“Great stay, convenient and quiet, mostly well run”
Review of Placerville KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shingle Springs
Placerville KOA
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Site 70, long time KOA customers, Placerville is one of the better KOAs in the
Northern California area. Great play area (the reason we come). nice activities,
well organized. They had a BBQ rib dinner Saturday night, lots of food (and lots of
leftovers) + pancake breakfast. Room for improvement, as the grounds could
use a "de-junking". Our campsite was across from a pile of old mattresses
and pallets... a lot of junk around could be removed which would improve
the facility greatly.

Stayed: September 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank fatjohnbb

Reviewed 26 May 2013

This was the first KOA campsite we had ever been to and it really set the standard! Great location as it is just off the freeway. The site had great amenities for when travelling with children. My daughter enjoyed playing in the park, looking at the goats and going down to the pond. The staff were nice and helpful and even lent us some of their tools as our rental RV needed some basic work doing.

The shop could have done with a bit more stock in it as there wasn't loads of choice but that would be my only issue, on the whole it was a great site.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Rob W
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I've never stayed at a KOA before. Ive always done either hotels or straight tent camping without any ammenities besides toilets so this is a very honest opinion on this campsite without any comparisons.

The campground is very easy to get to. Literally right off the freeway to the first left and up about 15 seconds. My husband and I were going up for the wine passport weekend and found the rest of our group very easy. Parking was very close to our campsite which I appreciated because I was able to see my car the whole time (if you have a spot in the back you wont be able to see your extra car). Clubhouse was very close with nice bathrooms and showers. The store is cute with everything you might need (although at the prices I might go down the street to the Safeway if you forgot a good amount of stuff).

The site was a tad run down I have to say. The fishing area really does need some work - the water is very dirty and looks almost like someone put vegetable oil or something in it. We did see about 9 huge catfish and tons of little minnows so you could actually catch something. I didnt go to the mini golf since we didnt bring the kids but it looked "OK" to me. The playground looked good. The Basket ball court was something different though - its covered in grass and short weeds - I found that a little annoying because you could never actually dribble a ball on the court - my husband thought it was nice and looked like a unique park atmosphere basketball court - to each thier own I guess. The pool and spa didnt open until May so we didnt get to check that out.

I didnt notice a large amount of freeway noise and we were parked right next to the freeway so I dont see this being an issue at all.

We went down to the store the first nice for some ice and John (the cashier) was very nice. The second night we went back down and the lady working the register was not nearly as polite - she seemed to be in a pretty bad mood. They say they have wi-fi but our password never worked and when it did it would drop the signal within 30 seconds (this was on 4 different phones) - one of my friends in the group said that the staff says it really works best on computers and not so well on phones.

The communal fire area is run down. There are weeds all around it and the benches are in pretty bad shape. We tried to sit down on some table/chair sets in the back of the main benches and the almost snapped on us so we stood in the weeds and tried to enjoy the fire.

The best part of the trip was when I woke up on Sunday. Our elected coffee maker hadnt gotten the coffee started yet which was not OK with me - I walked over to the clubhouse at 7:15 in the morning in search of coffee - the store wasnt opened yet and I didnt have wi-fi to check the location of the nearest starbucks - I was reaching panic mode when an employee came out of the store and asked if I needed help - I told him I need a starbucks and he walked over to a little box with paper in it, pulled out directions to the starbucks and handed them to me. I had a hot starbucks in my hand less than 10 minutes later. That guy was awesome and I wish I had his name.

Would I go back? Doubt it. I might for the kids to play some mini-golf or something but not having the wi-fi when I shoulld have was a big deal for me and the place did look just a little too dingy for me. I guess I would say I can't recommend it but wouldnt tell people not to stay thier either. Just kind of eh.....

Room Tip: If you want to see your car in the extra parking get a spot closest to the clubhouse.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank iansgal51510
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I ended up staying at this KOA because for some inexplicable reason, the South Lake Tahoe KOA is closed in the winter. I wanted a cabin and camping experience and was headed to Adventure Mountain for some sledding fun with the kids, but didn't want to spend $350 per night in South Lake Tahoe.

The Placerville KOA is very nice and well maintained. Everything was clean and orderly. The bathrooms were adequate and the showering facilities by the main office were very nice. Upon check in, I felt comfortable and welcomed and the store has a little of everything you may need for your stay.

