“Old and Dirty”

Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Seaside
Reviewed 28 January 2014

For the price, this place should have been far better than what it is. The furniture is stained and ratty. The walls are dingy yellow, implying they were from the days of inside smoking. The countertops were sticky. There were not enough accessible outlets. The door didn't close all the way, leaving the room noisy and drafty. The place is old and needs a complete renovation if it is even feasible.

The breakfast was burnt eggs, stale cereal, and fatty sausage. While the images on the tabletops shows fresh fruit and healthy promises, the reality was over-sweetened, cheap yogurt or biscuits and gravy. I was going to stay here for four more weeks over the next two months, but now I am rescheduling all future travel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ryan E
Manager J, Manager at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear Ryan E from Seaside CA,

Thank you for staying with us on your business trip to Holinday Inn Express in Seaside CA! We appreciate your feedback it helps us improve our hotel. I have noted the issues you encountered at our hotel and have relayed them to the staff. I am sorry the new wallpaper in the rooms are not to your liking nor the Yoplait yogart we provide at breakfast. We have many healthy choices from wheat bread, to bananas to several fruit juices. I hope if you change your mind and decide to stay with us again that you stop by and speak to myself as I would love to here any other feedback that you might have! Sincerely,

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay

Reviewed 25 January 2014

I stayed here for three nights in late January 2014.
The Good: It’s half the price of the Embassy Suites next door; I got a room at the last minute (virtually); the beach is an easy walk a block and a half away; the wharf is a flat, easy two mile bike ride; the room was clean with no bad or unusual odors (bring your flip flops); the building had concrete floors and no foot stomping from the guests above (but there’s a bad side to this – see below); before I changed rooms because they stuck me in a room that adjoined to another room – my pet peeve – enjoyed a very nice view from the fifth floor looking out ‘the back’; no tub, nice shower stall with pretty good pressure; adequate work out room, two computers in the lobby, and fast, free Wi-Fi in the room. The Bad: my king bed was extra extra firm, with a worn out pillow top; no windows that open, although this enhances security and there's plenty of venting through the built-in heater/air cond below the window; built in the 70s or 80s, the facility is getting old. In other words, this place is a Holiday Inn, not a Holiday Inn Express; while the concrete flooring insulates against above-room noises, the concrete walkways magnify sounds from the outside, particularly from high heels, rolling luggage, and chatty smokers socializing outside; The Miscellaneous: one elevator for two adjacent 5 story buildings with 120 rooms: take the stairs; before you accept your room, look at the drawing of the buildings and grounds. Look at the stairways for each side of each building. Don’t take a room near those concrete stairs: noisy and busy; no suites, rooms are smallish but if you’re in a conference all day, no matter. Would I book here again? You betcha, unless I was with my snobby girlfriend in which case we’d be staying at the Embassy Suites at double the prices, at least!!!

Room Tip: Best rooms? Fifth floor (but no ice or vending on this floor), back side, south building, away from...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank PDeQ
Manager J, Manager at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear PDeQ,

We thank you for your review and we appreciated your humor! We hope the next time you are in town with your girlfriend or not that you choose to stay with us again. We have actually added features to each rooms since you were here only a few weeks back.. microwaves and refrigerators. We thank you and apppreciate your business!!!

Reviewed 22 January 2014

This hotel is vary old and the rooms were vary small. I have not seen venetian blinds on windows for many years, but they are on the windows.
The staff was vary friendly at check in and was doing every thing to help us.
We didn't eat at the hotel as we went down to the pier for dinner.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Manager J, Manager at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear Granny109,

Thank you very much for your feedback! I am glad to hear that the staff was very friendly! I am sorry you thought the rooms were small! We do have differnt bed types if the two beds are too small! I hope the next time you are in town you visit us again!! We truly do appreciate your business!

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Overnight stop whilst travelling from San Francisco to LA, good chili' s restaurant behind, was away early next morning so didn't explore surrounding areas but good for a stop off. Would stay there again

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Dear tedsmummy,

Thank you for staying with us! I am glad to hear you would stay with us again! We do have a brand new chillis behind us and a beautiful lake with a running path behind us as well. Next time you are in town i hope you get to take advantage of that as well! Also we are two blocks from the beach! Thanks again for your business and review of our hotel!!

Sincerley,

Reviewed 17 January 2014

Stayed a couple nights here when visiting monterey. decent room, service was good even though they were busy. When i left, i had left a camera battery charger and battery in the room. Called up a few days later and had them look for it. Figured it was probably long gone. But it did have my name on it. Couple days later I got a call from housekeeping manager and it was being shipped fedex to my home. Very pleased with their follow through and courtesy.I recommend this hotel. Very close to monterey and a lot less cost than other hotels in monterey.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Mwalk1,

Thank you for your review! I am glad we were able to find your battery charger and return it to you! I will relay your kind words to the staff as they do appreiate the posative feedback! If you are in town again, I hope you choose us as the hotel you stay with!

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Hotel staff was courteous and helpful providing recommendations of local eateries and activities. Rooms were updated but on the small side for 4 adults, yet for the weekend it was adequate. Balcony rooms are a bit noisy, especially ones facing the parking lot. You will hear other guests walking by and the car door lock alarms. Nice surprise was to feel the heated tile beneath my feet in bathroom/wash room area. Location was off the main activity zone yet within 10 min of Old Fishermans Wharf and about 15 to the aquarium. Within walking distance there was a Chili's and Starbucks. Our room was facing the lagoon and offered a nice view and trails to walk, run or bike around. Amenities vs cost deemed the hotel a reasonable family weekend getaway.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Manager J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear Rap7679,

Thank you for submitting a review on Trip Advisor! We here at the Holiday Inn Express Monterey Bay value all the feedback that we can get and when it is good feedback it really means alot! I will share your review with the staff at our next staff meeting! We are glad that your stay was a good one especially that you enjoyed the view and how close we are to Chillis and Starbucks! I hope you were able to enjoy the beach and downtown as well! Thanks again for staying with us and hope the next time you are in town you stay here agian!

Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night. Has the feeling of a motel but on 5 or so floors where you walk along an open air corridor to enter your room.

Strange numbering system with rooms in odds and evens but once that was over, our room was easy enough to find.

Room itself was ok, not massive but not small either. Location was good, as in a short drive to anywhere. Service was very good. Great value for money.

For the value, I would say this a good hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014

Dear AymanN,

Thank you for staying with us! Yes we are very close to all attractions here in monterey! I am glad to here that you reviced good serive and that the value for your money was great! Next time you are in town I hope you stay with us again!

Warm Regards,
Jonathan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaside
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Monterey Bay - Seaside
InterContinental The Clement Monterey
Sand Castle Inn
Sand Castle Inn
#1 of 13 in Seaside

Been to Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay? Share your experiences!