“Peaceful, comfortable, beautiful setting!!”
Review of High Country Inn

High Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Sierra City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My husband and I went to a birthday party close to Sierra City.We heard about the quaint little town and all the lakes and hikes.So glad we decided to stay at High Country Inn! Bob was a wonderful host, from the time we got there to the time we left. The golden pond suite was immaculate,beautiful views, we could hear the Yuba river from our windows, the soft babbling sounds put us to sleep. Breakfast was amazing,(Denver Brunch) all the fresh fruit, the tomatoes,and the basil, frittata,and a home made carrot cake?My husband loved it, but not sure what it was. A little footnote, when I got home I couldn't find my glasses,(I need them to drive) so I called Bob and he sent them right away,well packed, I offered to pay the 5.60 but he insisted No!
Top notch Gentleman& Host most importantly A great B&B!!!

Room Tip: golden pond suite was quiet, comfortable, beautiful! Has a private deck with the Yuba river
1  Thank 108izzy
Robert L, Owner at High Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

I am glad to hear that your glasses got back to you, it is always a hard swallow when I realize that I have forgotten something and then try to reconstruct in the mind, where did I have that last? Happy to hear that the room was all that you expected and the sound of the river going by outside your room helped you fall asleep at night! You aren't that far away so we hope you can visit again at some time in the future. Thanks again for having found us here at HCI.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I stayed in the Butte Suite overnight so that we could go to a local outdoor music event. It was beautiful, with vaulted ceilings, a clawed foot tub, two sinks, a fireplace, refrigerator and microwave. There were even cozy robes for us to wear. The room overlooks the river and a pond. The grounds were amazing, we took a nice romantic walk in the morning. The breakfast was fresh and delicious. The fruit plate was beautiful. My husband loved the frittata. I am a vegan, and was accommodated with a delicious fresh vegetable plate. We cannot say enough nice things about this place. Very friendly. We will be back!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Robert L, Manager at High Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you for your recent stay with us and we are glad to hear that you had a good time during your visit and thank you for the comments about our flower gardens and our trail around our pond and the great views of the Sierra Buttes from the Inn. Our location is special not only to our guests but to us as well and we must take a time out once in a while and just sit on the deck, listen to the river and stare at the jacked rock that are the Sierra Buttes and be re energized in body and soul!

Reviewed 3 August 2014

This was our first stay here and already we are planning our next visit. Immaculately clean, extremely comfortable and well appointed. The property is so beautiful and serene that there is no need to go out for the day. The scenic vista and sounds of the river mesmerized me into bliss.
The breakfasts and hospitality are superb. We loved it!!!

Room Tip: There are no less than good rooms here. We stayed in the Golden Pond suite, it is perfect.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Robert L, Owner at High Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you for your recent visit to HCI, we never tire of the comments that guests like yourselves post on Tripadvisor. We do read and reply to each one and are always interested in implementing suggestions that guests tell us about. We are always trying to make every guests visit special to them and look forward to a return visit. Thanks again!

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Want to get away? We have found the perfect place to relax, enjoy nature and beauty at their best, while luxuriating with an in room spa, the majestic Sierra Buttes and Yuba River within reach, lovely flower gardens, a terrific host serving chocolate chip cookies and a healthy breakfast frittata with hot muffins, caprese salad, and fresh fruit. There's plenty to see and do in Sierra City, Downieville, and Lakes Basin if you are not content with peace & quiet and a good book. The wildlife is a joy to behold, especially George, Jr., the Jeffrey Pine squirrel. We will return.

Stayed: July 2014
Robert L, Owner at High Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you for staying with us and we are very happy to read your comments about your adventures while here. George is still in command of the Blue Jays and if anything he has become more protective of his peanut container and continues to intimidate the Jays! The baby ducks are just about to begin their flight training on the pond, much of the practice is viewed from the breakfast table every morning, never a dull moment with the critters here. We look foward to your next visit.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at the High Country Inn for our anniversary - it was for just one night but we would love to have stayed for longer! We were in the Golden Pond room with a bay window adjacent to our bed that opened onto the Yuba River. The sound of the water rolling over the rocks made falling and staying asleep so easy. We woke in the morning to a gentle rain and lay in bed looking at Sierra Buttes perfectly framed by a large arched window across the room. We ate a delicious breakfast prepared by the friendly and helpful host as we watched ducks, Blue Jays, doves, hummingbirds, king fishers, and squirrels in and around the pond in the backyard. The High Country Inn is located near many beautiful lakes and trails, which offer great opportunities for outdoor adventure ranging from hiking and mountain biking to camping and fishing. The High Country Inn is in a beautiful setting and offers a peaceful get-away for one night or several.

Room Tip: Learn about the rooms by reading descriptions on the High County Inn website. We loved the Golden P...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Robert L, Owner at High Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thank you for your review and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to see all of the wildlife here from the breakfast table in the morning. Watching all of the animals is always a treat for us as well as we never know who might be on the other side of the window. "George" the Douglas Pine Squirrel has become the top dog and has great fun in chasing the Stellar Blue Jays from the feeder so he can be the one in charge. Thanks again for the nice review and we hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

My wife and I stayed last week; we've been staying there for ten years. The Inn is a beautiful, comfortable place to stay, in magical surroundings. We stay in the Golden Pond or the Sierra Buttes suite to get the river sounds in our side windows and an unbelievable scenic view of the Buttes out the back window. Bob seems to know everybody in the vicinity, certainly he knows the great places for dinner. Bob's breakfasts are artsy and nourishing at the same time.

Keep this a secret though, we don't want lots of people clogging up the wonderful hiking trails in Bob's neighborhood.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Robert L, Owner at High Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank you again for your recent review of HCI, I am always glad when guests have an enjoyable stay with us and it is even more enjoyable when folks such as you two, come back year after year to enjoy their next adventure in the high country. Also once again congratulations on the publishing of your latest novel! We hope it is very successful for you as it was more than two years in the making. I also really like the little "Red Rocket" you came in this trip, keep it on the road, thanks again.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

This was a great birthday present from my love to spend some time in nature at a beautiful location with some beautiful hosts. The place has easy access. It has a spectacular view of the Sierra Buttes and the hosts created a beautifully garnished breakfast.
Thanks,
Melissa

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

We are happy that you had an enjoyable "Get Away" for your birthday! Thank you for your kind comments about our Inn, we hope to see you in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sierra City
#2 of 2 in Clio
No photo provided
My Sisters Cottage
#3 of 5 in Sierra City

Been to High Country Inn? Share your experiences!