“Okay for a night!”
Review of Discovery Inn

Discovery Inn
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Seaside
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night, it was one of the cheapest hotels I could find the weekend of move-in for CSUMB. It is located about 6 miles from CSUMB, taking the 1 hwy. The outside of the hotel is cute and quaint with all the flowers and bushes, but the inside of the rooms need major updating. Our toilet wasn't even really screwed down to the floor. So when you used it, it sort of move around a little. I haven't tried the shower/water pressure yet. The way the hotel sits, you would think it might be a little quite. But we can hear the roar of Fremont St. and we were located half way down the row of rooms. Our room was $129+ taxes, booked on Booking.com

• Stayed: August 2014

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We were passing through the Monterey area or our West coast road trip. We arrived late and left early. The motel was exactly what we needed - spacious room, comfortable bed, safe parking and clean. Nothing special in terms of furnishings, but clean and lots of room to put things. Shower was not amazing, but did the job. If you can't afford to stay in pricey Monterey or Carmel but still want to enjoy the area, Discovery Inn is a safe choice.

TIP for newbies, Cannery Row in Monterrey is awesome for a touristy stroll and bite to eat, BUT during holiday season book ahead for dinner as we faced 2 hour waiting times at just about every restaurant, Cafe and fish & chipper.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

It's been written here in reviews about rudeness of the owners but for a Finn like me, it was only right-to-the-point communication which I appreciated. And the man was actually quite friendly after first encounter. ☺

All in all: good location, cheap, everything one needs, coffee ready always at the reception (free of charge) and good breakfast place within 100m (named Breakfast Club).

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Hapsiskapsiainen
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Payed a great price through an online booking company so I expected it to be run-down and shady. Here are my brief thoughts on my own experience: Easy check-in, nice owner, clean room, cable TV, pretty quick wi-fi, simple free breakfast, close to all the Monterey attractions. Only down side is the walls were a bit thin. Overall, though, great place if you just need a place to lay your head down for the evening while traveling during the day.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Dave L
Reviewed 29 October 2013

First off, I know what I was paying for this room (not much) and I know what a cheap hotel room is like. Thin, rough towels? Yeah, comes with the territory. Outdated decor? Who cares? I just want a place to sleep. Surly service? Meh, not that big a deal to me. If I want a concierge to be my friend I'll go spend 3x as much. Now the fact that it advertised wifi and that didn't work is a bit annoying. But hey, I've got a phone. So even that isn't the end of the world.

However, I do consider bedbugs to be a serious and unacceptable problem, even for a budget motel. I stayed here two nights with a couple of friends last week. On the first morning we noticed a couple of bug bites and assumed there must have been a mosquito around. Well, the next morning we had even more bites. And they have continued to show up over the past week. One friend has over 60 bites, all over his back and arms.

We live in separate cities, so it is not possible that we both just happened to get these bites at home. And they are not mosquito bites. They are clustered in groups and underneath clothed areas. There was also a ruckus involving sheets and blankets with the people next door. At the time I didn't think anything of it, but in retrospect they were probably more observant than we were and found visual evidence of the infestation. Also, there are several other reports online. Just search for "bedbug report" and look up this hotel. Avoid!

Room Tip: Avoid room 7 - it is infested.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Morgan M
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Large room, and king size bed. The sheets and towels were clean and they provided a basic breakfast which consisted of cereal and pastries and coffee just enough to get you going. There was a fridge but no coffee making facilities.

There were a few restaurants nearby by but with a bus stop outside you could easily catch a bus into Monterey and Cannery Row and have a drink without having to drive as they are at least a 20 minutes away

The reception staff were always available and we found them helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We stayed here as a stop of on our way to LA as we wanted to vist the aquarium , firstly we were suprised by how far away from montery the inn actually is as it is advertised as "discovery inn montery" however its at least a 20 minute drive into montery and no where near a beech. This was acceptable but unfortunate, however upon arrival our first encounter with the owner was him spitting right in front of us. Then when trying to check inn he was virtually shouting at us and making us feel very unwelcome as if it was such a bother to check us in andhe was doing us a favour just by speaking with us. Where as it actually felt as if he was twlling us off. Thank fully we were there for one night only and didnt have to deal with him again as we didnt bother with our free breakfast which consisted of stale fruit loops standing in the reception office. Montery is a lovely place do stop in or stay there but certainly not here at Discovery Inn

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaside
Sand Castle Inn
#4 of 56 in Monterey
Hampton Inn Monterey
Hampton Inn Monterey
#8 of 56 in Monterey

Been to Discovery Inn? Share your experiences!