“Perfect for a weekend away”

Shaver Lake Village Hotel
Bakersfield, California
“Perfect for a weekend away”
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have stayed here once before and it has only gotten better since we last stayed! Perfect cabin-themed atmosphere, friendly staff, beautiful grounds and just a lovely stay overall. Very reasonably priced making it perfect for a mini-getaway!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Bakersfield, California, United States
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I stayed in the bear's den. I was glad I chose cabin vs the hotel rooms, for the hotel (from looks of the outside) did not seem impressive at all. I give this place 3 stars because it seemed like everything balanced out to be just about average. There were negatives - spiders in the rooms, smoke alarm being low on batteries and beeping, the cabin not being warmed prior to our arrival so that it was colder inside than out, and took a few hours to warm up. However, there were positives - a real wood burning fireplace (although the hotel did not provide fire wood), the privacy of your own cabin, a bathroom heater, swings around an outdoor fire pit that were perfect for making s'mores with the children. The continental breakfast was nothing more than bagels (no fruit, orange juice, cereal, etc.) - so that was a bummer. But other than that, it was a good place for a family visit at shaver lake

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Carol B
Chino Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 28 October 2013

First off, let me say that we had NO experience like that of Volunteer23, and we also stayed in Room #5!
We visited this pleasant mountain town on October 25 and 26, 2013 to attend a family function. We found the hotel and the surrounding grounds clean, neat and enjoyable. This facility consists of a separate office/dining area, 4 separate cabins and the "hotel", consisting of 8 separate rooms. We found that the room was certainly nostalgic for anyone who had the opportunity to travel in this area 30-50 years ago. The entire interior is constructed of tongue and groove knotty pine boards, a refreshing change from the normally seen painted concrete or sheetrock construction. The room contained a good sized closet, a reasonably large compact refrigerator, a microwave oven a large flat screen tv and a coffeemaker. The beds were new and very comfortable. Additionally, our room had an iHome AM-FM radio that is compatible with an iPhone or iPod. This was the first we had ever seen in a hotel room. The bath was small but clean with a reasonably modern sink and toilet. The one downfall was the shower, with fair-to-poor water pressure, and a truly antique shower head.
The staff was friendly, genial and very helpful with answering questions. They were also quick to respond to requests for extra coffee and toiletries for the room.
The dining area serves a continental breakfast from 0700-1000 and has the usual fare: cereal, English muffins, bagels, oatmeal and accompaniments. Adequate.
So the bottom line....would we stay there again? An emphatic yes!

Room Tip: Note: This hotel does NOT have a fitness Center or pool. I can't delete the refrence to the fitn...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Flyboy187
California
Reviewed 25 October 2013

My wife and I stayed in Room #5 on Tuesday, October 22, 2013. After a full day of exploring the Shaver Lake area, it was "lights out" about 9:45 pm. Sometime about 10:15, with both of us fast asleep, we were awakened by someone unlocking both the room door lock and the dead bolt. The door opened, but only about 8 inches because the security chain was fastened. I yelled at the person opening the door. The door closed, with a male voice saying something like, "Whoops!"

The next morning I told the office lady of this scary experience. I asked about the fact that there were obviously two keys for Room #5. She explained that the hotel rents rooms to workers doing work in the Shaver Lake area and that sometimes these tradesmen don't read the memo outlining the day-to-day room assignments. Because of this arrangement there is more than one key for each room.

Certainly, this is an extremely poor procedure. If you decide to stay at this hotel, you will certainly want to check regarding the security of your room.

Finally, the room was very clean and the beds were comfortable. A nice place except for someone attempting to get into your room in the midd

