“What a gem!”
Review of High Country Inn

High Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Sierra City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My sister and I just returned from a wonderful stay at the High Country Inn. We were there a couple nights, and with the peace and serenity, I could have stayed weeks. Bob is an amazing cook and a terrific host. I'd describe the breakfasts, but I'd never do them justice and I'm sure I'd leave out some of the ingredients, so let's just say it was all delicious; from the presentation to the taste. Organic melons, fresh herbs from the garden, and homemade breads and muffins, and that's just for starters. And he was so attentive to making sure we had everything we needed and there was no concern that we are vegetarian. Oh and what a treat to return home in the afternoons after a day of hiking and a platter of homemade cookies awaited us. And the gardens were such a delight, filled with flowers, wonderful birds, and tranquility, with the buttes always there in the distance.
We certainly will be returning. Thank you Bob.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the room with 2 beds and a private deck, fronting the back garden and view. The jacuzzi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Robert L, Owner at High Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you for your recent visit and the wonderful review you just posted! We are always very pleased when guest write a review and express appreciation not only for the meals, the location, views from the rooms of the Sierra Buttes, sounds of the water running by but talking about our flower gardens! This is one of my real passions, if only I could grow Tomatoes at this elevation! My Magenta Peonies just started blooming today and they always take by breath away they are so beautiful. Also congratulations to both of you for having made the hike up to the Lookout on the top of the Buttes, good job! Thanks again.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Bob and Bette have a beautiful place and love to share it. Clean and well kept, the room we stayed in was fantastic. The grounds are vibrant with flowers, alive with birds and squirrels and a lush lawn with a reflecting pond top off this glorious place in the mountains. Close to the Gold Lakes basin, it is but a short drive to more mountain beauty. Breakfast was excellent and served while viewing the Sierra Buttes as the morning sun set them alight. My wife and I very much enjoyed our stay and look forward to visiting again.

Room Tip: The bubble tub in the Howard Creek Suite was excellent therapy after a long bicycle ride.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Robert L, Owner at High Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

We thank you for your recent visit and review and are very pleased to hear that you had a great time. My hat is off to both of you for riding your road bicycles on you 45 mile loop from the Inn through some beautiful country in the Lakes Basin Area and the Sierra Valley and returning back to relax on your private deck for some well earned R&R! We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The most beautiful setting...listening to the Yuba river and birds while staring out at the Butte mountains, aspen trees, bluejays, watching a family of squirrels, smelling the fresh pine air! Our room was perfect and the hosts, Bob & Bette, served delicious breakfasts (& homemade cookies)! They were so accommodating, we felt like we have known them a long time. We definitely will be back!

Room Tip: We stayed in the a Golden Pond room - I will pick again.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 388donnab
Robert L, Owner at High Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you for your recent review of our Inn and we are happy that you had a great stay and I would also like to thank you for your recent referral of one of your friends who is also coming to stay with us in July. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

We stayed in the high country suite, for a last minute get away. Spectacular views from our room cathedral window of the buttes with the autumn yellowed aspens shimmering in the pond. The room was large, clean, quaint and quiet. We appreciated having the mini fridge and two wine glasses provided, each evening we shared a glass of wine , watching the dusk colors change the view. It was so peaceful, relaxing and restful! The location couldn't have been better to take in the Buttes without having to camp. Bob is a wonderful host, helping us with great recommendations on were to hike and eat. We will return.

1  Thank Amy R
Robert L, Owner at High Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

We thank you for your review and hope to see you again in 2014!

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Bob and Bette are the kindest people. They are very respectful and treat you like royalty. Every little need was thought of before hand. The food was excellent. Bob went way out of his way to make a beautifully displayed breakfast, that I swear that he had to get up in the wee hours of the morning to fix. We stayed in the Golden Pond room and it was more then can be expected. The price was very reasonable. It was so peaceful and serene here. My husband and I were very relaxed. We were celebrating our 27th Anniversary. This was the very best Bed and Breakfast that we have ever stayed at!! Thank you Bob and Bette!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent stay with us and we are glad that you enjoyed your visit.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

Bob & Bette are very accommodating. My husband and I felt as though they were old friends with them.......and it's hard to imagine that we just met! Their place is beautiful and well kept. Nothing beats listening to the river while you sleep and waking up to the incredible (and everchanging throughout the day) view of the Sierra Buttes. The breakfasts are gourmet. We could not have picked a better spot! There is a great diner caddycorner from them at Bassetts Station (they close at 4:00) if you want a "diner meal" with locals. Food and service is really good. We will definitely visit Bob & Bette the next time we are in town visiting friends!

Room Tip: The Golden Pond Room is on the ground level with a king size bed. We may choose a different room (j...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Robert L, Owner at High Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Thank you for your review and we are happy that you enjoyed the Golden Pond Suite, the views of the Sierra Buttes from your bed are the best! Thanks again for coming to our Inn

Reviewed 3 October 2013

magnificent experience
I was invited to a wedding in Sierra City and chosen High Country Inn for the place to stay. Bob the owner took care of me and my brother wonderfully and we had magnificent experience in High Country Inn bed and breakfast. He was very helpful to assist us with everything we needed and feed us wonderful food.
This place is like heaven, wonderful scenery, comfortable space, great food, and very caring person with great sense of humor. We loved our stay and we know we will beck there again and again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

I am glad to see the very nice review you gave us. You and your brother were fun guests and I enjoyed seeing how much you enjoyed our area and was happy to hear that the wedding you attended was so much fun, thanks again for your visit!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sierra City
#1 of 1 in Portola
Carriage House Inn
Carriage House Inn
#2 of 3 in Downieville

Been to High Country Inn? Share your experiences!