“Very comfortable for the price.”

Holiday Inn Express At Monterey Bay
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Seaside
Reviewed 25 May 2014

The room was comfortable and appeared to be recently updated. Beds were comfortable, with an excellent bathroom/shower. This was a very last second booking, but the price was very competitive! Staff were pleasant and accommodating. The included breakfast was actually above standard. Would consider again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank osokdfa
kevin448899, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express At Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Guest,

We are glad that you decided on us to stay with during your visit to the Monterey Bay. It it great to read that everything was to you liking! We have recently updated the rooms to include new showers / microwaves and refrigerators. The next time you are in town we hope you stay with us again! Thank you for your business!

Jon and the entire staff here at the Holiday Inn Express - Monterey Bay

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Let’s start off by saying that my company has opted to stay here since 2010. We stay here every year due to business travel and we generally book a total of 4 rooms for 1-week stay. We have always stayed here because we can't really complain since it's a good value for the price we pay, plus we get free breakfast. However, this last stay was terrible. My coworkers and I checked into this hotel (all 4 of us getting our own separate room) late Sunday night. The front desk host's name is Mary. We asked her if we could have connecting/adjoining rooms because my coworker and I have this room every year. She mentioned that there are no such rooms located at this hotel, which I found to be extremely false since I've stayed there many years prior to this. I don't believe that the hotel knocked down a wall or don't have ANY rooms that connect. We always request these types of rooms due to my medical issues and that I may need a person to assist me with my medical needs. Mary told us to check back the next day since there may be people checking out. The next day comes and we check with the front desk again, only to be helped by Mary, AGAIN. She told us that she spoke to the manager and that the manager told her that the hotel is just not offering those rooms to people (and for whatever reason, she could not tell us). This is also another disbelief since there was a convention during this week so I would assume the hotel would offer every room possible to accommodate the convention.

I got into my room to check whether everything worked and I come to find out that my sink's pressure is too strong where it splashes water on me. My TV also didn't work. All my TV showed was static. At this point, I was so disappointed with the hotel that I didn't even bother to go down to the front desk to ask for another room. And lastly, there were footprints in the shower that would not scrub off. I initially thought they were my footprints; however, they were slightly smaller than my own feet and I couldn't scrub it off for the life of me. It gave me an eerie feeling.

The only rooms that Mary could offer us were two rooms close together, (224 and 226) and the other two rooms were scattered. These rooms are right next to the stairs and are completely loud with people walking back and forth. I lost many countless hours of sleep during this week.
Hospitality was just OK. I only had my room cleaned once during the week. After the hospitality cleaned my room, I noticed that I no longer got Bath and Body Works shampoo, conditioner, body wash and lotion but I got generics! I couldn't believe that the hotel was so cheap that they couldn't refill my items with Bath and Body Works items.

The only good things I liked about this hotel were that the hotel offers free breakfast and that they also added a mini fridge and mini microwave. This is a big deal for me since I usually have so many to-go foods from eating out all week.

This is the first year that we are considering on switching hotels. The rates here are always decent for what it is but we are considering a higher priced hotel for better customer service and accommodations.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the lake side is quieter. Try to get rooms far away from elevators and stairs and you...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank annatnguyen

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on the Holiday Inn Guest Survey, TripAdvisor and Yelp of your stay in early April! We always appreciate the feedback we get from our guests as it helps us improve our overall hotel operations. I am sorry that you did not get adjoining rooms..we do have adjoining room (although limited in number) that we offer guests, so I am not sure why that was not relayed to you but if we did have them the night you checked in we of coarse would have offered them to you. Because we only have a few it is best to call ahead to request these. A lot of times if you request them at check in especially if it is late we could be out of these connecting rooms because we have so few. I am very sorry as well that your sink spray water on you and you did not get the correct soap brand in your room..I am happy to hear that you liked the microwave and refrigerator which we just put in all of the rooms and our hot breakfast. I will use your review as as a learning tool for me and our entire staff.. Again I am truly sorry that we did not meat your expectations during this stay and I hope that if you decide to stay with us again we will do everything we can to make your stay enjoyable!

Jon and the entire staff at the Holiday Inn Express - Monterey Bay.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We did a night stop at the Holiday Inn.
Was great for 1 night, was a good clean room.
The shower area was nice and modern.
Bed was comfortable and we had a good nights sleep.
Check in was smooth and staff were friendly.

Unfortunatley there wasn't much more I could detial as we were only here for a very short time.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kimi1986
kevin448899, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express At Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Thank you very much for your review! We really appreciate the feedback and we too think it was unfortunate that you couldn't stay longer! But hopefully the next time you are in town you enjoy your stay as much! Feel free to reach out to me next time you stay with us as I would love to say hi and get your feedback in person!

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Comfortable lodging at good price. Serves its' purpose as an accommodation without the extra frills at a reasonable pricing.

