, to make matters worse. Here are the SHOCKING results (posted online with O.C. Health Dept.) from an inspection just days earlier on 10/15/2013 (with a mandatory follow-up inspection on 10/23/2013). Yes, the Health Inspector was there just 17 days earlier on 10/15/2013 writing up Mahe management for violations.
1) Improper Sanitizer Concentration/Method
2) Improper Warewashing/Inoperable Dishmachine
3) Shellfish Commingling/Tags/Signs
4) Improper Holding Temp of PHF (60F-120F), (50F-59F)
5) Unsanitary Equipment/Utensils/Linen/Plumbing
6) Improper Holding Temperatures of PHF
7) Lack of/Unsanitary/Condition Walls/Floors/Ceilings
8) Lack of Food Protection Manager Certificate (No certified food protection Mgr.)
I'D BE WARY OF THIS ESTABLISHMENT. THEY CLEARLY HAVE A HISTORY OF HEALTH ISSUES. CHECK O.C. HEALTH DEPT. RECORDS ONLINE. I'M SURE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS THE KIND OF FOOD (SUSHI/SEA FOOD) WHICH REQUIRES THE UTMOST CARE AND USE OF HEALTH AND SAFETY INDUSTRY STANDARDS.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.