Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Monterey Bay - Seaside
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Seaside
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This was the 3rd hotel on our 5 day Mother-Daughter annual trip and it was our favorite hotel. The hotel was quieter, cleaner, and more friendly than the average hotel. Their complimentary breakfast was a complete "order what you want" and was made to perfection.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
Kent B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Monterey Bay - Seaside, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Dear Vicki C.,

Thank you for the wonderful comments about our staff and hotel. It means the world to us to hear that our guests experience a 5 star stay! We greatly appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your recent visit and hope to see you again in the future!

All the best,

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Hotel is really outdated!! They need to replace all furniture, carpets and redo the bathroom from start to finish. Rooms appear to be dirty because the fixtures are so worn out! Food service was your typical buffet with average food at best! They even ran out of beer at the free cocktail hour and I had to choose something else! The room view a view was on the 2nd floor looking over a roof and looking to a busy street below. If you wanted to see the ocean you practically had to put your head out of the window! Not worth the price!! I would never stay at this hotel again!

1  Thank Susan J
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We arrived late one night. The hotel looked pretty new inside and out and the staff seemed fine at first. Things went downhill fast, though, once we tried to enter the room. We were hit with a blast of eye-watering, knee-buckling smoker stench. Apparently, the previous inhabitants smoked a few cartons. The room was also not very clean, but that's a bit understandable. The housekeeping staff probably couldn't stand the stench for long enough to properly clean.
We complained immediately as you might expect, and that's when the real lunacy began. From the reaction of the staff, it was evident that they fully knew about the odor. The hotel's first two gambits were attempts at conning. Kent at the front desk had the audacity to ask whether we could "see" the smoke. He also stated authoritatively that "this is a no smoking hotel." This genius seemed to think that he'd convince us that we were imagining the smell.
Things got a little wierder when the front desk pulled up our reservation and noticed that we purchased the room through Hotwire at a cut rate ($160 vs. $260 on Hotels.com). The staff then told us that all rooms were "spoken for" (likely true given that a big auto convention was on-going) and we could not move to any other room.
I still expected the hotel to move us to another room. Nobody else would likely want a smoky room, but other guests who had yet to arrive at that late hour may have been no shows. Instead, what the hotel seemed to decide is that they'd take the certainty of losing a cheapskate Hotwire customer over accepting any risk of losing a customer paying a higher rate. Heck, for all I know, this particular smoky room may be set aside by the hotel as some sort of payback or discouragement for Hotwire customers.
In the end, we were forced to find another room at around 11 p.m on a night when most hotels were fully booked. The Embassy Suites did eventually contact Hotwire to arrange a refund. This took several attempts, though. The front desk staff gave me and Hotwire the complete run around for a couple hours telling Hotwire that my family's stay had gone fine. Finally, the front desk manager arrived at the hotel and fixed things. Overall, the experience was very negative and I can't escape the feeling that this hotel treated us differently because we had a discount rate.

4  Thank gqbindc
Kent B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Monterey Bay - Seaside, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2014

Dear gqbindc,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback and please accept our sincere apology for all the inconvenience you experienced regarding the smell of smoke in your suite. We want you to know that the comments we receive from our guests are taken very seriously and your suggestions will help us to improve. The cleanliness of our suites in a top priority and when we fail it is not taken lightly. We do hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to our area.

K Berman

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Great hotel, great service; wish we'd been higher up for a better view from the room. 2 minutes to downtown Monterey; about 45 to Santa Cruz, and an easy stroll to the beach. Unlike some other Embassy Suites we've been to, breakfast was easy no matter when you go there; never had to fight or wait for a table or wait in much of a line. Very pricey the week we were there, though.

Dear David B.,

Thank you very much for the perfect score card! Our team appreciates you and we are so pleased that you loved our hotel. The Hilton Brand Promise is to ensure that every guest is cared for, valued, and respected. It appears that our team delivered upon this promise. We look forward to your return.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Our stay didn't start off that great, as our room was not ready when we arrived at 4pm on a Saturday to check in, but the front desk clerk, Christina, was doing what she could. When we got our room about 45 minutes later, I was surprised to see that the carpet in the aisle way was soiled outside our door. This seemed unusal for an ES. The room was average, a little dated. When making the reservation it said the room had two full size beds, but I thought for sure it would have queen beds. Nope, they are double/full size beds. There was a crack in the shower enclosure and no ventilation in the bathroom which got quite steamy. We were on the 8th floor and had good water pressure in the shower and hot water (always good). There were a couple of small holes in the wall where it looked like they removed something due to the molly bolts showing- one hole in the bathroom and one near the curtain. After unpacking in our room we went downstairs for a free drink and potato chips with onion dip or tortilla chips with bean dip. We later had clam chowder in the bar which we all thought was pretty good. The bartender Justin? Jason? was very pleasant. The next morning we ate breakfast downstairs and were delighted with our made to order omelettes, fresh fruit and coffee. They also have cereals, yogurt, bagels, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, etc. You won't go hungry! We put the Do Not Disturb sign on our door so that the bedding would not be changed due to the extreme water shortage in this area. We asked for only fresh bath towels since we stayed two nights, which they gave us. The hotel is very close to the beach where we spent the day seeing dolphins right off the beach. It is also very close to Cannery Row, Fisherman's Wharf, the Aquarium as well as all the many many great restaurants. There is plenty of shopping nearby from boutiques and galleries, to Kohls, Target, Costco and Starbucks. We thought the location of this hotel was good and very convenient. It is right off the freeway, but we did not hear road noise from the room. They charge for internet connection and parking. There is a small convenient store off the lobby. The room has a small refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. Our coffee maker was not a Kurieg as another TA mentioned. There is a small pool and hot tub, which was packed. Of course, it was the weekend. Would we stay here again? Yes, if we have earned more hilton honor points by then!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Kent B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Monterey Bay - Seaside, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2014

Dear SeaShellSunSand,

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your stay with us. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service to all of our guests. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we strive to provide accommodation rates that are competitive in the area. I am sorry our hotel fell below your expectations and please rest assured, the maintenance comments provided have been addressed.

