Holiday Inn Express At Monterey Bay
Sand Castle Inn(Seaside)(Great Value!)
US$84
Discovery Inn(Seaside)
US$68
US$67
US$106
All reviewsthe breakfast areamonterey areafree breakfastyogurtconvenient locationtop flooreasy accessbeds were comfortableminute drivethe room was niceroad tripfisherman's wharfpebble beachocean viewfreewayaquarium
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Good hotel with cozy rooms and nice breakfast. The reception desk staff was helpful and attentive! Hotel situated not so far from Monterey city - 20 minutes by car. Highly recommend for visiting The Aquarium and whales watching !

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank YanaTerskikh
kevin448899, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express At Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Thank you for your review! Monterey is a small town so we are close to all attractions. The aquarium and whale watching are certainly highlights for most guests who visit Monterey. I will read your review to the staff today as I know they will appreciate it! We hope the next time you are in town you decide to stay with us again!

Reviewed 3 May 2014

First off, I really wanted to like this hotel. I’m a glass-half-full-kind-of-gal, so it takes quite a bit for me to write even a slightly negative review. With that being said – here goes. First, it’s important to note “The Holiday Inn Express at Monterey Bay” is not technically in Monterey Bay (not to be confused with the HI Express Monterey - Cannery Row, which is actually in Monterey Bay), rather it is located in Seaside, Ca. Not a problem for us, but important for others that might easily be confused between the two.

The worst of the problems: the water shut off completely while I was mid-shower, not because the water to the hotel had been turned off, but because the water pressure was that bad - apparently because too many other people decided to take a shower in the morning - imagine that! Just about the only thing you need for a successful shower is water, so this was bad indeed. I had to go down to my knees in the tub, and cup my hands to catch the dribble of water coming out of the faucet to try to finish rinsing! This is a problem that the hotel is aware of as a conversation with a maid later confirmed. You simply cannot run a hotel with this kind of a water pressure problem; lose a star.

The spa/jacuzzi was also out of order and drained during our stay. In the positive category, the pool was heated to a nice temperature, but no spa, lose another star. Also, my husband and I thought it was so odd that this was the first hotel I'd ever stayed at that didn't provide washcloths. Well, the next day I learned they did - the previous maid had just not stocked the room properly. Other detail items like the weather-stripping at the bottom of the door, being indeed stripped also caused an eyebrow raise. You could see out the door without actually opening it. We rolled up the floor towel from the bathroom to help solve this minor problem. The silver lining to the hotel was by far the breakfast, which is included. They had lots of choices both hot and cold, that was kept readily stocked by two hard-working women. But, despite the breakfast being great, I sadly would not return here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank coryandcarissa
kevin448899, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express At Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out to write a review of your stay.. we appreciate the feedback even if you did not get to enjoy all of the time you were with us.... We have addressed both the water pressure and the spa since you were here just a few days ago. I know this does not help since your stay has passed but I am sure if you do decide to stay with us again these items will not be an issue. There are a few Holiday Inn Express hotels in the Monterey area which you mentioned and we are in what was called "East Monterey" but that name did not seem to fit the location well and is now named Seaside CA, which better represents us as we are a few blocks from the beach or approximately 50 yards from what is now called Monterey. Still considered Monterey Bay.
Warm regards,

Reviewed 1 May 2014

The front desk from morning until night was fantastic. In particular the morning manager Luz and the evening front desk Jessica went above and beyond to make our stay as convenient as possible. The breakfast and free wifi as well as the easily accessible location make this an exceptional value. The rooms were clean the cleaning staff is unobtrusive but friendly. I also like the outside corridors instead of interior hallways; but that is a personal preferance. Accommodating and hospitable, well done! And thank you!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Celeste831

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review about your stay at the Holiday Inn Express - Monterey Bay! We all really appreciate it! I have shown Luz and Jessica your kind words about them to their excitement! They were very happy to be recognized for their hard work and of coarse remembered you. We would all love you to stay with us again in the near future!!

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We enjoyed this hotel and found it to be very conveniently located. The front staff were very friendly and helpful. For those interested in visiting the Monterey Bay Aquarium, this hotel provides a 2-day pass for the regular price of admission, which was awesome and greatly appreciated. We were able to visit the Aquarium 2 days in a row so that we could go back to see more of whatever we were really interested in.
Our only complaint about the hotel was that the hot tub was lukewarm during our entire stay, despite telling hotel staff about the problem from the beginning. We cycle around a lot all day when visiting a new place, and look forward to a soak in the hot tub at night, so it was quite disappointing, having booked this hotel partially because it advertised a hot tub and pool.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
kevin448899, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express At Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generous comment/review of our hotel! We really appreciate when guests take the time out of their days to acknowledge our hotel and staff! I have read to all the employees your review and they were very appreciative! We hope that the next time you are in town you allow us to serve you again and we will make sure we live up to your expectations! Feel free to ask for me and as I would love to meet you and thank you in person!

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 6 April 2014

this hotel is off the main highway and therefore very noisy. it has outside corridors and this does not help. the hotel is clean and staff helpful. the front desk clerk was very helpful in finding a restaurant.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express At Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear Guest,

I am glad to hear that the staff was helpful in particular finding a restaurant for you! We hope the next time you are in town you decide to stay with us again. The back of the hotel faces away from the highway and has pristine views of beautiful lake! Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel!

Jonathan and the entire staff here at the Holiday Inn Express - Monterey Bay