“Very basic”

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Seaside
Preston, United Kingdom
“Very basic”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We used it as a base for 2 days to visit national parks, Carmel and Monterrey.

The motel looked well used and a bit run-down. The room was very basic indeed. The price was OK but didn't feel like good value for money.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Anaheim, CA
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Upon reading most reviews, i made sure i brought with me a can of lysol spray.
The room was nice & clean but you can smell something, maybe from the carpet so before the rest of my family gets in, i sprayed all contents of Lysol to the beds, carpet, tables, handles & restroom and we feel fine, secure from whatever.
Nothing fancy. We only needed a place to rest our backs for a cheap price ;)
And we park our van just outside our door, maybe 10 steps to our door.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank OCBabes
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We spent the night here as it was the only place left. We really should have kept driving.

The sheets had spots of dried blood on them, empty beer cans under the bed and the room was clearly not cleaned for some time.

Room Tip: Don't stop here, it isn't worth it!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank andrewpe80

Travellers are raving about these Seaside hotels

UK
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Didn't recognise any of the horror stories written below- clean room, v helpful owners, fast cheap laundry room. Location means it's driving only to Monterey - otherwise it's a walk to one of the strip mall food joints. Fine for 1 night

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GayleUK
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 October 2013

PLEASE READ - So this is what happened, we decided to tour Los Angelis after a week long conference. We thought we could tour Hwy 1 and book a hotel/motel along the way wherever we decided to stop for the night. So we landed in Monterey, Ca and every room in the whole town was sold out for the night. So we cont. our way to the next town Seaside and found that Gateway Thunderbird Motel had three rooms available as per their website for around $65.00 still avail. So we go in there's an Indian husband; wife and son team working at the front desk. The guy in front of us got the "last room" for $80.00. He went outside and paid her in cash..super sketch. So then we decide okay lets go to the motel beside them....we go in and the same women from Gateway walks into the next motel office to serve us?!!! WHAT??!! So magically this Motel has one room available. But it's $130.00 for the night, I say no - your website says $65.00 a night AND you have three rooms available. She said no the website is wrong. So then she said "well i will give it to you for $99.00" okay fine, then without leaving the desk she turns to us and says, "I just spoke to my manager (like when did you do that?? you never left the room). I cant give you the motel room for $99.00 but I could give it to you for $115.00 + TAX because the "last" room has two beds in it. We didnt want two beds - we just wanted one. She didnt care. So my husband pays $125.00 (tax incl approx) for the room. We head to the motel room and the smell of smoke walking up to it was disgusting but we are tired and at this point dont care. Then we unlock the door. The room was dirty. DIRTY. The bathroom smelled like a sewer- I had to keep the bathroom door shut as I couldnt handle the smell. The rugs we supposed to be a blue/green colour but they were brown and dirty. I wouldnt let my husband take his shoes off. There was splatters of god knows what on the walls. The lock on the window in the bathroom which is beside the front door was broken and wide open. I couldnt sleep all night worrying that someone could break in as it's easy access. The sheets seemed clean but the beds were not comfortable. The walls/floors everything was dirty - I have NEVER EVER EVER stayed in such a terrible motel. From the outside it doesnt look bad. I dreamt all night we were getting robbed and broken into. I got up at 2am to use the washroom. I opened the door and all I could smell (besides sewer stench) was smoke in the bathroom from the neighbours smoking and the window being broken and open. I am pregnant and had to breathe that in. In the morning I made my husband pack up and leave at 7am. I was scared even walking to my car. BUT it gets better....so we are laying in bed- using the shotty wifi that crapped out every 2 mins and was on this website and I was reading all of these terrible reviews about this motel and how not to stay there. Sad thing is, there was no where else in the city to go and we paid double the rate then on the internet. I was brought to tears laughing so hard at some of the reviews because of the situatation we were in. One of them said they would rather sleep in there car then stay there - guess what I begged my husband to sleep in our car instead of there but he was tired and gave in and paid the crazy price given the state of the motel. The next day - we headed back to LA and stayed at a Double Tree Hilton for $3.00 cheaper then the Gateway Thunderbird. They greeted us with warm chocolate chip cookies when we checked in and I could walk care free in barefeet on the hotel room floor. I will sleep in my car next time i go to seaside!!!

Please listen to these reviews and dont book there.

Room Tip: PLEASE read tripadvisor's reviews before booking a hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
9 Thank AmeliaTravelQueen
Oakland, California
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I liked nothing about the motel. I originally booked on bookings.com, but found the same night about 2 months later for cheaper, so I paid upfront online. I expected old, but clean; not dirty and threadbare. The folks were nice and as helpful as they could be when they replaced our broken refrigerator and fixed the "very low-flush toilet." However, the towels were dingy and threadbare. We did not use them, we brought our own. The rug appeared not to have been shampooed in ages, and the drain backed up during the shower over my feet. I made my family wet their towels, turn the water off, soap up and then rinse quickly. Bad patch job on the wall in the bathroom - indicates leaks, mold and termites. Had no smell of freshly cleaned bathroom. I had 2 queen beds, but we 2 adults and a 9 year-old slept in one. My husband had bites on his arm after a nap earlier in the day. We checked under the sheets for bedbugs, I saw none but I did see what looked to be a small termite! Thank God there wasn't anything crawling under the sheets where my son slept! The patio door window - dirty outside and in. Curtains, smelled like old. I left my tablet open all night. There was light dust on it the next morning. I noticed at least 3 other groups leaving very early like I did the next day. Not a comfortable place to relax until checkout time. I will never, ever, ever stay there again. I had booked another place for the next day. I got there and I could smell the freshness as soon as I opened the door, and it was $20 cheaper.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank LaJeune3431
Las Vegas
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Good location, looks nice from the outside. The furniture is run down, the mattress is horrific but the bathroom was OK. The handrail is rusted, the carpet for the outside stairs is disgusting. I will not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rayhaus547
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaside
Sand Castle Inn
#4 of 13 in Seaside
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Monterey Bay - Seaside
Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay
InterContinental The Clement Monterey

Been to Gateway Thunderbird Motel? Share your experiences!