“friendly staff but dirty room”
Review of Magic Carpet Lodge

Magic Carpet Lodge
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Seaside
Reviewed 30 September 2006

The room had been cleaned but drapes on patio door were filthy, slideing glass door came off it's track, bedspread seemed grimey. No internet access in room. I would stay here again if there was no other choice in my budget, but I may look around for something differant in the future.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank SandyRae

Reviewed 7 August 2006

This hotel is certainly in need of a magician to sort it out. Best Western - what has happened to lead to the neglect found here?

We found the hotel by chance - forget Best Western's directions! They didn't correspond to the roads in Seaside at all.

The overall look of the hotel was tired and drab and this corresponded with the room we had on the second floor behind the outside staircase.

There was a nasty fishy smell in the corridor outside our room, but our room was clean, if dull.

The man in reception next morning needed some customer service training as he seemed totally uninterested in a warm welcome for breakfast. My husband pointed out that the orange juice needed re-filling and the receptionist fumbled about, muttering that he was not sure that he had any more whilst he checked various cupboards!! We were felt to be in the way and not entitled to eat! Other guests felt exactly the same way. The breakfast itself was as basic as we had in three weeks touring in Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Boulder City and the west coast including LA! This is not a good indictment of this hotel.

There was light at the end of the tunnel as the diner nearby served up an excellent meal with a wonderful waitress. A proper American experience for we English visitors!

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank travkay
Reviewed 27 June 2006

I booked this room in Seaside, close to CSUMB after Freshman Orientation for my daughter. The motel is in need of updating. It looked very dirty from the outside. We were on the third floor. The room was okay. The bed was very comfortable, I must say. We were wakened in the morning by the telephone, the office calling to say that the water would be turned off in 5 minutes. (why couldn't they tell us the night before?) We had to jump out of bed and fill the ice bucket up with water in order to at least brush our teeth.(taking a shower was out of the question and the water WAS turned off within about 2 minutes!) I was not a happy camper at that point. I would never stay at this motel again.

• Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank whiskypie
Reviewed 26 May 2006

We had difficulty finding this property (thank you Mapquest for your vague directions) – Seaside is a strange little town. There are plenty of “big box” stores in the mall (Costco, Target, Home Depot). However, with the exception of fast food, Starbucks and a few taquerias there are absolutely no dine-in chain restaurants (I did later find a Chili’s behind the Embassy Suites). Once I figured out how to get around – it was okay. But, while looking for this motel – Several times I found myself inadvertently directly headed to Hwy 1 (The Coast Highway) and return is not easy.

Anyway, our check-in was courteous. Our room was located on the third floor -- and the elevator was very scary. My sister called it a mini Tower of Terror. It didn’t do anything weird – but, it had a heavy door that you had to open before stepping into the tiny elevator. Upon entering our room, it had a terrible, moldy smell. Evidently, someone else thought so too because there was a stick fan in the room. I called downstairs to request a different room. The manager was very apologetic and showed me two other rooms to choose from. The second room was much better. The furnishings were standard-issue, but not entirely unattractive. The carpet appeared new. The drapes were a battleship gray (with no shear) and really needed to be replaced. And, I have to say that the room was a tad depressing (perhaps it was the drapes). At first I thought that AAA was crazy to give this property two diamonds, however, the bed was comfortable, there was an extra pillow in the closet, the sheets were soft and there was a first rate shower spray. And, there was excellent extended cable TV. Although, the bathroom “amenities” were the tiniest little vials of shampoo and conditioner that I’ve ever seen.

I would not recommend this motel to people with small children – especially, if they stay on an upper floor with a balcony. The balconies are very small with a thin railing and I would be afraid to step out on it. Also, the pool is one of those old-fashioned deep ones. The small pool goes from 3 to 5 to 4 to 6 to 8 feet. The location is pretty good. To get to Fisherman’s Wharf/Cannery Row – simply make a right out of the driveway onto Fremont – then make a u-turn at the next light, make a left on La Playa, another left on Del Monte and follow Del Monte all of the way to Fisherman’s Wharf (veer right). It takes about 15 minutes.

And, not that this really matters – and, perhaps I’ve spent too much time at Disney Resorts and have become accustomed to their integrity to theme – but, what’s up with calling this place, “The Magic Carpet Lodge?” There’s absolutely nothing – not even in the lobby – that had anything remotely to do with magic carpets.

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank DoogieH
A TripAdvisor Member
Barton, Hampshire, UK
Reviewed 17 May 2006

Area not very nice. Motel needs updating-decor etc. Rap noise all night long from locals in a nearby room. Clean with adequate breakfast and ok for an overnight stop if no where else available. 3/10

Reviewed 22 September 2004

My husband and I stayed in Seaside for two nights 9/8-9/9, 2004. We were on a California tour and found the price reasonable for the area. The room was very small. It was relatively quiet except for a few noisey guests early morning with a car alarm and a rental truck that was parked outside our door. It was a good location in proximity to Monterey. The pool was dirty and unappealing. The room needs minor cosmetic updates and could use some better lighting. I think the dim lights made it look dismal. Overall it was a good value for the location. Don't expect a lot. It was clean but tight space. Good for a one night stay. The Best Western on the Ocean looked a heck of a lot better; however, it was booked.

2  Thank SummerAle
A TripAdvisor Member
Sala, Sweden
Reviewed 18 August 2004

This place was really inexpensive comparing with other places in the area. But it is definitely NOT in Monterey, Seaside is 10-15 minutes from Cannery Row. Need a roller bed? Forget about it! The rooms are not that big. Breakfast (copule of muffins) was servied in the lobby and probably with the intention that you should eat it in your room. rather noicy during the night, lots of traffic going by.
All in all; inexpensive. You can save money and invest them in a green fee at Pebble Beach ($395), HaHaHa.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaside
Sand Castle Inn
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Monterey Bay - Seaside
El Castell Motel
El Castell Motel
#23 of 56 in Monterey

Been to Magic Carpet Lodge? Share your experiences!