Just one thing to note is that the housekeeping can be improved further as upon checking into our room, we find the floor of the room pretty dusty. So much so that we need to put on socks in the room to walk about so as not to dirty our feet too much. Also, housekeeping did not keep away the breakfast tray. It was left on the table like a stray.

Other than the above, no other complains. Definitely served its purpose.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Els15
kevin448899, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express At Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Monterey Bay! We really appreciate your business and that you took the time to write a review. I have looked into the housekeeping issues and have addresses them. That you for pointing these items out, they help us improve our hotel. I and all the staff hope that the next time you are in town that you choose us again for your hotel of choice!

Jon

Reviewed 12 May 2014

While the room doors are on outside corridors which means more noise as other occupants walk by, the noise of the highway was not noticeable to me like other reviewers expressed. I slept well each of the 3 nights of my stay, and really enjoyed the breakfast each morning. The breakfast room was busy each day but the staff kept the food full.

I especially like the location of this hotel - not far from Pacific Grove and Cannery Row, and also not hard to access the freeway to get to Carmel. I enjoyed all the sights the area had to offer.

The rooms had both heat and air conditioning that could be controlled by the room user, and the rooms appear to have been remodeled fairly recently. Part of this remodel was the shower, which was the only downside of this place. Instead of a curtain, it is half of a glass wall that doesn't move (no tub), so to turn on the water you get sprayed, plus the floor by the opening of the wall got wet while taking a shower. Such a minor inconvenience but was really strange to me.

Room Tip: rooms facing pool were quiet
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Heather S

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, most people do not have any noise issues as well. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have options for shower types, some have showers with the more modern glass wall and others have tubs for bathing. Next time if you choose to stay with us again which we all hope you do.. we would gladly give you a room with a tub if you would prefer.

Thank you again for taking the time out of your day and letting us know about your stay with us!

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Good hotel with cozy rooms and nice breakfast. The reception desk staff was helpful and attentive! Hotel situated not so far from Monterey city - 20 minutes by car. Highly recommend for visiting The Aquarium and whales watching !

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank YanaTerskikh

Thank you for your review! Monterey is a small town so we are close to all attractions. The aquarium and whale watching are certainly highlights for most guests who visit Monterey. I will read your review to the staff today as I know they will appreciate it! We hope the next time you are in town you decide to stay with us again!

Reviewed 3 May 2014

First off, I really wanted to like this hotel. I’m a glass-half-full-kind-of-gal, so it takes quite a bit for me to write even a slightly negative review. With that being said – here goes. First, it’s important to note “The Holiday Inn Express at Monterey Bay” is not technically in Monterey Bay (not to be confused with the HI Express Monterey - Cannery Row, which is actually in Monterey Bay), rather it is located in Seaside, Ca. Not a problem for us, but important for others that might easily be confused between the two.

The worst of the problems: the water shut off completely while I was mid-shower, not because the water to the hotel had been turned off, but because the water pressure was that bad - apparently because too many other people decided to take a shower in the morning - imagine that! Just about the only thing you need for a successful shower is water, so this was bad indeed. I had to go down to my knees in the tub, and cup my hands to catch the dribble of water coming out of the faucet to try to finish rinsing! This is a problem that the hotel is aware of as a conversation with a maid later confirmed. You simply cannot run a hotel with this kind of a water pressure problem; lose a star.

The spa/jacuzzi was also out of order and drained during our stay. In the positive category, the pool was heated to a nice temperature, but no spa, lose another star. Also, my husband and I thought it was so odd that this was the first hotel I'd ever stayed at that didn't provide washcloths. Well, the next day I learned they did - the previous maid had just not stocked the room properly. Other detail items like the weather-stripping at the bottom of the door, being indeed stripped also caused an eyebrow raise. You could see out the door without actually opening it. We rolled up the floor towel from the bathroom to help solve this minor problem. The silver lining to the hotel was by far the breakfast, which is included. They had lots of choices both hot and cold, that was kept readily stocked by two hard-working women. But, despite the breakfast being great, I sadly would not return here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank coryandcarissa
kevin448899, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express At Monterey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out to write a review of your stay.. we appreciate the feedback even if you did not get to enjoy all of the time you were with us.... We have addressed both the water pressure and the spa since you were here just a few days ago. I know this does not help since your stay has passed but I am sure if you do decide to stay with us again these items will not be an issue. There are a few Holiday Inn Express hotels in the Monterey area which you mentioned and we are in what was called "East Monterey" but that name did not seem to fit the location well and is now named Seaside CA, which better represents us as we are a few blocks from the beach or approximately 50 yards from what is now called Monterey. Still considered Monterey Bay.
Warm regards,
Jonathan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaside
Hampton Inn Monterey
Lone Oak Lodge
#4 of 56 in Monterey
Monterey Tides, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Holiday Inn Express Monterey - Cannery Row

Been to Holiday Inn Express At Monterey Bay? Share your experiences!