“The Front Desk was Great!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay

Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Seaside
San Francisco, California, United States
“The Front Desk was Great!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

I stayed over the weekend and I thought that the front desk was very helpful, and friendly! Big shout out to Laura at the desk..she was really nice and went above and beyond what I would expect!! I had my children with me so the location of the beach two blocks away was great! Clean room and great breakfast! Thank you for the great stay, we will be back!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Mike T
GMMontereyBay, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear MikeT,

Thank you very much for your compliments of my staff especially Laura! I have showed her and staff your kind review and it was appreciated! We work hard to provide an exceptional experience for our guests and it is always a pleasure to hear that we exceeded our guest's expectations. We very much hope to see you again soon!
Jon - General Manger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

We stayed here for two nights in early November while visiting the Monterey area. There is easy access and spotted the hotel from Highway 1. Checked in on October 31st, the young lady at the front desk was dressed for Halloween and they also had trick-or-treat goodies. I was acknowledged as a platinum member and received a nice goodie bag.

Received a room on the 5th floor facing the highway but up high enough to see the bay, there was also a nice view of a small lake in front with a number of birds on it. The room was a lot quieter than I was expecting and although I would prefer an indoor hallway the outdoor was fine.
Nice rooms and a good size too.

Typical HI Xpress breakfast which was fine but it was quite busy on the weekend. It appeared that there was a family reunion and some of the folks, who were not staying there, came over for the free breakfast, not very nice of them.

A very convenient location, close to the wharf, cannery row, Carmel, Pebble beach, just great. We went on a terrific whale watching tour with ‘Monterey Bay Whale Watch’ and saw between 25 – 30 gray whales, killer whales, porpoises, sea lions, otters; simply amazing. We were out for over 4 hours, it seemed that every time we started to head in we would stop to watch another pod of whales feeding and close to the dock turned around to follow the porpoises.

All staff are very friendly and if you are going to the Monterey area this is a great location.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello Talies 2,

WOW Thank you for your time in doing this review.. I will be sure to share this with our staff. (That was Luz our front office manager all dressed up) They love to here the positive and seeing it in writing really makes them see how good service to everyone makes a difference. We are glad that our location was convenient for you and you were able to enjoy so much of your great town!! We look forward to your next visit to the Holiday Inn Express Monterey Bay!
Jon - General Manager
Santa Clara, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Laura at the Front Desk was very rude and unprofessional. I checked in at the front desk, went to my car and grabbed all my stuff and headed to my room on the second floor. Keep in my mind, I was also traveling with my 7 month old baby, which did not make things any easier. When I arrived to my room, housekeeping was still in there cleaning! I went back down and told Laura, "My room isn't ready." She starts saying, "Well, it showed in the system it was." She did not apologize for the inconvenience. As I told her my frustrations she rolled her eyes at me and scoffed. Finally, she decided she'd just give me another room. I told her, "Now I have to haul my stuff and my baby to another room." She responded in an annoyed rude matter, "Well, it's not THAT far." Wow, the nerve of her. She never apologized for sending me up to a room that was not ready, she rolled her eyes at me and talked to me in an unprofessional tone.

The room itself was fine. No refrigerator or microwave though. The shower has no curtain or door which made water flood the restroom floor! Which was annoying.

Breakfast was good. There were hot options such as bacon, eggs, and biscuits with gravy.

Room Tip: If your room is by the pool it may be loud during the day
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear MIKAELA J,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. I am glad you liked our breakfast options. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the hotel staff may have caused. We will follow up with the staff to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Regards,

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Iona, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Stopped here for two nights when on our way to San Francisco, very nice motel and the rooms were very clean! The staff were friendly and helpfull, they were more that happy to give us cartons of fresh milk an when we had some trouble with our key they were happy to give us new ones.
Used the pool and spa both nights which was nice, the spa was very relaxing and warm and the pool was heated and lovely for a swim.
The only downside to this hotel is that is is right next to the freeway, but it's not too noisy. It is reasonably central to most things and is generally a nice place to stay!

• Stayed October 2013
Dear RhonaM16,

We very much appreciate the time you took to give us feedback on our hotel and your stay with us here in Monterey! I am glad that you found our hotel nice and clean. This is the experience we strive for for every guest!! We hope next time you are in town you stay with us again, we appreciate your business!!
Jonathan - General Manager
Gosforth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

The Hotel has recently been renovated judging by the bathrooms and furniture. Free parking and breakfast all add to the value. We had a great nights sleep in a large, quiet, comfortable room on the 3rd floor. You can drive into the old town in about 5-10 minutes but you can also walk along a pedestrian/cycle path which takes between 30-40 minutes depending on how energetic you are. About half way along you can cut through the sand dunes onto the beach and walk into town that way, a much nicer view. If you stay in the old town you are going to pay $60-80 per night more for the pleasure

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dave T
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

The buildings are not clean in the hallways, the room inside in scimpy, the rate was double the worth of the offering. Pass this one...friendly front desk lady, but it stops there....the elevator is dodgy and the smell outside is unbearable....

• Stayed September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Stacy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Dear Oscarsaunderson ,

I am really sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We do our best to exceed our guest expectations and it's obvious we failed in doing so. I will share your review with the rest of the staff and management team. We appreciate our guest reviews and thank you for taking the time.

Stacy L

Travellers are raving about these Seaside hotels

Hitchin, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

The ladies on reception were very welcoming and friendly. The hotel is an older style motel style. We had rooms on the 2nd floor at the back with a view of the pool and car park. No noise at night. Rooms were very clean, bathroom good and the beds comfortable. It was disappointing however that we did not have a fridge. Breakfast was good however the dining area was very very full with nowhere to sit either in the main dining area or the overflow. Breakfast staff were also very efficient and pleasant. Pool area very pleasant although it did not catch the sun when we were there and always seemed to be in the shade.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaside
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Monterey Bay - Seaside
Hampton Inn Monterey
Hampton Inn Monterey
#8 of 55 in Monterey
InterContinental The Clement Monterey

Been to Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay? Share your experiences!