“Worst place I have had to pay for and not stayed in!”

Americas Best Value Inn-Seaside North
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Seaside
“Worst place I have had to pay for and not stayed in!”
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Absolutely worst hotel I have ever come close to staying in! I was overbooked on a traveling agency website which I also do not recommend (booking.com), and was referred to stay here.The people there were rude and unpleasant and the whole hotel looks like a warehouse so naturally I was frightened to see the rooms. I was told that they only had one room left and it was smoking, which would be a problem because I have asthma. The owner did let us see the room before we booked it but when we walked to the room we were frightened by the outside. The window in our room was smashed and had duck tape covering up the broken parts of it. When we walked in the room the smell was just awful, my boyfriend and I could barely breath. Not to mention the dust, dirt and spider webs coating the walls and furniture topped off with the cracks in the walls and ceiling. Unfortunately we were in a hurry and on our way to a wedding so we booked this room for the night thinking we could look for another place after the wedding. We came back 30 minutes later to find that we would not be refunded even after I told them I had asthma and couldn't stay in the smoking room. I was charged $257 for a piece of garbage room I didn't stay in. I did not realize that I would be charged even though it had only been 30 minutes. Shame on them. Do NOT stay here even if you are desperate for a room!!

Room Tip: Do NOT stay here!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank sharronw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
San Jose, California
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Stayed only one night, view of a homeless encampment out my window, noisy and on a main road. Overpriced but the room interior was nice and clean, the furniture was newer and the bed was comfortable.
Left my phone charger in the room and guess what happened when I called...YOU GUESSED IT "WE DON'T HAVE IT".
Took forever to get checked in and no-one was in front of us. Their customer skills leave much to be desired and Stay if you must for comfort it will work, for pleasure it wont.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hockeygirl77

Travellers are raving about these Seaside hotels

sac
Reviewed 17 October 2012

This place is a serious dump. It's very noisy; practically right on top of a very busy street and close to the freeway. Dirty and run down on the outside. Stench of Indian food permeates. Room itself wasn't horrible; actually fairly roomy. Family of owners hung around and kept door to service facilities open so their private discussions were broadcast to anyone who walked by. Worst part; never before have had this happen in hundreds of nights staying in motels, in the middle of the night my locked door was opened and a flashlight was cast about the room. The intruder stated "I am man u jar" in his broken English and promptly retreated. Scared the hell out of me. Complaint the next morning when I checked out was basically shrugged off with a perfunctory apology. Not worth the cheap price.

Room Tip: There are none.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank dscgolf
Albuquerque, Nm
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I'll start with the not-so-good. The room was pretty stuffy and there was no fan or air conditioning. Granted, it's usually cool in Seaside but the room just had some stale air, and it would have been nice to move it around a bit. Opening the window was fine but the motel is on a fairly busy street so it was noisy (but quiet with the window closed). My only other 'not so good' was that the bed was a little too soft for my taste.

And onto the good: it was cheap! $50 a night to stay 4 minutes away from Monterey--good bargain. It was clean! No, it's not a fancy room. It's a motel, heavy on function; light on form. It was furnished with a microwave and small fridge which we appreciated and took advantage of. The shower was hot! It had free wifi! It had a hair dryer! The woman at the front desk was very nice!

So to avoid disappointment, understand what you are getting: a basic no frills inexpensive clean room in a good location. Would I stay here again? Yep. Would I recommend this motel to someone else? It would really depend on what they were looking for. Plush room with a comfy robe? Nope--stay elsewhere. Travelers on a budget looking for a place to crash? Sure. Perfectly adequate.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Odense, Denmark
Reviewed 22 July 2012

We were driving south and all motels were sold out 21. Jul 2012 until we came to this Motel, I know i am stupid accepting a charge of 200$ plus tax, but wife and child were tied and it was late. But this is not a apology to raise charge beyound what is reasonable - and it is - old funiture, spotted carpet noice from streat, thin coffie parking in the streat. For your information other butget motels like 6 - Marina was 120$ for same day.
So my advice to you is stay away from this chain - they dont have fixed prices like other chains but just take advantage of your situation - so dont support that kind of behaviour.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jan S
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This small motel is right on the main road, just off the freeway and backs onto a shopping mall complex. So, it's location is convenient for a quick stopover and that's probably all you'd want from it.

We had been travelling around the US and stayed in a few ABVI's so got their loyalty card, which is actually free. You simply sign up on their website and you get an instant membership number which you can use immediately. It gets you a better rate at some of their hotels if you book on their website (be sure to scroll RIGHT down to the end of the rates list - it's always the last) and also a free room upgrade when available on arrival. Both benefits applied without issue in most of the properties we stayed in so we expected it to be the same in this one. And after about half an hour of standing around waiting in the reception whilst the owner looked at whatever he was looking at on the web to try and verify this offer, he looked as if he was just about to phone a friend, then he suddenly agreed to it. Not sure the wait was worth it!

The room we got was very spacious. It was well equipped with a micro and fridge. It was clean enough and mostly well maintained which is more than can be said for the communal areas of the hotel - rubbish bags sat in the stairwell, rubbish not picked up around the outside and a toilet in the car park (not plumbed in so this was not an extra bathroom facility!)

Parking was fine but I can see it could be a problem if the place was full as there didn't seem to be many spaces, not the case when we stayed.

There were a couple of restaurants in the shopping complex nearby but we drove out further.

The main thing that left a sour taste in our mouths was that the owner tried to overcharge us. After standing around at check in for 30 minutes waiting to see if he would honour the better rate and room upgrade that came with the loyalty card, which he all of a sudden agreed to, he then proceeded to charge us the full rate. Our fault for not looking at the credit card slip amount we were signing and my husband did spot this before we left and the owner agreed to refund the difference (without an apology) but I can't help but wonder if during his 30 minutes deliberation he formulated this cunning plan to resolve something he didn't want to agree to!

This is a convenient place for a night at the right price but I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2012

BOOKED THIS THROUGH EXPEDIA SPECIAL - NEVER AGAIN.
This hotel is on a very busy street with high traffic noise. The parking is horrendous. We were parked in what looked like a legal zone of the "small" lot but were called about an hour after we had parked to move our car without explanation?
The room was nice and clean - the beds need replacing - very saggy.
Before I checked in I sent a note to Americas Best Value Inn asking if this inn had computer access so that I could print out my boarding passes - I was assured that I could by the owner via email.
When I was ready to print my passes, I went into the tiny, smelly office and asked the wife - she didn't seem to know what I was talking about and told me her husband would call me when he got in. Eventually I went back to the office and he came out very disheveled for an owner and offered to copy the paper I had in my hand but said there was no way he could print out my boarding passes. I am still not confident that he knew what I was talking about.
I would definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone but maybe it was my own fault by deciding to book through Expedia - get whatever they give you deal.

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet choose another hotel and one that the owners can communicate properly.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Petuniatokkie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaside
Econo Lodge Bay Breeze
#8 of 55 in Monterey
Spindrift Inn
Spindrift Inn
#2 of 55 in Monterey

Been to Americas Best Value Inn-Seaside North? Share your experiences!