We stayed in a 2 room cabin and at the time I write this, they only had 1 that came with a microwave and refrigerator. It has a double bed in the front room and a double and bunk bed in the 2nd room. The cabin is typical KOA as they all pretty much look the same. (See posted pictures) What was nice about this one is the proximity to other cabins. Some KOAs have cabins almost on top of each other; this one (#108) and all the cabins here are adequately spaced apart. However, this only adds to my frustration with a policy that caused me to not give this the highest rating. Other KOA's, which I have stayed at before, allow tents on cabin sites; Placerville KOA does not. This doesn't really make sense to me because you are charged per person and I paid for a 6 person cabin, we had 6 people, so what difference does it make if I set up a small tent for the kids to play/sleep in? The cabins in Placerville are spaced out more than many other KOA's (a plus) so the real estate is definitely there. I don't get it! They also don't allow wood, ground fires so not pit for S'mores or campfire songs. Apparently this is per the fire department but still a disappointment.

Red Hawk Casino is close and you can call a number and they will send a shuttle for you at the campsite and bring you back. We were with kids and didn't partake in that but it's good to know.

All in all it was a very pleasant stay and a very nice KOA.

Room Tip: If you don't need a refrigerator and microwave, chose a cabin that does not back up to highway 5...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Gregg D
Reviewed 1 November 2012

We decided to have our first family reunion at this campground due to the fact that we have stayed here a couple of times before in our 36' 5th wheel and they have several sites that will accommodate an RV with grass area's that accommodate tents adjoining, which we had 4 tents for a total of 14 people not including my brother's family of 8 in which he decided to rent 3 adjoining cabins which were very nice little log cabins. We arrived Friday afternoon and were greeted by the owners John & Cindy and were escorted to our site, which I was very impressed with the personal attention. This was my brother's first time at a KOA and he was very impressed with the cabins, once camp was set up we decided to go for the buffet at Red Hawk Casino, which is only 1/2 mile away the office staff called the casino and they sent a shuttle to pick us up. We had a fantastic dinner and we were brought back to the campground via the casino shuttle. We decided to stay at the KOA due to we went white water rafting the next morning and my wife and a few other chickens decided they would rather visit Apple Hill and do some shopping downtown main St. in Placerville, so everything was only 10-20 min away for all of us. We used the swimming pool which was very clean and they also had a hot tub, which came in handy after a day of rafting. There is a common fire pit available to campers that the owners supply the wood free of charge, so we bought the ingredients for smorres from there well stocked general store, it seemed that they carried everything that you would typically forget when it comes to planning meals, etc. Other amenities included adult and child racing tricycles that you can rent, there is a huge play structure and swings for younger kids, not to mention a miniature golf course that appeared to be new and had some challenging holes, even some that were harder than some of the greens at Apple Mountain Golf course that I had the opportunity to play. It was one of the most scenic golf courses I have played in central California, except Pebble Beach/Spy Glass. There is a fishing pond with a beautiful island in the middle, fishing was closed due to end of the season and the water level being low, but I could literally see the fish, I'll be sure to come earlier in the year next year, because the pictures I seen of the fish being caught they were in the 3-5lbs range. I'm not sure why this island and pond was referred to as a mud hole it’s the type of place that you would grab a book and sit under one of the big shade trees and relax. Sunday morning the owners and their family make breakfast for the entire camp inside the pavilion. $4 gets you, eggs made to order with bacon, sausage, toast, juice or coffee, or pancake breakfast, and assortment of cereals, this was great it saved me from cooking for 20 people and enabled me to make my 10:15 tee time at Apple Mountain. Other amenities I noticed before I run out of room, private shower rooms, clean restrooms, laundry facility's, game room, fully stocked store with food, drinks, RV supplies dump station, free Wi-Fi, Goats that can be pet, ducks, geese, full grass dog run, swings, volleyball court, horse shoes and basketball. Not to mention that the pavilion was available to us for a BBQ and it was equipped with sinks for food prep and clean up and there were 12 plus picnic tables and electrical outlets for blender and homemade Ice cream machines that we brought. To end this review I’ll say not real sure why this one person who took photos of only negative staged photos, therefor I took the time to take some pictures of the facilities through my perspective of this campground. My family and I really enjoyed our stay here and will come back again next year. Hope my review, photos and info help you to have a great getaway, after all isn’t camping one of the best ways to bring family’s together.

