“Reasonable room, poor facilities”

Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Seaside
Dallas, Texas
“Reasonable room, poor facilities”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

The location is very convenient to Monterey Bay. Lots of stores and restaurants within a couple mile radius (very limited for walking distance.)

The rooms are good, nice beds and décor. They do not have microwaves or mini fridges, but management says they are being upgraded over the coming year. The room I had included an updated walkin shower (no tub), granite sink, but the facilities are very poor. The sidewalks are very dirty, there are dirty plastic flowers in the window boxes. The rooms look over the highway or the parking lot. The rooms are very noisy, can hear the buses beeping as they back up all morning long.

The breakfast is a standard holiday inn breakfast.
I had difficulties with my room and it was impossible to reach a manager for over 48 hours. The staff was unable to assist and management was unavailable.

If you need a cheap room in the M Bay area it is decent. If you can stay somewhere else, I would chose somewhere else. This property does not compare to the standard Holiday Inn Express Brand. It feels more like an OLD Holiday Inn from 20 years ago.

Room Tip: There are not really any good rooms. The only advice is to bring ear plugs.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
GMMontereyBay, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear JackieSun.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our property. I appreciate your comments and would like to offer my apology for the any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay. It is very important to me and my staff that our customers leave happy and I would very much like to speak with you directly. If you have an opportunity please contact me. Jonathan, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Turkish first
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Good saving of $50-70 a night for a similar hotel near the center attraction at the Bay. Only 15 minutes drive to Monterey Aquarium. Free parking, easy access to freeways and lot of restaurants near the hotel - McDonald's, Starbucks, Chili's all within 10 minutes walk. There is a nice Japanese restaurant nearby, Ichi Riki, on the same street, they offer good Japanese sushi and teriyaki. The only shortcoming is the noise out from Highway 1 other than that, this hotel is a good value with compliment hot breakfast and improved decor (the photo of the room from the hotel website is misleading, it is not a balcony for the room instead it is the entrance and walkway of the room)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear ahsangje,
Thank you for taking the time to do a survey for us. I am glad that you found so many great restaurants near by, we are lucky to have such a central located hotel.. I am sorry that you found the noise to be a problem. Next time you visit we have a beautiful lake in the back of the hotel that has no car traffic. We very much hope to see you again!!
Jonathan - General Manager
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I stayed over the weekend and I thought that the front desk was very helpful, and friendly! Big shout out to Laura at the desk..she was really nice and went above and beyond what I would expect!! I had my children with me so the location of the beach two blocks away was great! Clean room and great breakfast! Thank you for the great stay, we will be back!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Mike T
Dear MikeT,

Thank you very much for your compliments of my staff especially Laura! I have showed her and staff your kind review and it was appreciated! We work hard to provide an exceptional experience for our guests and it is always a pleasure to hear that we exceeded our guest's expectations. We very much hope to see you again soon!
Jon - General Manger
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We stayed here for two nights in early November while visiting the Monterey area. There is easy access and spotted the hotel from Highway 1. Checked in on October 31st, the young lady at the front desk was dressed for Halloween and they also had trick-or-treat goodies. I was acknowledged as a platinum member and received a nice goodie bag.

Received a room on the 5th floor facing the highway but up high enough to see the bay, there was also a nice view of a small lake in front with a number of birds on it. The room was a lot quieter than I was expecting and although I would prefer an indoor hallway the outdoor was fine.
Nice rooms and a good size too.

Typical HI Xpress breakfast which was fine but it was quite busy on the weekend. It appeared that there was a family reunion and some of the folks, who were not staying there, came over for the free breakfast, not very nice of them.

A very convenient location, close to the wharf, cannery row, Carmel, Pebble beach, just great. We went on a terrific whale watching tour with ‘Monterey Bay Whale Watch’ and saw between 25 – 30 gray whales, killer whales, porpoises, sea lions, otters; simply amazing. We were out for over 4 hours, it seemed that every time we started to head in we would stop to watch another pod of whales feeding and close to the dock turned around to follow the porpoises.

All staff are very friendly and if you are going to the Monterey area this is a great location.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello Talies 2,

WOW Thank you for your time in doing this review.. I will be sure to share this with our staff. (That was Luz our front office manager all dressed up) They love to here the positive and seeing it in writing really makes them see how good service to everyone makes a difference. We are glad that our location was convenient for you and you were able to enjoy so much of your great town!! We look forward to your next visit to the Holiday Inn Express Monterey Bay!
Jon - General Manager
Santa Clara, California
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Laura at the Front Desk was very rude and unprofessional. I checked in at the front desk, went to my car and grabbed all my stuff and headed to my room on the second floor. Keep in my mind, I was also traveling with my 7 month old baby, which did not make things any easier. When I arrived to my room, housekeeping was still in there cleaning! I went back down and told Laura, "My room isn't ready." She starts saying, "Well, it showed in the system it was." She did not apologize for the inconvenience. As I told her my frustrations she rolled her eyes at me and scoffed. Finally, she decided she'd just give me another room. I told her, "Now I have to haul my stuff and my baby to another room." She responded in an annoyed rude matter, "Well, it's not THAT far." Wow, the nerve of her. She never apologized for sending me up to a room that was not ready, she rolled her eyes at me and talked to me in an unprofessional tone.

The room itself was fine. No refrigerator or microwave though. The shower has no curtain or door which made water flood the restroom floor! Which was annoying.

Breakfast was good. There were hot options such as bacon, eggs, and biscuits with gravy.

Room Tip: If your room is by the pool it may be loud during the day
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear MIKAELA J,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. I am glad you liked our breakfast options. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the hotel staff may have caused. We will follow up with the staff to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Regards,

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Iona, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Stopped here for two nights when on our way to San Francisco, very nice motel and the rooms were very clean! The staff were friendly and helpfull, they were more that happy to give us cartons of fresh milk an when we had some trouble with our key they were happy to give us new ones.
Used the pool and spa both nights which was nice, the spa was very relaxing and warm and the pool was heated and lovely for a swim.
The only downside to this hotel is that is is right next to the freeway, but it's not too noisy. It is reasonably central to most things and is generally a nice place to stay!

• Stayed October 2013
Dear RhonaM16,

We very much appreciate the time you took to give us feedback on our hotel and your stay with us here in Monterey! I am glad that you found our hotel nice and clean. This is the experience we strive for for every guest!! We hope next time you are in town you stay with us again, we appreciate your business!!
Jonathan - General Manager
Gosforth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2013

The Hotel has recently been renovated judging by the bathrooms and furniture. Free parking and breakfast all add to the value. We had a great nights sleep in a large, quiet, comfortable room on the 3rd floor. You can drive into the old town in about 5-10 minutes but you can also walk along a pedestrian/cycle path which takes between 30-40 minutes depending on how energetic you are. About half way along you can cut through the sand dunes onto the beach and walk into town that way, a much nicer view. If you stay in the old town you are going to pay $60-80 per night more for the pleasure

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dave T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaside
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Monterey Bay - Seaside
Hotel Abrego
Hotel Abrego
#7 of 55 in Monterey
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,232 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay? Share your experiences!