“Good time...but on a beat up boat -- Will Try Another Marina Next Time”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shasta Lake
Holiday Harbor Resort and Marina
northern california
“Good time...but on a beat up boat -- Will Try Another Marina Next Time”
Reviewed 1 July 2009

It was our first time renting at Holiday Harbor, having boated on Shasta before and rented houseboats in the Delta as well.

The loading experience was challenging because they had very little access space near the dock area. Cars had to fight for space and even then, it was tough. Service was pretty good and efficient (including the mid-week refueling and tank dumping). The boat itself (Empress) was well designed by definitely more beat up than I would have expected. All the window blinds were damaged. The rooftop railings were loose. One of the bathrooms stunk pretty badly and there was no tank deodorizer provided (lame). One of the refridgerators didn't stay cold enough (milk spoiled well before the expiration date.) There was a big rip in the kitchen linolium. Bottom line is that the boat was pretty worn.

It was a great trip (houseboating on Shasta is great!) and nothing about the boat or the service at Holiday Harbor really took away from that, but I think next time we'll try another marina for rental.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank isitvacationtime

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Medford, OR
Reviewed 24 June 2009

This was our second trip that we had booked with Holiday Harbor. This year we rented the Grand Marquis, which is there newest boat in the fleet. This year unfortunately did not go as smooth as last year. Our departure time was 12:00pm. We arrived at 11:30 to load up the boat. We were told the boat was not ready as a power steering hose blew and got fluid all over the inside of the boat. So, they told us it would be done later in the day and we could leave then. They said the would give us a free nights stay because of this issue. Keep in mind, they never called me to tell me it wasn't ready. So, we went to Redding to eat lunch and do some shopping. Well, I get a call at 11:59 right when we arrive in Redding, saying the boat is ready. So, we went all the way to Redding for no reason. So, we came back, loaded up the boat, and departed at around 1:30. Trip was good, came back, and told the manager we wanted to reserve for next year and give us our free night added on to next years visit. He told me he couldnt do it because the boat had been fixed before 12:00pm. Well, we were supposed to DEPART at 12:00, not load the boat at 12. So, as of right now, I am thinking of not going with this marina next year unless they make it right. We will see.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank jasondady
Carlsbad, Ca
Reviewed 10 August 2007

Normally I don't write a review, however I felt that I should warn other would be houseboaters to beware. My family has been houseboating at Lake Shasta since I was a teenager, so this was not my first experience houseboating. It was my first experience at Holiday Harbor.

We arrived early afternoon to check and were told our boat was ready. I was extremely happy, we were off to a good start. Unloaded the van and truck, with all of our food and gear for the week, stored it on the houseboat, using every inch of space on the "Marquis". Went through our orientation (the boat had difficulty starting), checked the prop (it needed to be replaced - so they quickly put on a new one), everything seemed to be in order, and off we went to enjoy our week.

About 2 hours out, the boat lost power and the harbor was closed, we were unable to contact anyone that evening. So we pulled the adrift houseboat into the nearest shore, using our ski boat. Holiday Harbor did send a mechanic out to start working on the houseboat the next morning. He then called for additional support. In the end they determined our boat was not doing to be fixed. We were told that they thought the same model was available,they just needed to verify with the main office. This took about 45 minutes, ours ended up not being available the only one they had was an upgraded model "Empress". It was going to take some time to make sure it was clean and mechanically ready. When it was sent out to us, we had to move all our belongings, food and gear over to the new boat. Sounds like no big deal, but let me just say once was enough, I wasn't thrilled to have to do this again after organizing everything the first day. By the time we were on our way it was 6pm (24 hours later).

All that being said we had a great week. The weather was beautiful (hot - but you're on a lake - jump in). We will definitely houseboat again, although most likely through another marina.

When we turned our boat in the following Saturday. I expressed that we did have a good week, however we lost that first day sitting in a spot that we didn't want to be in, in a broken boat. I was referred to several people and received a call back from the president of Holiday Harbor. My request was that I would like compensation for the day lost (I did not ask for the upgraded boat, and the only reason we got that was because ours was not available). I was told by the president, "that he does not give refunds, but would comp one day next time". I feel that after we have paid them (which you have to do in full ahead of time), our expectation is that we should have a clean and mechanically sound boat. He should have made an exception to his policy and refunded the day we lost.

As it stands we will not return to this marina, nor will we recommend it to our friends.

Moral of the story, when your boat has trouble starting in the marina, have them take care of it before you head out. Also, my girlfriend and her family rented the same model "Marquis", we were houseboating together. Hers had a major problem with ants. While they were fixing our boat we asked if the mechanics could bring something to take care of the ants. They said just use the ant spray under the sink (she went through 3 bottles). She battled ants all week (we haven't had a problem like that before).

• Stayed July 2007, travelled with family

#5 of 37 in Redding
Ramada Limited Redding
Ramada Limited Redding
#26 of 37 in Redding

Been to Holiday Harbor Resort and Marina? Share your experiences!