“Awful smell from sink and shower” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Americas Best Value Inn

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Seaside
sydney
“Awful smell from sink and shower”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2011

We stayed here for 1 night (2nd sept 2011), on our drive from San Francisco to LA. Check in was ok. We were booked into a fairly large room with two double beds, tv and fridge. Only comment with the room is the awful sewage smell from the sink and shower. We could smell it when we had a shower and whenever we turned the tap on in the sink. It was quite a cold night so we decide to turn off the AC, however as soon as it was switched off, the smell from the sink was coming through. We needed to turn on the AC again the ventilate the room. If it wasn't late and us being tired, we would've requested a room change.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Carson City, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

We checked in and unloaded luggage, there was no closet but there was small/short wardrobe under the TV, which was too short to hang my freshly ironed dress so I hung it on the shower rod. We went out for about an hour and when I came back, my dress was gone. I called the front desk and they brought it back, rolled up in the bottom of a garbage bag. I asked for an iron and ironing board but they only had irons. Trying to iron a dress on the bed was difficult.

The toilet paper was on the back of the toilet as the toilet paper roll was broken. The hand towels and wash rags had been previously used. There was no TV remote. The next day I went to the office for the continental breakfast and there was only coffee which was terrible. I decided to get a cup of hot water and make tea in my room but the water had debris floating in it. This was an awful hotel experience. The other two people who I traveled with never got towels or shampoo and soap. I didn’t expect the Ritz but I did expect a clean, functioning room. This place was terrible

Room Tip: read reviews before making a reservation
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Susie G

Travellers are raving about these Seaside hotels

Santa Cruz
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2010

When my wife and I checked in I asked the owner/front desk guy if they had a hot tub. He replied they do. So we decided to stay. It had rained all day and when got to our room the huge window in the back had been left wide open. Our room was cold and damp from long exposure to a huge rain storm. Since is was so cold in the room we decided to go to the hot tub while the room heated up. I walked around the property in the rain and could not find it. When I went back to ask the front desk he told me that the hot tub was in my room. I replied not the "Bath Tub the Hot Tub". He told me that it was "same thing" and that they have hot water in their hotel and I could fill the bath tub with hot water and sit in it and it would be just like sitting in a hot tub. I was too tired and wet to argue and I did not want to go to another place and be charged by this awful hotel so we sucked it up and stayed in the cold damp room. We woke up in the morning packed and went to the "Free Continental Breakfast" which was Svenhards Pastries.
"DO NOT STAY HERE" There are several hotels in seaside all of which would be a better option then this place.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
panchalamit, Owner at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 21 January 2011
Thank you for your feedback we appreciate your taking time to make your comment. Your feedback is valuable to us and helps us to evaluate our product and service. Recently we have made a management change and continue to train our management team and staff to better serve our guests. We are also making changes to our inn to improve our guest experience. Again thank you for your feedback.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2010

the positives: the room was very large and very cheap compared to other area motels- the price even beat motel 6. the room was large, comfortable and had a table, 2 chairs, microwave, fridge, clean carpet and comfortable bed. many stores and restaurants nearby, good access to highway 1 and monterey. the bathroom was also good size with reliable hot water/shower.
the negatives: the furniture was a little rundown. only 2 hangars in the armoire. no roll and coffee until 8:30 p.m.- i think that was done intentionally because most customers left before then. the men at the front desk were minimally responsive. but what was really terrible was the paper-thin walls. i always stay in cheap motels and expect thin walls, but this place was ridiculous. you could hear conversations and tv dialogue very clearly. even when i asked people to lower the volume, you could still hear everything as if there were no walls. so the sleep quality of the room was terrible and i would not stay here again despite the low rate and decent room.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank whomever
Thank you for your comments, we appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. We have recently changed our management staff and continue to train the management team and staff to better our customer service skills. Our aim is to provide the best guest service experience and lodging facilities as possible at the most reasonable rate.
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2009

My husband and I decided to stay here for our one year anniversary! HUGE MISTAKE! When we checked in the front office smelled so horrible I wanted to vomit. So as you can imagine we did not partake in the complimentary breakfast. The front lady was rude and it did seem like there were a ton of people living there. Our room smelled so bad of cigarettes we had to go out and buy fabreeze to be able to sleep. The toilet seat was so wobbly I felt like I was going to get bucked off at any minute. Also they advertise HBO but the HBO channel was all static. The bathroom sink does not meet code by having a p-trap and that allows all sewer gas to come into your room. No coffee maker, no iron, HORRIBLE! Not the place to stay even if you are trying to pinch your pennys!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Davis, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2009

Don't mind the review for this place. I did read the reviews and was a little shaken up after reading some negative reviews. However there were no rooms in town available and stopped by for the night. The desk clerk Mike was very helpful and friendly and took really good care of us. The rooms were cleaned very nice no complaints and property is very well maintained. Would do it again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2009

Went there to visit a friend in Late may. The people there spoke Indian and did not seem to understand my questions,

The TV never worked and family members seemed to live at the hotel ie. did there wash in a laundry under the room. You could hear everything outside ( it is on a busy street)

I will not stay there again

Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaside
Monterey Tides, a Joie de Vivre hotel
#2 of 13 in Seaside
Hampton Inn Monterey
Hampton Inn Monterey
#8 of 55 in Monterey

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!