“Solid choice”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Seaside
San Jose, California
“Solid choice”
Reviewed 24 April 2007

This place never fails to amaze me. We've stayed there probably a couple dozen times in the past few years including this past weekend. It's reasonable, well located to the highway but not too close, walking distance to Starbucks, Jamba and Papa Chano's, not to mention Costco and a some other shops, you get that nice smell of ocean air with the breeze, 5-10 minutes to Cannery Row by car, a lovely trail nearby that winds along the coast for joggers and bikers. We also dive as one of the other reviews mention and it's handy for us as they have a rinse area for dive equipment. It's much cheaper than Lone Oak Lodge on average....another hotspot for divers....though there is NO hot tub. The rooms and bathrooms are all a very good size and the service there is very efficient and they keep the place clean. It's a well run very basic joint with no frills....just everything you need and a price you can count on will be cheaper or on par with the other similar type establishments on Fremont St in Seaside there. I've stayed in a lot of these places in that neigborhood depending on web pricing, but the default pick is always the Bay Breeze.

• Liked — the price and the size of the rooms
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank marcus8

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London, UK
Reviewed 16 October 2006

Can't help but agree with most of the other reviews on here -you really should know what you're in for when you book a place like this. We wanted somewhere that was cheap and clean and with a TV that worked. The EconoLodge fulfilled our requirements just fine, and with a great free breakfast in the mornings, too.
The staff were really helpful and friendly, the room was comfortable enough, and Monterey is 10 minutes away.

• Liked — the breakfast, the staff
  • Disliked — traffic noise, lack of pool
  • Tips/Secrets — some people might want somewhere nearer the beach
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ruby_malone
Columbus
Reviewed 11 August 2006

We drove to Monterey from San Francisco on 8/8/06 without any hotel reservations (something we NEVER do). It was getting late and figured we better find a place for the night, but all the hotels in Monterey were AT LEAST $199/night -- MUCH more than I wanted to pay (or could afford). We drove 'next door' through Seaside and saw an Econolodge and I ran in to ask for rates. I was happy when the front desk lady told me I could get a king room with cable, a microwave and fridge for $75. Granted, it wasn't the Hilton, but we got a good, clean, large, comfy room for a great price. We also got a nice little FREE continental breakfast the next day. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful each time I had contact with them. LOVED this place and will definitely return in the future.

• Liked — Large room
  • Disliked — Nothing...everything was perfect.
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for AAA rate
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LMHinCMH
Merced, CA
Reviewed 3 August 2006

I chose this Econo Lodge because it was one of the few hotels available on short notice and I needed to escape the searing heat of the San Joaquin Valley. I was pleasantly surprised at finding a nice, no-frills hotel. It is very close to the ocean--no ocean views, though. They keep the hotel clean, the TV has a variety of cable stations, the rooms are not cramped, and I found my room to be quiet. The walls are thin, however, so you will hear noisy neighbors if they appear. The rooms have fridges and microwaves. The lady at the desk was very kind and helpful. There is a shopping center nearby with a variety of eateries. The coffee shop just a few blocks down the street serves hearty and tasty breakfasts. This hotel is not fancy, but you get a great deal for the price. I'm not into ocean sports, but there is also a place outside to wash down diving equipment, etc.

• Liked — Clean and simple rooms with nice amenities (TV, fridge, microwave)
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Tips/Secrets — no
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Alsotelo
Reviewed 28 October 2004

Can't give any property like this a 5 star rating. But we love it cause we're divers and they are setup perfectly for us with rinse area and it's quite comfy and cheap. Book it on Expedia within a few weeks of your stay to get the optimum price. ...assuming it isn't sold out on some super busy weekend. It's just outside of Monterey but still just a 5 - 10 minute drive to all the Cannery Row stuff downtown....aquarium, restaurants, museums, gorgeous beaches, etc... We can come in grimy from a day in the ocean and it's OK, it's just the Bay Breeze. Don't expect much and you'll be happy. You get a free cont. breakfast, friendly help, extra pillows ;-) cable, a comfy bed (or two if you need it), decent size rooms, clean sheets, serviceably large clean bathroom, prompt maid service all in a very convenient location a few blocks off the freeway...just far enough away to hear traffic but close (easy walking distance) to Starbucks, Jamba Juice, Costco, Barnes/Noble, supermarket, drug store, and a couple of decent chain restaurants. And the furniture was recenlty updated. Don't get me wrong, it's a dump compared to any decent business class hotel. But it's perfect for us. Don't expect much and you'll be very pleasantly surprised!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 March 2004

When I booked this room via internet, I looked at the pictures, and then called to confirm I could book 2 rooms side by side, and if pictures on website were representative of MOST of the rooms there, and not some special expensive room.( I know the tricks) Answer was yes to both questions. When we arrived, the room couldn't have been more different! When I went back to the front desk, she pulled out a brochure of another place down the road and said pictures were of that place! (which was 45 more per night) Then pulled out a brochure for their motel, and said this is ours. She said the picture was of the HONEYMOON Suite! That is not an accurate representation of most rooms there, as I had asked! The rooms were clean, quiet, the people very friendly at the desk. But the place was OLD, and the furniture was at least 40 years old! I feel very upset I did not get what I paid for, based on false pictures and info via phone conversation! Econo-Lodge has numerous places that they do this picture switch for, so beware!

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Seaside hotels

Reviewed 2 November 2003

We stayed at the BayBreeze , Seaside CA.in Oct 2003. We were traveling with another couple who stayed in another room here. The staff were wonderful and very, very helpful. The rooms were clean and they have a very nice breakfast to get you started in the morning. Would highly recommend this motel..did not stay at the EC Monterey..mistake in review

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaside
Sand Castle Inn
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Monterey Bay - Seaside
Hampton Inn Monterey
Hampton Inn Monterey
#8 of 55 in Monterey

Been to Econo Lodge Bay Breeze? Share your experiences!