“Not very accommodating”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Sebastopol
Martinez, California
“Not very accommodating”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

The first time I stayed here, I was put into a room facing the highway. The minute I walked in and heard the overwhelming noise, I knew we would not be able to sleep. I returned to the desk immediately and was reassigned to a room in the back. That room was very quiet. Knowing this situation, the next time I made a reservation over a week in advance, I asked to have a quiet room in the back. I knew I was tallking to the temperamental guy at the desk and not the nice one. He said that he could not guarantee that. I told him I could not sleep with the street noise on the front row. He made no effort to accommodate my request. It is hard to believe that a Marriott Hotel could be like this. I told him that I could not take that chance and I would have to cancel, which I did. The only reason I give this place 3 stars is my good experience the first time and the breakfast is also good.

Room Tip: A good room depends on which one of two desk clerks you talk to. I verified with them that they im...
1 Thank travelfriend1
lipstkshu, Owner at Fairfield Inn & Suites Santa Rosa Sebastopol, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Travelfriend1, you are correct your reservation was handled wrong. Especially if you are a returning guest and you enjoyed a specific room, you should be able to get that room on your next visit - no ifs, ands or buts.

When I received your review last week, I immediately spoke with our General Manager. We both agreed that the specific GSA that you dealt with plus all of our other service agents are in a need of a refresher on how to say "yes" to the guest.

I hope you give us a chance to make this up to you when you are up our way again. And keep in mind, immediate help with all your reservation needs is the General Manager's responsiblity please don't hesistate to ask to speak to her if you need to - any time.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Flagstaff, Arizona
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Not much to say but that is very nice place to stay. Very, very clean rooms.

Room Tip: Get the studio if you staying more than a day. It is very nice!
Mountain View, California
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Came up to see our son, who is attending Sonoma State University in nearby Rohnert Park, which is about a 15 minute drive from this hotel. Very fresh and clean hotel, lovely lobby with a "fire" in the fireplace, which gave it a cozy feel. Fast and efficient check-in, rooms comfortable, excellent wi-fi. Breakfast came with the room and it was well layed out, waffle maker, bacon and eggs, fruit, cereals etc. We also tried a restaurant for breakfast one morning, The Hole in the Wall, about 2 blocks from the hotel. Good breakfast with homemade biscuits. We would be happy to stay here again on our next visit north.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
San Francisco,Ca
Reviewed 21 February 2012

This hotel has become our little secret hideaway for the wine country. Great location for wineries, restaurants and antique shopping. This isn't Napa, nor do we want it to be. Sebastapol is a farming town primarily, but it has plenty to see and do. Lovely pool, friendly staff and great location, with breakfast thrown in. Refigerators are in the rooms, always a plus.

Room Tip: Try to be near the pool, if not away from the front.
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Upon first glance, I would have easily given this hotel an "Excellent" rating. The hotel looks and feels very new. Everything (from the hallways, stairways, lobby, and room) are impeccably clean. The check in staff was friendly.

However; seconds after entering our room, we were hit with an overwhelming perfume smell. Either the cleaning products they use are heavily scented or a previous guest spilled their cologne on the carpet, but it was sensory overload. We put our bags in the room and opened the windows hoping that the smell would go away while we went out to dinner. We got back around 3 hours later and still there...needless to say, it was not a great night sleeping with the horrid smell that made me nauseous and the windows open on a cold February night. I guess we should have complained, so some fault can be on us.

However, I do wish that more hotels would do room checks before checking their guests in and situations like this can be avoided (if a previous guest had indeed spilled their perfume, which I believe was the case) and/or switch to cleaning products with less heavy scented perfumes. I get awful headaches when around aromas like the one described above and could not wait to get out of the room and into some fresh air.

Would stay here again, but would be more upfront when a room is not up to my comfort standards.

2 Thank maria1012
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 11 February 2012

This was my first ( and maybe last ) time staying at this property in my home town of Sebastopol. I had stayed here many times over the years visiting my mom when the hotel was a Holiday Inn Express. I am happy to say that the change in brand and management has not impacted the service in the least. Property is immaculately clean, beds are comfy with fresh white bedding, and comfy pillows. Liked the coffeemaker and fridge in room- perfect for stashing those bottles of wine and snacks you pick up while touring the western end of Sonoma County. My apologies to any guests who were inconvenienced by my huge moving truck taking up the back parking spaces- but the house was not full so I was able to aptly park my U-Haul overnight. This was a quick overnighter- but a good night's sleep in a quiet room was well worth it! Nice selection at the morning breakfast.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 31 January 2012

We stayed here on our way back from a vacation.
2weeks later the charge my visa $250 for a smoking fee and we dont smoke!
Called the hotel and was atacked on the phone by the manager! Who wont discuss the matter and doesnt care what we have to say! This si a total scam ! If they know you are fro out of town the will hit your card and there isnt anything you can do about it !
Warning this is new scam by california hotels and nthere are reveiws about this all over the internet! This hotel is on the top of the ripp off list!

Room Tip: make sure you have manager sigh off that your room is smoke free! If you dont she will charge you $2...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank jims338
lipstkshu, Owner at Fairfield Inn & Suites Santa Rosa Sebastopol, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Jim S. – I understand your frustration and anger on receiving your credit card statement and seeing a $250 charge from our hotel. The fact is we are a totally and completely nonsmoking hotel so it is very easy to smell cigarette smoke or see cigarette butts when housekeeping walks into a guestroom. We have signs at all the entrances to our hotel that clearly states we are nonsmoking and your keycard holder clearly states “We are committed to a nonsmoking environment and you will be charged $250 if you smoke.” But, that does not usually deter anyone from smoking in a room if they want. This is not a scam by our hotel or any other California hotel , and I ask you to show me where you have read about something like this happening else where. So it comes down to this, there was something about your room that led us to believe either you smoked in there or someone visiting your room smoked in there. We can only go by what we smelled and saw. I would like to reiterate that we are reasonable people, and we look forward to working out problems with our guests not compounding them.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sebastopol
Sebastopol Inn
Bodega Bay Lodge
Bodega Bay Lodge
#1 of 5 in Bodega Bay
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sonoma Wine Country

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Santa Rosa Sebastopol? Share your experiences!