“Charming place and a nice stay, but big and annoying billing error”

Holiday Inn Selma-Swan Court
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Selma
Rockville, Maryland
“Charming place and a nice stay, but big and annoying billing error”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed here one night during a big California road trip. I was traveling from Los Angeles to Yosemite and spent the night here, checking in pretty late. I was nicely accommodated by the staff there and found the room a good value for the money. It was clean, had a nice bathroom, the internet was decent, and I had a very comfortable sleep. I highly recommend the place if you're looking for something quiet. It's weird, I know there must have been other guests but I felt like I was the only one there. This is a bit south of Fresno and in a very picturesque, classic California location. I almost felt like I was in a John Steinbeck book. You get a discount for breakfast, which was held in a lovely restaurant. The food I had was quite good, as well; better than your average hotel breakfast.

Now, on to the billing error. This place supposedly has automatic checkout. According to the instructions, you leave the room keys in an envelope and then leave it in the room. Then, you're free to go. So, that's what I did. When I got home I found that they billed me for a second night. When i called the hotel, they said that they assumed I wanted to stay a second night because I had not checked out by the front desk. Why on earth would they think this? The room was empty! I couldn't even get a refund through the hotel and had to do a chargeback through my credit card. In conclusion, either perfect this automatic checkout system or don't have it at all.

That being said, I would definitely stay again if I'm in the area. I will just check out through the main desk.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This was a very pleasant surprise, after having stayed in other Holiday Inns. The impression I had was of like being a guest in a family home, such was the warmth of the welcome. It has an unusual layout, complete with windmill and black swans! The bedrooms were immaculate; clean and very comfortable, with excellent free wi-fi.
The bar was particularly notable. A very short walk from the main hotel. It was well stocked indeed, with a good range of draft and bottled beer (including local brews) .The bar food was excellent, a good range perfectly cooked and presented and at reasonable prices. Happy Hour was obviously very popular. In the evening, we were privileged to hear a local band perform very good live music. The resulting atmosphere was excellent.
The staff of the hotel were attentive, professional and very welcoming. The young lady behind the bar made a mean cocktail!
I would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Only stayed for one night, but impressed by the friendly staff and room. The layout of hotel is not the best, but does not detract from the overall experience. The breakfast in hotel restaurant very good, a $10 voucher towards this included with room rate. The grounds include a pond with fish and black swans, nice touch. If staying in this area again will be back.
If using GPS, beware of address, when using street number, my one took me to auto mall next door.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I sincerely enjoyed my stay at this Holiday Inn. The room was clean and comfortable. The housekeeping was superb! The free wi-fi was very reliable. The on site restaurant was very good and the pea soup was wonderful! Lastly, I left an expensive item in the room by mistake when I checked out. I was notified quickly. However, I had already left town to catch my flight home and was unable to come back. The item was shipped to me in perfect condition a few days later. Thanks so much Mary, Samantha, and Natalie! Your honesty, integrity, and professionalism is inspiring! I will always stay at this hotel when I visit Selma.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Valerie B
San Diego, California
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I highly recommend it. The hotel is nice, clean, and provides great customer service. They also include (real) free breakfast and starbucks coffee with your stay. Everything in the room appears to be updated.

I did have an issue with the room, it was not cleaned but they immediately moved me to another room. They also compensated me with a free movie.

I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I always request certain rooms whenever I travel. They provided everything I asked for.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
swancourt1, Manager at Holiday Inn Selma-Swan Court, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you so much for taking time to let us know you were pleased with your recent stay.
'We strive to provide the best service in the hotel industry.
We look forward to your quick return.
Lauri
SF Bay area
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We selected this hotel from the web & photographs. It has affordable rates and appeared to meet our needs. I will say the Staff was the best element in our stay. The rooms are in need of updating, and the general lay out resembles a rabbit warren. The worst part was the bathroom; the tub did not drain and the handles to get hot water were not working properly. Our room's window was blocked by the wall of a wing; we could only see out a portion of our window. We would not stay again; I would recommend checking out other options.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
You are such a valued guest and we are so apologetic that you were not pleased with your recent stay. As you can see by our by our many stellar reviews this is not a normal experience for our guests.
We insist you revisit us soon and I will personally see that we show you why this Holiday Inn has the highest guest service and satisfaction scores in the entire western region.
Please call the hotel and ask for the General Manager, Lauri. I will personally oversee your next stay.
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Never had a problem with noisy guests or incidents. This works for me, being a writer. I love it! Occasionally you'll hear a train late at night or early morning but that's to be expected given the area( Central California). This hotel is conveniently located near a few good restaurants, Denny's especially because it's kid-friendly. Kettleman's Steakhouse is just up the street, and the delicious mom and pop café McCoy's is less than 5 minutes away. There's a shopping center across the street with a Food Warehouse, Office Depot or Staples ( I can't remember) and a variety of other little fast food joints. There's the Sunshine Express Train which the kids seem to enjoy AND they have a heated pool. The staff is very accommodating and friendly as well.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Selma
Fairfield Inn & Suites Selma Kingsburg
Best Western Colonial Inn
La Quinta Inn & Suites Fowler
DoubleTree by Hilton Fresno Convention Center
Hampton Inn Visalia
Hampton Inn Visalia
#1 of 14 in Visalia
La Quinta Inn & Suites Fresno Riverpark

Been to Holiday Inn Selma-Swan Court? Share your experiences!