“Sushi is great in Seal Beach”

Koi Japanese Cuisine
Ranked #5 of 97 Restaurants in Seal Beach
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Restaurant Koi is a family-owned Japanese Restaurant in Seal Beach, California. Koi has been making authentic sushi and Japanese cuisine under the same ownership for over thirty years.
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We go to Koi for as many special occasions as we can think of. Birthdays, the kids back in town, a promotion or just cause. The sushi bar is great for couples. A booth allows a larger group to interact. The fish is fresh. The hand rolls are wonderful. Prices are good for the quality. The servers are attentive.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Our very favorite sushi/sashimi restaurant. Everything is excellent! First class food, sushi chefs, and good service. Favorite locals spot.

Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

I expected more after reading all the rave reviews! We went for lunch and I had the fish carpaccio which was amazing. The seafood salad was smothered in soy sauce. I should have order the dressing on the side because I'm not a big fan of soy sauce! The spicy tuna hand roll was terrible! It was the worst hand roll I have ever had! I've had better hand rolls from my local supermarket! Very disappointing! My husband had beef teriyaki lunch special which was delicious !
We went back again because of the carpaccio ! Knowing what to order and how to order
makes all the difference. This time I again had the carpaccio and a house salad which was very good. My husband had the salmon teriyaki ( he doesn't eat sushi) , and it was cooked perfectly .
Overall the food was great , except for the hand roll.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

A truly excellent, cosy neighborhood place for sushi, tempura, etc. It doesn't get any better. We visit often. But parking can be an issue on busy evenings.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Best California roll I've ever had. It's amazing what fresh crab can do. I had the Sushi combination. Each piece was very good. It also came with miso soup and a very nice salad. They provide two different salad dressings for the salad. The combo sushi is $19.95, but worth it. My waitress was also very helpful and friendly.