Room Tip: Beware of strangers who might want to share your room with you in the middle of the night.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Volunteer23
Kevin T, Owner at Shaver Lake Village Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
This is an important review as it relates to security for our guests. For that reason, I will spend more time addressing it. First, let me apologize to this guest. Any hotel guests' primary concern is for their own safety and that of their family. In the 1 1/2 years we have owned the hotel, we have had no incidences requiring any sheriff response other than one very loud intoxicated guest. In this case, a guest who had stayed in Room 5 the night previous wished to extend their stay another night. The guest's roommate was given the key to another room as Room 5 was committed to this guest for that night. Unfortunately, the roommate forgot to inform the guest that they had to change rooms. When he got off work late and arrived at the hotel, he thought he was still in Room 5. He had not turned in that key as he thought he was getting the same room. That guest was embarrassed by almost walking into someone elses room.......which still doesnt explain the multiple key issue.
Several months ago, we changed all the hotel doors from hollow core to solid core doors and also changed all the hardware. We had an opportunity at that time to go to the plastic card key locks and elected not to do so. We stayed with the normal key system with deadbolts and interior chains. I personally hate the plastic key system as they are constantly being demagnitized by your phone, computers, etc. and will then not work in the doors. As a small 15 room hotel, we cannot staff the front desk 24 hours per day. You might note that we are considered "Specialty Lodging" by TripAdvisor. In order to be classified as a "Hotel", you must be open at the front desk 24 hours per day. There are no "Hotels" in Shaver Lake according to TripAdvisor. If we had the plastic keys and a guest had a problem with their key late at night, we have a very upset guest. Fortunately, the interior chain system corrected the error of the guest.......but obviously created a scary situation for this guest. Our solution may be to install interior dead bolts in addition to the chain to prevent any door from opening unexpectledly. The hotel does implement good key control however this case was unusual because the guest left the hotel early in the morning and did not return until late at night and assumed he was suppose to keep his key. Many times any hotel guest may become confused and try to enter the wrong room by mistake. The plastic key system is the best for this.......however it still does not prevent the guest from "trying" to enter the wrong room and creating a troubling moment for the guest inside hearing someone fumble at their door. I think we really need to re-think this whole key issue. I am happy to hear the room was clean and comfortable though. My sincere apologies to scaring this guest........expecially being so close to Halloween!
Perris, California
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I have stayed there before for work purposes as this trip was, but I noticed all the upgrades they have done. Rooms have new beds, larger refrigerators than I remembered, good TV's & internet service. My first part of the stay was with a co-worker in the Bears Den Cabin, then I moved to the other rooms in the Motel rooms 2,4,6.as my job ran long causing me to check out daily Each room comfortable and clean. The staff and neighboring businesses were fun to talk with and shoot the breeze. I was impressed when I called their listed number, but lost my signal due to my location, but these folks took the effort to call me back to set up another night. I enjoyed the evenings watching folks sit around the campfires and enjoying the evenings.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
pleasant hill ca
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Rocking chairs on the porch,seating areas with swings (for adults),fire pits and big trees...ya gotta love it-so relaxing!!. I somehow thought that we'd be ON Shaver Lake,or close enough to see it or walk to go boating.We only stayed for 1 night on the way to a more remote location,but I could see using these cabins as headquarters for day trips exploring the area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank eusnna
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The people here are wonderful just like the whole community. The room was also quaint and all that we could ask for for $75 on a summer weekend night. The only "but" is that all of the regular cabins were rented out and since we were so last minute we had to take all that was available...The Bunkhouse. It has a detached shared bathroom, which is a bit inconvenient. Definitely would stay again, but just book sooner to ensure a room with an attached bathroom. Loved the grounds though! The fire pits and swings were perfect to watch the sunset with a bottle of wine before we walked to dinner.

Room Tip: If you prefer a bathroom, do not book the Bunkhouse.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kristi M
Kevin T, Owner at Shaver Lake Village Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Thank you Kristi for your review. It was unfortunate we were unable to provide you a standard room or cabin........July just happens to be our busiest month. It is always best to try to book the rooms online in advance as we are a small hotel with limited rooms. As stated on the website, the Bunkhouses are one step above camping requiring your own linens and bedding and having a seperate bathroom unlike the hotel and cabins with their private bathrooms. The Bunkhouses do have heat, ceiling fan, free wifi, flat screen tv, blueray player, private deck, outdoor barbeque, and a continental breakfast though.........so a nice step above camping. We are starting our outdoor movies this week so hopefully you will come back and enjoy our Forest Theater!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shaver Lake
Chateau du Sureau
#1 of 9 in Oakhurst
Americas Best Value Inn Yosemite-Oakhurst
Yosemite Southgate Hotel & Suites

Been to Shaver Lake Village Hotel? Share your experiences!