Room Tip: The owners are very accommodating, and if you desire a certain type of site I'm sure the will be...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank JWADS
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We took our four youngest grandsons for a weekend get away. We were in our 5th wheel. The staff was very nice and friendly. We made our decision for this location based on their web site, web site photos, etc....keeping in mind that this weekend was for the boys.

This KOA looks like it was probably a very nice place back when it was at it's peak. However, we observed a campground that was in need of some serious maintenance that has obviously been deferred for years. There was fencing and railing delapadated and falling down, woodwork that hasn't saw a coat of stain/sealer probably since it was built. Landscaping overgrown onto the sidewalks and pool deck with much of it dying or dead in large patches. While it looks like it had an adequate irrigation system at one time it was obvious by the large areas of dead, brown or now non-existent turf areas that it's been neglected for years.

I'm not sure how they can keep getting the prices that they charge considering the neglect of the landscape maintenance. They have to be relying solely on the location for that. We will not be returning to this campground or referring any of our friends.

They do have a nice kids playground and it's in the shade. A "petting zoo" that exists of three goats. A fishing pond that looks more like a mud hole and the water was green and nasty looking. Some of the KOA cabins looked like they hadn't seen a coat of stain/sealer since they were installed years ago while a few others looked as though they were only a few years old.

The pool water appeared to be clean however, the tile was very dirty.....actually nasty. We also noticed tile missing. There was vegitation overgrown on the pool deck and walkways as well as at other locations in the park. Somebody dumped a few loads of lawn clippings at the edge of the pool and it's just sitting there in a pile of leaves and rubbish, decaying.

The hot tub is closed to everybody below 18 (even if there's adult supervison) and that's a nice feture however, for some odd reason the hot tub doesn't open until 4:00 p.m. As adults we would have appreciated it early in the mornings so that was disapointing for us.

There are rotted fence posts, rails, siding, etc. throughout the park in various locations. Just further signs of much deferred maintenance and neglect. Just be aware that the photos on their web site must have been taken many years ago when this campground was new. I didn't even recognize the lodge (store/office) once we arrived until we returned home and I looked at the picture again. That building also is in much need of a good pressure wash and a coat of stain/sealer. A little maint. could go a long, long way to enhance the appearance of this campground.

Even though the park is located in a beautiful, natural setting, it's been drawn down a few levels by the placement of chessy plastic flowers in key areas such as the entrance/exit and in front the kids playground.

Crossing the bridgeway over to the fishing island was an adventure in itself. I could actually feel just how loose the boards were under every step, crossing over the mud hole on the bridge.

The RV sites are right next to the freeway and while it's not as noticable during the day......at night the freeway is very noisy, even inside an RV that's closed up and the A/C running.

Other items were more of a nuscience issue rather than specifically related to this campground. Our grandsons were constantly stepping on stickers, getting them in their hands and the b-b-q was full of cigarette butts upon our arrival (even smell a cigarette butt burning? I can't imagine what 20 or 30 would have been like).

In closing I'd just like to say that it's obvious to this writer that the maint. dept. doesn't take any pride in their work and it's obvious that supervison is lacking. Other than some basic hand tools, pressure washer, stain/sealer and screws nuts & bolts the only thing that's needed is somebody that has an eye for detail and takes pride in their labor and it could be brought back to it's once former beauty in just a season or two.

We've all heard "a picture speaks a thousand words" and so I took the liberty of taking a few. These photos were taken in Sept. 2012.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank JCZhome
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I based my stay here on this description: Tent w/water - These shady sites are nestled in a natural setting in the back away from the highway. When I arrived I checked into site 71. It was 97 degrees out at 1pm (check in time is noon). My site had about 3 leaves worth of shade. And the faucet was not available because they had a landscaping hose connected to it. I went to the office and talked to them and they said "oh none of our tent sites have shade". That's the best shade we offer. So clearly I was unprepared. A $30 stay turned into much more because I had to go buy myself other items to make the stay bearable in that heat. I could have rented a hotel room instead. The amenities are ok (standard KOA fare)- the staff is friendly and the bathrooms & showers are clean. I just felt like their description of what I was going to get was really erroneous.

Room Tip: If you are going in a tent or trailer during the summer & you do not have A/C you better call &a...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pam W

Been to Placerville KOA? Share your experiences!