It is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued customers, but to instead provide value, comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve our service continually. We are pleased that you enjoyed many of the services we do provide including our cooked to order breakfast and our convenient location. Again, thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I'm not for sure I have enough space to write up all this hotel jacked up during my stay! For one, I completed the online check in (Room 1009). When I arrived (around midnight) I was put into Room 1313B. I'm sure you know what the B refers to... That's right, I was put in the only non suite room on the floor! An overflow room for 1313A. In spite of the fact I had checked into a room online. My reservation was for a suite, with 3 sleeping surfaces. Not a closet with two double beds! When I got in the room, I called the front desk. No other rooms available. I asked for the manager to call me in the morning. No call by the way... That completes the reservation accuracy and room location/type issue. Next... Before I arrived I shipped a package which was delivered to the hotel on Friday August 1. I called the hotel on August 3 and asked the package be placed in the room. When I arrived I asked if I the package was in the room. No idea. The package wasn't. It was midnight. I called down and first asked about the package. "We'll have it sent up". Next, I stopped downstairs and asked if they found the package. The lady working the front desk wrote a note and said they would have the package delivered to the room. Guess what. When I got back for the day (now Tuesday), no package in the room! I called the front desk again. Michael said he would look for it and call back. He did about 10 minutes later. Stated he couldn't find it. Finally, I just went to the front desk and asked to see the storage room and was taken there. Found my box in about 12 seconds. Obviously, I complained about my room. I was given a new room (919) and was moved there on day 2. When we came back for the day the room was hot. I am aware that the BS energy conservations systems installed in rooms turn everything off when you walk out (that is really annoying to come back to a hot room) so I waited 10 minutes and noticed the air was hot. We were leaving for dinner so I called the front desk and requested "someone from maintenance check my HVAC" while were away for dinner. The person working from the front desk asked me if it was not working (which I thought was kind of a silly question) I jokingly replied "I'm thinking". Upon my return from dinner, the room was 1 degree warmer (78.6) degrees. I called the front desk and asked if maintenance had a chance to look at my HVAC. The person replied, "yes, it's working now". I replied "no, it isn't". They replied "Yes, sir, it is". I replied, "no it isn't". They replied "engineering repaired it". I replied, "then your engineer is on crack". I guess my little joke wasn't perceived as a joke. I was told that "the engineer and the manager both checked it out and it is working fine". Then I replied "well, your manager is on crack too." About 15 minutes later the manager knocked on my door. Asked what the problem was. I stated the problem was "the AC unit you declared working isn't and the room is almost 80 degrees". We argued a bit about how I had been perceived as combative by the hotel staff. I just offered that a guest shouldn't be told they are wrong when they are right. I also offered that you don't stick a Diamond into the smallest room on the floor. Especially after they have checked in on line and the staff could use some training. She didn't like that and just said we want you to be happy. More to come on that (she was actually quite rude and combative and was all behind the I'm crazy and the HVAC was working argument - reference the staff interaction issue - frankly, I think the hotel knew it screwed up and just decided to pass me off as combative so they would have some kind of counter argument when I dropped a complaint on them). She stepped out and called the engineer in. He waved his magic wand (IR temp detector) around and said the AC was working. I asked why it was 1 degree warmer in the room two hours after he said he repaired it (and disabled the energy conservation features). He worked a little longer and came clean that the air coming out of the AC unit was fluctuating between 70 and 80 degrees. Finally, it was determined that they couldn't repair the unit until the next day. But we were given one fan. Define irony: Monterey CA, where the daytime temp never got over 72 degrees, with a room that never cooled below 78.4 degrees. Again, full hotel - couldn't move. Anyway, now Day 3, we returned for the day and the room, you guessed it, 79.2 degrees. Guess next? I called the front desk and spoke with the only polite person I encountered the entire 5 days. I asked for an update. I was told that the repairs were too extensive and the repairs would not be made during the duration of my stay. I was told that I could move the next day - keep in mind that essentially that would be the last day of my reservation. I told them I would get back to them. We decided to not move for one day to another room. I was offered another fan. This concludes the heating/cooling systems issue. Any one of these things, I wouldn't have even completed the survey. But with the total incompetence in providing me with a suitable room, functioning HVAC (with non argumentative staff), not being able to deliver a package (or even find it), putting me in 1313B, 78-80 degree hotel room, and a couple of rude hotel staff, I opted to complete the survey. Honestly, I think I'm entitled to a point refund, for all but the day I made a personal choice to not move as the hotel could not provide reasonable accommodations based on their incompetence.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Kent W
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed here with my family for 2 nights in August and we absolutely loved this place. We also stayed here (wife and I) in July with out kids and loved it also. The location is great and it has a shuttle to aquarium and Wharf. The breakfast was great as usual for Embassy hotels. We stayed in room 1008 and had a great ocean view!!! We had amazing sunsets from our balcony and watched the Humpbacks lunge feeding and breaching!!!!!

1  Thank tnsna

Dear tnsna,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your suite, its amenities, and the view. We are also honored by your compliments about the amazing customer service you received throughout your entire stay. It is wonderful to hear that you would love to return in the future, and we hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Assistant General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaside
Hampton Inn Monterey
Hilton Garden Inn Monterey
Sand Castle Inn
Sand Castle Inn
#1 of 13 in Seaside

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Monterey Bay - Seaside? Share your experiences!